Uber is doomed

heard of the four floors of sin in singapore?

The sex industry is regulated and managed in Singapore. :wink:
Take a look at the Geylang lorongs and Desker road

BA_lurker,

Irrelevant to to what I am referring to. Not referring to red light district. Do you know where they are in SV?

What percent of engineering grads are female or minority? You can’t make engineering 50% female until close to 50% of engineering grads are women. Also, retention in Silicon Valley is much lower than the rest of the country. 10-20% annual attrition is common in the valley. The same employer can have <3% attrition in other locations.

1 Like

Why don’t the SV companies make that argument publicly or what do they have to hide? People will understand if they have the data to support their argument.

They probably don’t want to admit how high attrition is. It looks bad to perspective employees.

I don’t get why they don’t show the distribution of applicants. It wouldn’t be difficult to show how many are male/female and each ethnicity based on whoever answers the questions when applying. They could include the % that decline as well.

I thought I heard something about it on the radio this afternoon. About 19% of women work in Facebook or something like that. I listened it on KGO radio.

:grin: :smiley:

1 Like
1 Like

People know this very well. Bezos has mentioned this, in fact, but there’s a lot of talent in SV, and it’s hard to move an entire team to Seattle, so they settle for talented with high turnover (for the companies they’ve aquired–like A9 and Lab126)

My point is, if the companies know this well & the employees in Bay Area know this well, it’s better to own up to it giving data supported logical reasoning rather than playing the perception game.

Yeah, but then Apple may not get over 1,000 applicants per open position. Then they wouldn’t be able to threaten unhappy employees that they could get over 1,000 applicants to replace you.

Is a dilemma here. I heard the good ones with the right experienced are hard to recruit and keep.
There are plenty of inexperienced and average ones around.

In this hyper-competitive market, it pays to compensate the good experienced ones handsomely and with golden cuffs.
IMHO, the inexperienced needs a lot help from the colleges, businesses and the government. Some1 has to help them to get experience or provide more internships or work with as many big corporate as possible, besiege them to be good corporate citizens. The average ones should leave the industry or go to somewhere where no need such a high level of skills. SV is for the elite, hate to say that.

1 Like

You use to work in Apple?

Yes. The whole mantra that t’s a honor to tell people you work at Apple got old. The attitude that promotions require working 60 hours a week while smiling about how lucky you are is insane, it just wasn’t special once Jobs wasn’t running it. Cook is brilliant in his own way, but he’s not the product visionary. I was approached about going back for the car project. Automotive combined with Apple would be pretty pretty awesome. I’m definitely glad I didn’t since they bailed on it.

3 Likes

Making a quick detour to Apple from Uber

Are most Managers in Apple a "D**k*?

I’m asking because, my wife recently went for a job interview(Engineering Program Manager), at Apple. The Hiring Manager was so rude, insensitive & brusque - I don’t think she would ever want to work there or at least for that manager. My wife is highly hands on technical person, makes enough money in her current job(where she has been working for a while) that she can buy a decent sized house in Ardenwood(Fremont area) only on her own salary. So that behavior from the manager, I don’t think she will forget easily.

Another example - a colleague of hers went to Apple and came back to his old company after 2 years because his manager in Apple used to ask him for updates twice a day. From what I hear that colleague is technically very good & very pleasant to work with.

Following is one of the most “helpful” reviews of Apple on glassdoor.com. Note the Cons part

Pros
We work with geniuses - in every department, We create innovative products that thrill our customers and create new product categories - who else can say that?
Cons
ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance. Execs have been saying for YEARS that they understand and will make it better. But in actuality, it gets worse every year! It is obviously top management LIP SERVICE because if they meant it, they could fix it tomorrow. They have hundreds of BILLIONS in the bank. If they REALLY cared about employee work/life balance, they could bring aboard the right number of folks to make that issue dissolve. Sick of hearing the lies. Just don’t lie about wanting to fix it, when they clearly DON’T care

2 Likes

I think the issue is lack of any standardization. I had a range from horrible to amazing. The worst threw me under the bus for a failed project that he was leading. I actually went to HR who said it was my “opinion” that I wasn’t on the project and wasn’t invited to any of the meetings. I told her no, it’s a verifiable fact. My boss sent the meeting invites, and you can verify I wasn’t on them. Then he blocked me from moving within the company by telling everyone he’d need 5 months to hire and train my replacement before I could join their team. I found out when a team I worked with tried to recruit me, and they told me what happened. I lucked out and got moved under a different manager when some other changes happened with our department. He ended up being fired after I left the company. I also had one of the best managers I’ve ever had, and I’m a better people manager today from having worked for her. Her people skills were amazing. Everyone loves working for her.

2 Likes

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/uber-isnt-sure-remain-viable-120000393.html

In its response to court on Friday, Uber said stopping its work on self-driving cars would threaten its future as a “a viable business.”

“To hinder Uber’s continued progress in its independent development of an in-house lidar that is fundamentally different than Waymo’s, when Uber has not used any of Waymo’s trade secrets, would impede Uber’s efforts to remain a viable business, stifle the talent and ingenuity that are the primary drivers of this emerging industry, and risk delaying the implementation of technology that could prevent car accidents,” Uber said (emphasis ours).

1 Like
1 Like