Thinking about selling my primary -> rental home

The 250k/500k is too small for Bay Area. Long term owners will be discouraged from selling

and save on CA tax too right?
CA is another 13.3% . if no 250/500k that’s like 33.3% total

guys, can we get back to the topic?

1)what is a good comission rate you guys think i should pay negotiate at?
2) what other fees besides the comission fee i need to be aware of?

3.5% to 4% for bay area depending on property and agent

Base rate is 1% sell side + 2.5% buy side, so total 3.5% commission. But I think you can push the sell side to 0.5 to 0.75%. Most agents are hungry for business. Similarly you can set the buy side to 2 or even 1.5%. If you are cut throat you may even try only giving 1% to buying agent. What can they do? Tell clients not bid on your house? There are so few inventories they may never make a buck.

So you can potentially get away with 0.5% + 1% = 1.5% total for commissions.

There are tons of little fees and taxes. You can try Redfin’s calculator to see how much you will net. Biggest is the transfer tax. I don’t remember what the rate is. Next is staging, which can run you 5 to 10k. Of course you’d have to paint, carpet and doll up the house etc. Are you paying for an inspection? That can alert you to problems you can have it fixed so the transaction will go smoother. Any bad things on your 3R? You may want to get a report and see if there are any lapses on permits.

2 Likes

@dioworld how big is your house if you don’t mind me asking? If it’s a small house I might be interested.

1 Like

will quality agents charge market rates? In Bay Area(low inventory) is there a positive effect of “Quality” agents who can bring in more profits than the delta excess to average that they charge in commission?

Why not PM? Publicly discussed deals may break under pressure

There may be value for seller agents, but almost zero for a buyer agent.

1 Like

99% chance it’s out of my budget but yes @dioworld can PM me if it’s one of those smaller ones.

Most buy side commission is 2.5%. I would rather pay buyer agent 3% to attract more offers.

Listing agent can be a little lower.

You are welcome to throw your money away. :smile:

If you are going to sell your house, would you hire a listing agent or list it yourself?

I’m willing to pay more if it makes a difference. Do buyer agent look at commission rate?

Get a good agent. bad agents are as good as listing it yourself. A good agent makes a world of difference. A bad/evil agent also makes a negative world of difference.

How do you tell good from bad? I would eliminate frequent double dipping agent

See who’s moving the bulk of the property in your area. Usually it’s a handful. See the comps on what they are selling at. Interview them. Ask them how they are going to market and stage your property. what is their open house plan? how many/how often? when will they take offers? What is their negotiation strategy. How do they handle buyers who want them to be the buyer agent? probably others have more questions

4 Likes

I’m debating doing this in the spring when prices tend to peak each year.

I’ve done what you said in 2017, based on my experience, you are good for full 500K if you move out after you live 2 years, and sell within 3 years of your move out date and don’t move back in. The only thing you need to pay back is depreciations you claimed during your rental period, you will pay back as capital gain.

I’ve paid 4% (2.5% for buyer & 1.5% for listing agent) or 3% if my agent represent the buyers. So depending on your relationship with the agent, you should be explicit about if you want them to do dual agents or not.

5 Likes

sorry guys, was hella busy talking to contractor & agent. PM me if you need info please

thanks boolean for the advice.