Uber is doomed

Last I saw, they have 12,000 employees. I’m sure it’s much higher now, but I haven’t been paying attention.

Harriet is right about subsidies. They give new drivers bonuses. They have discount programs for riders, so they subsidize the fair by paying the driver the full amount. Their business model was the equivalent of charging $5 for a ride they pay the driver $7 to provide.

The same can be said about amazon’s shipping subsidy in its early days.

Uber is changing people’s habit and expectation about transportation. Already we are seeing some antidotes about people factoring in Uber in their housing decisions.

Uber will be fine.

2 Likes

:thinking:

Per Minute is on top of Per Mile?

Yup

@caiguycaiguy did you get the offer?

WSJ says both Uber and Lyft will reward some of their more active or long-time drivers with a cash award with an option to buy stock in the initial public offerings. Uber’s program will reportedly be worth hundreds of millions of dollar and based on a sliding scale that takes into account the driver’s time working for Uber, as well as the number of trips or deliveries made.

Lyft, on the other hand, reportedly plans to give drivers who have completed at least 20,000 rides $10,000 in a cash award or the equivalent amount of stock.

What a great use of IPO money:

No way. My driver account only has like 30-40 trips. It’s still active though. Maybe some of my friends might get it since they drove for years.

When’s the cutoff? Let me go nuts and get my trip count up. :joy:

I’m onto restaurant work now because I like to work hard and get paid peanuts. :sob:

1 Like

In my opinion, Lyft and Uber really should slow down the driver churn. I see it as a big problem. They guarantee paid and pay big (relatively speaking) bonus to new drivers and their referrers. However, drivers keep leaving because the pay is shit. Bump the pay to slightly above minimum wage after expenses and most drivers will continue to drive. The churn will go down. Drivers like the flexibility but the pay is garbage especially in slower / smaller cities.

Reward good drivers. What’s the point of a 4.98 out of 5 rating and 100s/1000s of rides if driver is paid the same as any new kid off the street?

/end rant

They already pay drvers more than they collect in fares from riders. That’s why they’ll collapse. If they price rides at break even, then demand would crash. Never mind pricing at a point that’d cover the thousands of HQ staff.

2 Likes

I see many African Americans as the corporate lawyers for top tech firms. What’s the reason for this dominance?

This reminds me of the joke about number of female CEOs in fortune 500 companies.

A: There are 25 female CEOs in fortune 500 companies.
B: Oh, OK. That’s not too bad.
A: Except that there are 23 CEOs named “John” in fortune 500 companies.

What is the ratio of African American lawyers to Caucasian American lawyers in top tech firms?

1 Like

Do you have any data? I just noticed this recently

What was the reason you said “dominance of African American corporate lawyers”, then?
How many African American corporate lawyers have you found recently?