Today Market

This is a blowoff, no amount of negative news would derail it :money_mouth_face:

Purpose of posting this news in Todays Market is? BTFD? Nowadays always work :slight_smile:

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 3.00.43 PM

New ATH closed :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do you guys feel about Boeing?

If i can get it in the low 200s , I’ll back the truck (gas truck) up.

737 max is the only plane causing trouble to Boeing. The revenue from other model, and even from other variants of 737 should be stable. So, I am not thinking Boeing will drop too much. The other thing I read about Boeing is that they do not have a good offering in 100-125 seater segment. This is one of the fastest growing segment in countries that are not too big (flying times a few hours max) , and that do not have too many airports with long runway (longer than 2km). Airbus (a220) is dong good in this segment with acquisition of that Canadian company, cannot recall the name.

Bombardier

More margin :scream:

Guess today is the start of the correction. AAPL hits $320-$330 and pull back hard. I see red, where are the greens? Jim Cramer speculates that worse is on Monday. Get ready your cash.

Gonna be hard For me with negative cash :joy:
Maybe my stocks will be called away. I need to get back out There and start driving uber again.

Doesn’t American Gigolo pay better? Tell your partner is lifestyle.

While the Fed keeps interest rates low, bankers in Europe and Japan have negative yields, and that is another factor pushing investors into the U.S. bond market—and also stocks.

Enjoy while it lasts :grinning:

“To me it goes back to central bank liquidity, and the market is flooded with a ton liquidity and that liquidity needs to flow somewhere.

Give some to me :sweat_smile:

As long as rates stay this low, Cuban said, “Where else are you going to put your money?”

“I think interest rates will tell us what’s going to happen next in the market. Is it frothy? You can definitely make that argument,” Cuban said. “Is it like 1999? No.”

Sleep well till interest rate changes direction? Wake me up when Fed decided to raise :scream: interest rate.

Cuban’s track record Current NW estimated at $4.1B. His NW jumped up to $1.9B when he sold his server with a lease line to a sucker, a VP of Yahoo! (no wonder Yahoo! went under). So from 1999 to 2019, his annualized return is 3.9%, less than historical annualized return of S&P index of 7-11%, is why Director/Producer of the TV series, Silicon Valley, made fun of Cuban in one of the episode. Btw he owned $1B of AMZN :scream: He should have followed WB in buying AAPL or FB when they are shot down by WS.

1 Like

Better lucky than good sometimes.

He (Cuban) did not do so bad. S&P 500 only returned 1.97% (adjusted for inflation )
between 1999 and 2019 .

BTW, where does the myth that S&P averages 7-11% come from?

What’s the myth? It looks like your calculator shows that if you don’t account for inflation.

When you are already rich why take risks?

1 Like

Real gain is the one that comes after subtracting inflation. Otherwise, we could ask FED to pump Trillions of dollars each year. Stock will double or triple every year, and so will inflation. Net result. you will carry money in FORD 150 truck to buy a loaf of bread.

This entire stock market has become a big fakery if you understand the uncontrolled money printing and its impact. The only thing most people achieve through the stock market is mitigating loss to some degree of purchasing power over time. Most people do not understand the stock market and do not have time to understand the investment. They unfortunately loose.

It is sad but there is very little you and I can do unless we find a way to shut down the fed.

But when people say the 7-11% no one says it’s adjusted for inflation.

Look @pandeyathotmail, you might be right in the long run about hyperinflation due to unlimited money printing.

But to outrun inflation, you’re still better off invested in the S&P 500. Sure you can argue the CPI is not an accurate gauge of actual inflation. But that’s beyond me. Go find some economist to discuss.

1 Like

General inflation is of not much relevancy to individual consumer :crazy_face: Is just a number for economist to assess and manage the economy. What is relevant are your expenses. Are your daily expenses as a percentage of your net worth getting smaller? Are your investment (and net worth) as a percentage of the future dream home (or expected expenses for your children education or a Tesla) increasing? Yes and Yes mean you are doing well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is the boldest statement yet on this forum. The other one was that the bay area housing prices have no relation to rents. Please give me a break!! I expect better on this forum.

As I explained earlier, excessive money printing is causing inflation and even worse, it is causing huge economic swings. And worst, people have begun seeing the stock market as a gauge of economic activity.

Inflation hurts savers badly because it reduces the purchasing power of their savings over time. And to protect their money, the savers are forced to invest in stock market that is even more risky. Either they spent a significant part of their day in managing investment, or they leave their savings at mercy of SP500 indexed fund that barely returns 2-3 percent after adjusting for inflation. And even then they may be forced to see their principal cut to 2/3 or half in downturn, and may not be able to recover the principle for many years.

Expense/NetWorth is not a good way to look for a small passive investor due to returns being small after inflation , and risk of loosing big on principle being huge. The net worth rises up and down with the market.

The myths living in this forum:

1. Inflation is good.
  2. Bay area home prices have no relation to rents
  3. Economy has to be managed (and hence inflation is desired ). Actually, governments need inflation so that they can run deficit and monetize the debts.

The third one also goes against the idea of free market capitalism.

Don’t repeat well documented statements/ observations/ arguments/ concepts by academics and news articles. Also no need to repeat content of past posts.

First thing first, why do you want to save $ or invest?

Is expenses/ savings sound like the economist’s term, purchasing power? Personal purchasing power?

Thought experiment: Say the food component of the general inflation index comprises beef, potatoes and carrots, and you eat only rice and pork. Now, pork prices had doubled but inflation is low 2%. Ok with the low inflation?

1 Like