This, Is Why Google Is Google

Instructor time is probably 1 time thing, video recorded once and then video replayed by each student. One time cost divided by hundreds of students probably comes to cents/person .

I do too.

Google isn’t hiring them though. Google,FB,Amazon,Apple yada yada keep crying they can’t find trained people. But, their own training isn’t good enough for them?

Well, true… IF these “trained” people find jobs.

1 Like

It depends on role. I met data engineers at Amazon who had a 2-year degree or coding boot camp. My current employer hires from a boot camp that trains women to transition to a coding role. Then there’s the other extreme of people with PhDs doing advanced AI stuff. Amazon is so huge that there is a wide variety of roles. It honestly doesn’t make sense to hire over qualified people, since they’ll just get bored. Not everyone at those tech combines is doing bleeding edge stuff.

2 Likes

I know one Phd(from top school) working in Google as a software engineer - NOT advanced AI or Data Science but supporting Google Pay backend. Even Bachelor’s CompSci Degree is enough for such jobs.

Also, Google(and I suspect the others too, maybe not Amazon) are super focussed on GPA and school pedigree when hiring. Hence, all these from Tweets from Pichai and others, I take with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

Just to appear as good corporate citizens.

Look at their academic qualifications and those they promote as top management. You would realize founders are people who think highly of those metrics. Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, …

1 Like

Google said they will treat diploma from that online course as equivalent to a 4-year college program. Just like you aren’t guaranteed a position at Google if you are in the top 10% from a random 4-year college, you aren’t guaranteed anything with the online course either.

There are many nano-programs on Coursera. I remember Microsoft had one, Nvidia had one, and so do many top tier colleges. The most difficult thing for online programs is sticking with it. Dropout rate is extremely high.

I often wonder, is programming a skill like driving, i.e. a skill almost everyone with normal mental faculties can master? Or is it like abstract math that’s not? Something in between? Out of 100 random people, how many can you make an average programmer out of?

Would love to see some theories and studies on this.

I think anyone can be intermediate at it. The way I view it is anyone who is capable of doing repeatable tasks that require some logic should be able to code. You just write code that applies the logic and does the task for you. That’s not cutting edge stuff, but it can have a huge impact on productivity.

1 Like

Folks who are shallow trained can probably work for the first 2-3 yrs in their career. If they’re smart or dedicated, they’ll learn more things along the way, which will boost their career growth.

It’s the people who are stagnant and yet rack up seniority. They’ll demand higher pay and larger scope, but if you haven’t learned in the first few yrs, you’ll just be unproductive leading a team. Now companies somehow deal with these unhappy senior engineers, which is now a huge HR problem. They know this, so they creat up-or-out culture, or just not hire who don’t look diligent. High GPA at top colleges is unfortunately a great way to summarize someone’s first 20 yrs of life.

1 Like

Shouldn’t there be a place where people just clock in their 9 to 5 but stay at the same level for life? “Up or out” is the exception rather than the rule in corporate America I think? There is not much “up” for an assembly worker or a mail delivery person. They just do their job well, get paid for it, but otherwise just enjoy life.

It’s the worst when their skills get obsolete and they’re at the top of the sr engineer pay band. That’s when a company will manage them out, and they’ll find the job market isn’t as great as they thought. Working in tech is committing yourself to continual learning. Some people have that natural curiosity and others don’t.

ADT+Nest is a good way to go…

Disconnect your ADT, Nest, and Ring.

This is truly revolutionary, but doubtful Google will make any money off it.

‘It will change everything’: DeepMind’s AI makes gigantic leap in solving protein structures

1 Like

Google is on path to become majority Asian. I wonder if then the SJW crowd will turn against Asians. They’ll be the ones blocking the more favored minorities from getting jobs at google.

1 Like

Indians. Many hi-tech companies are turning into that. Off the cuff, MSFT MU ADBE …

The program is one of many initiatives the tech industry has undertaken to improve diversity in its workforce.

Google, like many in the tech industry, has sometimes blamed the “pipeline” problem for the disparity, meaning that there aren’t enough qualified minority candidates to fill tech roles.

Diversity is a codeword for getting more Blacks into the workforce. Ditto for minority.

Too busy with China and mainland Chinese. May be later.

No monopoly, shouldn’t be illegal.

I use DuckDuckGo now anyways except for maps.

1 Like

So people only use Google Cloud if Google agrees to invest in their company?