Today Market

Well it could be worse.
We put some of the finest minds of the previous generation to work building weapons of mass destruction.
Still - were it not for all the wasted human capital of the last half century we would likely have colonies on Saturn’s moons by now. I remember the film Outland in '81 (Sean Connery). At the time we thought that would be the future by 2020.

Almost every futuristic movie prediction is about a horrible disastrous time. Star Trek was an exception, but was really a commentary about the present back then. I think the anti science movement is a reaction to the Bomb that has made every one pessimistic about the future.

It’s skepticism as much as pessimism. The environmentalists of the 70’s thought all of India would have starved to death by now. Instead they had the “green revolution” (a term for figuring out how to grow lots more food - quite different from what “green” means today). There was also that “carbon death/iceball earth” business. There was “peak oil.” How much “science” has turned out to be bunk? Even things like dietary cholesterol.

1 Like

Millions of things are completed using science and technology. Yet a few hiccups and hypes by vested interest, people lose faith. Humans :clown_face:

And not all of arable land in India has even been exploited.

The science looses meaning when those who stand by it do not adhere to it. Science covers a very small part of human knowledge and it rejects what it cannot explain. Which is further confounded by effort to give a scientific shield to things that cannot be explained scientifically. These days it has become a political slogan.

Almost all the predictions in the 70s were wrong.
Mass starvation, global cooling, Japan will dominate the worlds, peak oil, running out all resources… ad nauseam. The futurists of today have a similar political agenda. Many have designs to destroy the American economy.

The current myth is that EV cars will take over in ten years. Right up there with 100% covid19 proof vaccine. How about tiny homes, millennials not buying
houses, China taking over number 1, running out of water… plenty of myths to be busted in the coming years.

1 Like

I do not believe in such analysts reporting (it is all after the fact) and does not help us any way.

BTW: This is Not a stock advice, neither financial advice.

Make it 5 days in a row :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Today’s close vs 52-week high.

S&P: 3224.73/3393.52 (5% off)

Nasdaq: 10503.19/10824.78 (3% off)

TSLA: 1500.84/1794.99 (16% off)

SHOP: 928.13/1074.98 (14% off)

@manch,

Are you suggesting we buy TSLA and SHOP now?

6 days in a row. What say you? Investors are rotating out of SAH/ WFH for the moment. When will they rotate back to SAH/ WFH or they are early indicators of a longer term decline, ask @Jil.

I don’t understand either of them. Not for me. I listed them because they seem to have the most diehard fans and on most people’s short list when they say we are in a bubble.

@manch hot girl, microsucks underperform a juicy fruit ytd or Covid-19 low,

Since we are cherry-picking timeline how about a 5 year chart?

Return is negative for fruit company.

TQQQ follow Nasdaq and UPRO follow S&P. Almost all Nasdaq stocks went up high and getting corrected (pull back) faster than UPRO like the way TSLA drop was higher than other stocks.

You are comparing peak pull back time of Nasdaq. If you have bought TQQQ on Mar 23rd (in an ideal world), you still run with 315% as of now compared to 270% of UPRO.

The concept is buy low and sell high for trading stocks. When we really buy at lowest point such as 03/23/2020 or 12/24/2018, better to buy TQQQ than UPRO.

What is SAH?

I do not follow any other sectors/stocks except S&P and Nasdaq. Both these indexes are highly reliable index and easily available resources.

No idea about sector rotation, which is after the fact news/media analysts statements. Above all, sector rotations may come and go time to time.

I used to analyze 580 stocks, but those are hard for me to follow, better to stay with the two index funds, enough for me to work on.

It is hard to beat S&P, Nasdaq in the long run. Keeping focus on 3x leverage is too good for trading stocks. Limited scope and highly reliable indexes are better for me.

How many times do I need to tell you about relevancy? How relevant is a 5 year chart? When did you buy MSFT? Ytd and from Covid-19 are common reference for comparison for current investors. Don’t be a monkey reads monkey repeats without context. Context, yes, I said it many times.

When quoting a principle, theory, formula, saying and similar, you need to consider:

Domain
Context
Constraints
Assumptions

SAH = Stay at Home stocks such as NFLX

1 Like

I didn’t know you only started owning AAPL since the March bottom. Good timing.

Relevancy. As I told you in previous posts, current articles reference either ytd or march bottom. What so significant is your selected time period? Want me to give you a face2face lesson on context.

UBS, which is known as the “fortress bank for billionaires,” said that these families, with an average net worth of $1.6 billion, are moving those profits out of the stock market and into illiquid and private assets — everything from residential real estate to private equity.

Opposite of @manch motto of selling RE and into stocks. By induction, @manch is not a billionaire :stuck_out_tongue: