The Sunset Rocking The Overbids!

Sure PM

Ok, my family friend the big time flipper is helping me. Thanks, @Elt1. He can do the research and tell me what is feasible there and thus if worth it or not.

Hi @sfdragonboy - just curious, have you dealt with the 311 process, neighborhood notification process, and the discretionary review process in SF for a personal residential project where the exterior envelope is changing?

If so, then perhaps that is good training wheels for building from scratch in SF.

If not, then @Elt1 has very wise words…

2 Likes

Nope. Now, do you mean with respect to the lot that I am looking into? I am just the middle man here. Not enough experience and money to fully develop in the Fab 7x7 from scratch. My family friend has advised me well enough - he will determine what is allowed on the lot at the current regulations and then go backwards to understand what that lot is worth to his developer buddies. If the margin is sufficient enough or profitable enough even with cushion, he would advise me to buy it then.

My handler at the exchange intermediary has already advised me that yes I can buy a commercial lot to satisfy exchange. He advises me to hold for at least a year though.

As my mortgage broker Tracie confirmed, my equity loan at prime rate would be way cheaper than hard money loans, so funds are locked and loaded.

1 Like

How about 1.6M for a fixer in outer sunset?

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Francisco/2527-42nd-Ave-94116/home/1280360?utm_source=myredfin&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ios_share&utm_nooverride=1&utm_content=link

1 Like

It looked like it is in a really good condition. Old, but still didnt look like a lot of worj. What is your estimate on cost to make it new?

100k?

Unlike your home style (Rousseau), this style in the Sunset I never cared for much. Yeah, it’s got some ocean views but 1.65M for a semi fixer in the 40s? I think the buyer overspent big time…

I think the big draw is the double garage and extra bathroom. Especially the double garage is very desirable and not many homes have that in sunset.

3 Likes

True, double garage is nice…the balcony front look I just never really cared for.

1 Like

For primary - it will need update pretty much all the infrastructure - plumbing, electrical, heating, insulation, windows, etc. Easily 150K even for average fixtures. I mean if you are doing all these things - you may as well gut the rest and do it right.

But if it is just flip then cheap lipstick as much as possible.

1 Like

Side by side garage definitely adds another 50K to 100K premium. Tandem parking just suck and major inconvenience, the car park in the back will not be driven 80% time…

1 Like

Agreed, side by side garage with some driveway to boot is sweet in the Sunset. If I had that, I might have stayed…

How about the cost of road noise?

There was a house on sale on the same street with the house i was interested in. It was at the intersection with a very busy road, and yard was noisy. How much is that worth, normally?

I think road noise in the Sunset Blvd area is not too bad since it has some island of trees filtering it out a little. Maybe 50K less?

The one exception would be of course if you owned and lived on 19th Avenue, the freeway…

1 Like

I would avoid 19th Avenue for a primary… I mean I just don’t understand how anyone feel safe driving in and out of their garages living on 19th. And the round the clock noise!!!

1 Like

Yeah, breathing in all that car soot can’t be good for you…

Totally yeah ---- but that house on 42nd has two single car garage doors with what I bet to be a big post in the middle. That’s also super-irritating. Get a steel beam up in the ceiling and eliminate posts that bisect the garage.

If you want to work on your car, you want to park your car in the middle of the garage during those times so that you have access to both sides.