Trading wars impact

From the above Micron link:

“Our gross margins will also be impacted in the near term by the announced 10 percent tariff on $200 billion of imports from China which will go into effect on September 24,” Zinsner said. “We are working to gradually mitigate most of the impact from these tariffs over the next three to four quarters.”

Since the first tariffs were announced and when all hell broke lose here (just short of that it will lead to recession in US)

Dow has gained 2000 points
Unemployment is at its lowest
Inflation is showing no noticeable impact

Lets wait and watch another quarter.

1 Like

Since a claim has been made, Has anyone on this thread said that “trade war won’t hurt the US”?Haven’t checked the entire thread, but I doubt anyone has said that.

So we all agree trade wars will hurt both US and China?

@Ironduke now said it will hurt both but US will suffer minimally while China will see fundamental damage to its economy. Did I paraphrase correctly?

1 Like

US will suffer minimally
China will suffer more. China may see fundamental impact.

1 Like

I agree China will suffer more, but I don’t think US will come off with “minimal” damage. But that of course depends on what we mean by “minimal”.

Fundamental impact is harder to discern in China as it’s still undergoing rapid reform. What I worry most about China is that it will back off from market reforms and embrace its worst Maoist instincts. There are some worrying signs pointing in that direction.

Also the Chinese no longer believe this trade war is about trade. Consensus is Trump wants to suppress China’s rise. That has vast geopolitical implications beyond 10% or 25% tariffs.

Impact on US economy (GDP, growth rate), financial market and jobs would be minimal. It may not impact any of them at all. We will see by end of the year after we are done with the elections.

What market reforms was China doing? Lets discuss them. Please dont quote success of US companies rip-offs as a sign. We all know how that success has taken place.

Another evidence is Trump plans to up defense budget - did he? I don’t follow politics much :sweat_smile:

vast geopolitical implication is another bogeyman.

Its time for China to stand up, fight and take its rightful place that everyone is claiming that they been denied for centuries. You don’t sneak into a superpower status and world domination.

But we all know what will happen. Propaganda is only talk…

You know China and Russia just had a joint military exercise in Siberia? Trump is like a reverse Nixon. Nixon got close to China to alienate Russia. Now trump is pushing them together.

China’s reforms come fast and furious. Almost every week there’s something new. The latest this week is letting banks’ wealth management products buy stocks and mutual funds on stock market. Previously only private banks catering to rich clients can do that.

What you call reforms are a set of basic reactive measures. Most of them will be taken to maintain an outer facade of “everything is great” while the duck peddles furiously beneath the surface. Are they fundamental reforms?

You can’t have fundamental reforms coming thick and fast. They are few, slow and long term by nature.

Why is China doing reforms now? Whats the hurry?

Military exercise with Russia. Isnt China’s logical next step is to take over Siberia and all the land and natural resources it has.

Chinese media is like this guy, anyone remember? Baghdad Ali :grin:

1 Like

I like small incremental reforms, much like Apple refining its iPhones little by little every year. Sure you can mock them but I like what I see.

Lol…

Our republican guards are whipping Marines ass right now.
Boom!! what was that?
Sorry, I got to leave:)

Do you read Chinese?

Good memory :grinning:

Waiting for you to make your point before I respond.

Just want to know what “Chinese media” you are referring to.

Painting with a super wide brush is not helpful in understanding the nuances. And China is full of contradicting nuances. Of all the American journalists I am aware of only James Fallows got it.

Also nobody reads the people’s daily for “news”. There are plenty more media outlets.

This book is very good. Helps me understand China more:

China’s Economy: What Everyone Needs to Know

2 Likes