Trading wars impact

True but things have changed. The previous trade arrangement works because USA can keep printing the greenbacks to pay for their goods i.e. get goods and services with NO sweat. But something change… apparently can’t print greenbacks freely anymore… some1 rock solid in macro economics can enlighten us why now can’t.

Who says that? Under QE US printed a historic amount. The Fed is tightening now because the economy is doing well and doesn’t need any more stimulus. In fact it’s afraid it’s doing too well. So it’s gradually letting the past bond obligations pass without renewing.

US is the world leader and the utmost superpower. Maybe US enjoyed other political and business benefit by allowing all other trading partners be a little more protective. Parents always give more to the kids than receiving, but parents gain a lot from their DNA propagation.

Looking at tariff alone, it may seem that zero tariff on the whole world would be fair. But question is how we arrived at this unequal bilateral tariff.

1 Like

Focusing on trade is just very last century. That’s fitting for Trump fans who like coal out of all things.

USA is a service driven economy. It just doesn’t manufacture many things other countries like to buy. A large part of the imports are designed by American companies but manufactured in China, like iPhones. Who do you think make more out of an iphone: Apple or Foxconn?

How do you account for Starbucks’ 1000+ stores in China? Do we have 1000 stores from a Chinese chain? These numbers are not captured in trade numbers. How about all those Chinese students coming here and paying thru the nose for tuition, rent, food etc? Nope, not accounted for in the trade numbers either.

US is exporting services and importing manufacturing. We are doing the high value add stuff and leaving the sweat shop jobs to overseas.

1 Like

Could be true. However, why is the current tariff the perfect scheme and the perfect number?

Seems that nobody knows the answer. People are just fighting madly without knowing what is right and what is wrong.

Are people too scared of changes? Are most people believe whatever exists is the best we can have?

Nobody says it’s perfect. You are free to negotiate. BTW we had a big one done in TTP but Trump killed it.

Is pointing a gun to other people’s heads the best way to negotiate? Maybe so if you are mafia, which US is, sort of.

If you forget that you are against Trump, if you pretend that you never heard or read anything about Trump, what would be your response?

If you remove your anti-Trump mentality, how would you see?

1 Like

Maybe after you take off your MAGA hat? :smile:

I don’t wear any hat. Wait, I need a No Prop 10 hat :joy:

All the talk seems to be political attacking. Nobody really thinks about trade, they just want to use it as an excuse to attack political opponents.

Which makes me want to ignore all these talk as noise.

Today’s media is mostly politically driven attack. All the fact based logical reasoning has been exported to the Mars

1 Like

But… Trump support base are not those working in services :slight_smile:

he reminds me this man
it’s like if not the chinese consumer, you hk people are dead
we give you millions and millions of business everyday.
on the other hand, if not hk retail sell you real stuff, you’ll be eating/drinking/using fake and poisonous stuff. it’s mutual

starbucks - it’s mutual benefit, people in china want quality stuff, the people in china starting to enjoy life.
starbucks gains profit. china gains job opportunity, qualify non poisonous coffee

foreign students - if not all these foreign students, our own US student might be easier to get in class? I remember i have to wait for 2 semester to get into a class back then. They gain quality education, we gain $$.

Many colleges are in the Midwest. A lot of these small college towns depend on foreign students coming in. So yes, they benefit indirectly. But they are mostly too dumb to see it.

manch is a typical noise leader :slight_smile:

1 Like

Media is all about making noise. Manch is highly qualified to work in the media business :rofl:

If noise is what media makes, media has become a garbage can for noise

from your perspective, yes. The reason for letting in is to create future demand of American lifestyle :slight_smile:

All trade is by definition mutually beneficial. No one points a gun at you to force you to trade.

I buy stuff from Trader Joe but TJ never buys anything from me. Do I feel taken advantage of? No.

I see what’s wrong with Trump fans now. They see the world in black and white. Either you win or you lose. It can’t be that both parties win.

1 Like

Really? Equal tariff or non-equal tariff, trade is the same trade. Both parties are exchanging their labor and resources for their own selfish desires.

Intuitively equal tariff makes sense. Can you explain why unequal tariff is the best? Why the current number is the best?

If it’s not the best, tell us what’s the best way to negotiate. So far, negotiations are all trade talk, no military actions.

Are you suggesting it’s the best to keep tariff number as is forever?

Media has not suggested that yet. They just say Trump will hurt America when he negotiates, but talk is just talk before the reality shows up. We may never know because everyone will forget about this discussion, just like we all forgot about the predictions that Trump would lose elections 300% for sure.

To be honest, I have no idea whether these trade talks will benefit or hurt us. Problem is that media and pundits are also clueless, but they pretend to know everything about everything

maybe you’re the one only sees black and white.

you really got a lot of hate against trump and republican. you call republican nazi, and what have they done please that’s close to nazi?

trade is all about value. if one country don’t see value, they don’t buy, if you don’t see value from trader joe, you don’t buy.

And all these trade war is part of negotiation, in process
and you went all crazy went the EU tradewar, now what?

manch will banned me and marcus from this board soon, just like facebook and others start banning republicans

1 Like

The issue for most is a very small percent of highly paid Americans benefit a ton. The rest of the country is getting screwed and seeing their standard of living either flat or declining.

1 Like

Yes. That’s the root cause. I dont think waging a global trade war will solve the root problem.

Many people here are against unions. But one benefit of unions is that workers get good wages and benefits. I used to hate unions too. But recently I think we may need to sacrifice some efficiency of the economy to sort of “take care” of the less skilled workers.