Trading wars impact

No reason HK people should be sad. Stock market at all time high. Real estate at all time high. If I were a HKer I would be laughing all the way to the bank every single day (not that I’m not doing so right now in America) :smile:

1 Like

UAW labor makes about $70/hr with full benefit and pension cost. Is that really a competitive threat to a China?

Yes, as the Chinese saying goes, even a worn out ship has three pounds of nails…

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
Then they get rusty and weigh a ton.

烂船也有三斤铁
Even worn-out ship has three catties of iron

1 catty = 1.32277 pound

1 Like

Sidebar: Does Singapore always use the simiplied characters? Or did Lee change it to cuddle up to China?

3 Likes

It’s not cuddling, it’s being “pragmatic”. Something that HKers should’ve taken note from Deng way back in the 80s.

Over my dead body. Simplied just looks like crap. :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

So glad you asked that question. I was confused because Yoda seemed to switch back and forth sometimes.

both simplified and traditional should co-exist. hker need to learn simplifed and mainland chinese should learn the traditional

Traditional characters could be phased out in HK in due time. But don’t worry, there’s always Taiwan… :rofl:

Sorry for our English speaking audience. A little bit inside baseball for the Chinese readers:

親(亲)不見,愛(爱)無心,
產(产)不生,廠(厂)空空,
麵(面)無麥,運(运)無車,
導(导)無道,兒(儿)無首,
飛(飞)單翼,湧(涌)無力;
有雲(云)無雨,開關(开关)無門,
鄉(乡)里無郎,聖(圣)不能聽也不能說;
買(买)成鈎刀下有人頭,輪(轮)成人下有匕首,
進(进)不是越來越佳而往井裏走。
只有魔,還是魔

3 Likes

Saw this on my FB feed:

1 Like

Call me crazy, but Xi likes to revive old fashioned Chinese culture. Nothing is more old fashioned, more Chinese than the traditional characters. Xi may revive the traditional set to make China Chinese again!

Xi just made himself emperor. He had a very strong start already.

Not sure I understand - is this sutra?

学习皇帝
Emperor Xi

1 Like

You’re no longer a Chinese :grin:

Just direct play on the characters. For example, the simplified for 親: 亲, the “見” part is removed. So “亲不見”.

只有魔,還是魔。

Giving you an opportunity to work harder on your daily Chinese lessons. You should be glad I can read and write in the first place :slight_smile:

1 Like