Today's Market 1/31-2/6

This week’s earnings calendar:

3 Likes

S&P500 right under the 50-day.

1 Like

S&P 500 vs % of S&P 500 above 50-day. Divergence looks oversold?

1 Like

Another look at options activity. It’s not just retail investors.

Insiders are selling like never before…

:thinking:

3 Likes

Story of a legendary trader who got caught in a massive short squeeze.

2 Likes

Not much movement there…

What about Dogecoin? One of my pot smoking tenants says it is the latest wacko crazy investment

It’s the crypto currency of the average people. Bitcoin is for the rich. Having said that, DOGE is a s***coin but it might go to $1! I have some. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Here comes the dog and pony show which will result in nothing happening.

2 Likes

Seems to me crypto currency is a religious movement. Basically like global warming crap, EV, pot stocks. Driven by wacko millennials. Could easily go to $1. Never underestimate group stupidity

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with making $$$ from it. Many are just s***coins but some will stick around. I will be surprised if bitcoin is not at least half the market cap of gold in a few years.

What happens when start loosing big money on crypto like in 2017?

Gambling is illegal in most states. But now the Internet allows unregulated gambling through crypto. My guess is governments will regulate or ban it.

https://apple.news/A9eIuOYQ9QEajoEfhK_O_1w

I wonder if housing becomes the next GME. Definitely happening in Tahoe. Bidding wars everywhere like the BA 8 years ago.

Turns out we have all misjudged Robinhood. It limited trading because it was almost insolvent.

Robinhood, one of the largest online brokerages, has grappled with an extraordinarily high volume of trading this week as individual investors have piled into stocks like GameStop. That activity has put a strain on Robinhood, which has to pay customers who are owed money from trades while posting additional cash to its clearing facility to insulate its trading partners from potential losses.

On Thursday, Robinhood was forced to stop customers from buying a number of stocks, like GameStop, that were heavily traded this week. To continue operating, it drew on a line of credit from six banks amounting to between $500 million and $600 million to meet higher margin, or lending, requirements from its central clearing facility for stock trades, known as the Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation.

Robinhood still needed more cash quickly to ensure that it didn’t have to place further limits on customer trading, said two people briefed on the situation, who asked to remain anonymous because the negotiations were confidential.

It takes days to settle trades, and brokerages allow people to immediately use sale proceeds in another trade. In order to do that brokerages need to satisfy margin requirements at the clearing houses. It looks like clearing houses have hiked up the margin requirements on high velocity stocks like GME. Robinhood simply ran out of capital.

3 Likes

Is Robinhood the Bear Stearns of 2021?
Mayday

https://apple.news/AOYJBDbFuT6eQr-YI50qdew

Bear Stearns was the first cockroach among many. Later came Lehman, AIG and Fannie. I don’t think we have systemic risks like in 2007. The worst would be like the Russian default that brought down Long Term Capital in 1998.

1 Like

Perfect !

For investment success, investors should have realistic outlook, not bullish, neither bearish ! Great, you understand how it is going to be. This is planned one by market makers to get more returns/profits ! Guess work - can go wrong => Most likely ends by this Friday and Market (S&P) likely settle appx 3490.

When market goes deep down, scary stories will start coming one by one, but that is not going to be true.

Just learnt one saying “If you don’t read the newspaper, you’re uninformed. If you do, you’re misinformed.

1 Like