Uh Oh....The Layoffs Begin

Why is Apple increases pay?

May be companies are just laying off crypto guys.

Crypto could get dotcom level brutal. Thereā€™s over 19,000 currencies. Itā€™s doubled since the start of this year, and it doubled in 2021. The Netflix layoffs were a tiny number of people.

Robinhood strikes me as not having any plans. Why donā€™t they have IRA or Roth IRA accounts yet? Theyā€™ve been around 9 years and ignoring a huge portion of the market.

4 Likes

A 26-year-old on track to make $200,000 from 2 remote jobs secretly squeezed into 40 hours explains how he gets away with it ā€” and his 'only Great Resignation regretā€™

• A full-time account manager at a software company started a second job as a sales representative.

• He still works 40 hours per week but expects to make about $40,000 in additional income this year.

• The money goes toward his credit-card debt, his wifeā€™s college tuition, and his retirement savings.

2 Likes

Lazy work from home bs. Bet heā€™s making all sorts of excuses to cover it up. This crap is why managers want employees back in the office.

2 Likes

That shouldnā€™t be possible if the standards for performance were higher. If the standards are low enough, people will be unproductive whether itā€™s in the office or at home.

1 Like

Agreed, it shouldnā€™t, but dealing with employees that are not meeting the standards is a pain in the neck at most organizations so a lot effort goes into coaching them and putting an improvement plan in place before cutting the cord. Iā€™ve seen people pretend to struggle at organizations when in reality they are just being lazy (or working a second job!). With work from home it is a lot harder to tell whatā€™s really going on. If you take steps toward firing them, they threaten you with lawsuits for being discriminatory or creating a hostile work environment.

2 Likes

Even before pandemic my colleague did 2 jobs in parallel, one obviously on-site and another secret remote. He finished his work on time without a single issue. Also one canā€™t be lazy and do 2 jobs in parallel, it needs more effort than a single job.

Many executives have many jobs. How come rank and file canā€™t?
. As Company Directors of other companies
. As consultants of other companies
. Stock trading
. Running mom&pop businesses
. Landlording
. RE flipping
. Angel funding

According to whom? That is a low standard imo.

There are also often legal issues with working two 9ā€“5 jobs. If (s)he invents something using knowledge or resources from both companies (not on purpose but it is very hard to avoid), which one owns it? Major problem to have conflicting invention assignment agreements. Side gigs like RE or trading are another storyā€¦no need to hide that.

1 Like

agreed. Iā€™ve worked several jobs where I could fit an entire second job because my actual work took about 5 hrs a week. This has more to do with the mgmt and job at the job. I quit those jobs, but if I didnā€™t have any ethics, Iā€™d do a second job. In my case, I spent most of that ā€œslackā€ time looking for other jobs and manging my household affairs, and hating every minute of when I was in those jobs.

1 Like

According to his manager/ mgmnt. One was bank and other was marketing so thereā€™s no problem of info sharing. Thisā€™s for sw/ analytics job. Also pay was not according to market std so I donā€™t see a reason why he shouldnā€™t do a second job.

The ethical thing to do is go get another job that compensates him fairly and then resign, or fully disclose the second job.

I want my employees to do their best, not just the minimum it takes to squeak by. If everyone tries to squeak by with minimum effort the bar drops lower and lower, company becomes non-competitive and eventually falls apart.

1 Like

Most firemen have had second jobs forever. They usually work 3 days straight and have 4 days off. Teachers too. They work 180 days a year. Plenty of time for a second job especially in the summer. I had a school teacher client who built spec homes on the side. Of course eventually he retired from teaching

3 Likes