Today Market

Can you explain what this line means?

Usually when stocks run up into earnings, is sell the news moment after earnings. Conversely when stocks decline into earnings, stock goes up after earnings. Not true all the time but quite often is true.

1 Like

So earning season is an inverter, falling stocks rise after earnings reports, and raising stocks fall after earning report. Is this a true statement?

Itā€™s more of a reality vs expectations. The good or bad hype before earnings is almost always too much. Thatā€™s why stocks go the opposite direction on the actual news.

How long should we ride the tiger?

1 Like

For short-term, I use the 10-day as a stop.

Market canā€™t be topping out without Amazonā€™s participation. Netflix hasnā€™t made new high either. I think we still have some way to go.

:joy:

Insist on your thesis? I have no idea whether this is a good logic. Anyhoo, weā€™ll see. I am not panic-selling, just trimming here and there.

Mixed. Nothing to buy, not low enough.

Dow Jones Slashes 140-Point Gain, Indexes Mixed, After China News Hits Stock Market

The Dow Jones Industrial Average ran up more than 140 points before sharply paring gains on reports that China tariffs will stay until after the 2020 election.

1 Like

Added some WFC

We have said this several times that the US has not much to gain from loosening tariffs on Chinese products.

So much faith in WFC? I have closed down my WFC accounts and move $ to JPM.

1 Like

Stock market news live: Stocks hold gains as US, China finally seal trade deal

Fading after few hrs.

Itā€™s not faith in Wells. Itā€™s more like Iā€™m waiting for a reversion to the mean. Wells is dragged down by scandal after scandal and is burdened with elevated legal expense. If they can get that behind them and just be average, along with some cost cuts, they will be much more profitable.

The financial crisis only made too big to fail banks even bigger. The increased regulation acts as barrier to entry for smaller and mid sized banks. The cost of technology from mobile apps to risk/compliance is only going higher.

With that said, the lower rates for longer is definitely a major headwind for all the banks but it is not new news. Every bank to need tighten costs and increase fee income.

Jpm is well run machine. Best of the big 4. I shouldā€™ve bought it long ago.

But what do I know, you guys are the pros here.

2 Likes

AFAIK, @caiguycaiguy is pro in fintech, @manch is pro in semis, @marcus335 is pro in e-commerce/retail/auto and @RealEstatebull is pro in ERP/CRM. I donā€™t even has a degree from US college.

JPMorgan Just Posted the Best Year for Any U.S. Bank in History

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-14/jpmorgan-s-trading-surge-helps-fuel-most-profitable-year-ever?srnd=premium

My ass hurts. No more margin, 5% cash. Is a deeper pull back coming? Need to load up margin again.

@manch Take note! In a sea of red, SHOP is green! So is BABA. Your beloved AMZN and FB are ah hemā€¦

Obviously you should sell everything thatā€™s red today and put that money into buying the green ones.

Rinse and repeat and you will be richer than Buffett. :rofl:

Not bad, understood what I have said in first part, will wait to buy!

He is older than me. Would expect his life experience to be richer.