Vallco Town Center (SB35) Impact on Cupertino and Nearby RE

A picture is worth a thousand words. Definitely worthwhile buying rentals around there.
Sandhill is confident that Apple is likely to lease all his commercial buildings. Rumor is Apple leased all his buildings in Mainstreet (didn’t confirm but saw Mac Cafe).

1 Like

I noticed you circled Haidilao and Lee Garden… :thinking:

He should have also circled Fat Sheep.

1 Like

Vallco is so close to Apple it can be its dorm. Anyone contacted apple for school money? Steve Jobs would have told them to eff off but Cook is a much nicer guy.

I had seen new apt/home rentals are coming around $5500 level at those places.

Just look at the current homes (SFH, Condo, TH and Lands) available in the market

That’s why I want to know what is meant for rent for low income family. Apartment rents there are very x.

1 Like

I could see homes in the $5500 range, but I’d imagine apartments are more around 3-3500, which would probably put low-income rents closer to 1500-2000 maybe?

A family of 4 earning $85k can’t afford $1500-$2000 :cry: I know because I came here 15 years ago with a family of 4 earning more, renting a duplex for $1500. I have to wake up very early to make breakfast and lunch for my wife to cut living expenses, and drive a Ford focus to ferry my wife and my children. With current higher cost of living, perhaps looking at $1000/ month rent to survive.

2 Likes

Which highlights my point that households moving to the bay area making $70k/yr won’t last long in the bay area.

Lot of these workers commute from Tracy… and further away.

1 Like

Oh come on @hanera, a family of 4 earning 85k can afford to live out here @ $2000 rent. What’s wrong with a Ford Focus :stuck_out_tongue: Certainly, there will be sacrifices and living won’t be as easy as other parts of the country, but it’s not exactly in the realm of impossible. 85k -> 65k (take home) - 26k (housing + utilities) = ~40k for food and savings and other necessities. That’s definitely enough. You can do similar numbers on 70k as well assuming similar numbers - 55k take home -25k housing with 30k for food/etc.

Now I agree with @marcus335 - probably not a great lifestyle and there will be less and less, but if there is opportunity for future job growth etc maybe that’s what people hope for when living in those conditions.

3 Likes

Where are we getting such rent for 2BD, 2BH (four means min 2BD)? I have not heard such rents in bay area.

1 Like

We were speculating on what the low-income rents would be at Vallco, and hanera mentioned 85k with even 1500 rent was not low enough to survive here.

2 Likes

Yes, if Low income rent is $2000, we can survive in bay area with 75k or above paycheck at current standards.

The thumb rule is 33% rent (mortgage), 33% IRS+CA tax, 33% living expenses.

Can I ask a politically incorrect question? What kind of low-income people are we expecting to have move in there? I thought that Cupertino schools were notorious for Asian kids looking down on white kids as inferior. Is it likely that non-Asian minorities will be interested in having their kids thrown into that system? Or is it possible that these low-income apartments will end up taken by professors and highly educated teachers or non-profit leaders? Or just people starting a company who aren’t paid very well?

If so, it seems like overcrowding is more a concern than redistricting? Or am I missing something?

Is this true?

@Terri, i don’t think this is the case. I am seeing about 10% white kids at my kids schools and most of them are high achiever. However, i can sense that kids who have talents/interests in other areas than STEM (and as result not in advanced STEM lane) unnecessarily suffer regardless of ethnic background. I do hope such climate to improve.

2 Likes

Your family must be living the high life because my dad was earning less than $40K paying $1K rent/month at one point and we were fine back then.

2 Likes

How long ago was that? Times are a changin’ here.