This, Is Why Google Is Google

1 Like

tech people , always complaining about pay and never happy

1 Like

I wonder if their attrition rate has actually changed, or they are just whining. Google employees seem to be chronic complainers.

3 Likes

Is because of the open culture advocated by the founders. Naive of them, can’t deal with the openness, pass the baton to Sundar. Is ok when the size is small, openness is not suitable for large companies, need some regimentation and structure.

2 Likes

“Don’t be evil”…

At least Amazon doesn’t pretend to not be evil.

2 Likes

Corporations goals are just one - to make money for shareholders/owners “within the laws of the countries they operate in”. It’s not a moral test but a legal one.

Btw, I agree with your statement quoted above.

YouTube Says It Is Gaining on TikTok in Short-Video Race

Alphabet’s Google discloses Shorts monthly viewership for first time amid heightened competition from TikTok and Instagram Reels

Can’t these celebrities find a low ego partner? One mountain can’t have two tigers!

I disagree with the sentiment in the captions of the chart. Sure, Google’s revenue is still mostly search, but its other bets, most notably Youtube and Google Cloud, have grown pretty well. Just that its original search business is a phenomenally good one shouldn’t detract from these other “side bets”.

1 Like

I would love to see the same chart for spending. That’s the real issue. They are spending tons on the “Other” and haven’t really hit on anything. They’ve spent billions acquiring Motorola, Nest, etc and ran them into the ground. In 2008, Apple’s biggest revenue product was iMac. Imagine where Apple would be today if that was still true.

Macs wasn’t a great business. A fairer comparison for Apple would be the iPhone. I don’t think Apple will ever grow out of its dependence on iPhone. The much ballyhooed service segment is still mostly the software revenue of the iPhone.

Google tried lots of things. Quite a few grew to billion users platforms: Gmail, Chrome browser, Android, Youtube etc. Sure, it had lots of flops as well, like the never ending editions of chat apps. I think the homeruns it had more than make up for the failures.

1 Like

Phone has been less than 50% of revenue for awhile… You’ve also been predicting the demise of iPhone for years.

Take a look at the services revenue and tells me how much of it comes from iPhone.