Vallco Town Center (SB35) Impact on Cupertino and Nearby RE

Same time frame as Yoda, but he said he could barely survive on $1.5K rent per month and his family earned 3x more.

Though he also paid more taxes.

Healthcare can make a big diff too.

Oh yes don’t get me started on healthcare. We were never on Medi-Cal because my dad’s income was slightly above the threshold, so we paid a lot for that.

1 Like

While I get that current Cupertino RE is bullish (low supply, high rent, etc), aren’t you guys worried that in about 5 years, there’ll be 2402 units of additional supply (vs. the 20 or so now, 120X multiple)? This will surely impact the prices and rents…

The low income additions will also lessen the desirability of the schools (search “low income and school performance”). Most Tiger moms would likely not want to send their kids to these schools given a choice, or even live nearby. (I know it’s politically incorrect, but don’t know how else to put it, and I like being direct to the point.)

There are some association between low income and school performance, but it is hardly a causation. A study has to exclude a lot of other factors, and only compare students coming from same culture, same focus on education, with the same IQ and in the same school district. Otherwise, the study only provides some correlation, and the real reason could be something totally different.

Also, cupertino has much more students than these 2402 units will bring. CUSD plus FHUSD have roughly 30,000 students. If you add another 2000 students in, it isn’t going to make a splash.

2 Likes

Those Ford Focus were pretty bad@ss back then especially if you put 15" spinners.

1 Like

Given its proximity to all the tech jobs, and it’s mostly condo I assume, many if not most of the units will be taken up by DINK’s. Maybe at some point these folks will make some babies, but I don’t see a flood of kids crowding schools from the get go.

Besides, we are easily talking about something not finished for another 10 years? Cupertino price is shutting out most young families. Kids will continue to dwindle in the meantime.

Speaking of Vallco, does any know why for so long such a prime piece of real estate has been sitting with half the stores shuttered? It could have easily been like Valley Fair given the location.

2 Likes

Meanwhile I was suffering on snail speed Muni back then…geez what a miserable life :cry:

1 Like

Multiple owners until SandHill manages to convince all owners to sell to him. As the sole owner, he thought he can move fast… now residents give him a hard time.

We should not assume that they would go to Cupertino schools. I attended a meeting by these developers at the townhall couple of years ago. The developer was asked to pay for adding square footage to all schools. Consequently the new apartments on Wolfe road next to the Apple Park go to Santa Clara schools. The school district boundary is really jagged and crooked. :smile:

4 Likes

Says a guy who drives a Tesla Model S And Audi Q5 :thinking:

2 Likes

Never worry about oversupply in the BA. Never has happened ever.

3 Likes

There’s no room for discrimination. Burn your realtor if he/she said that.

Jesus!

What do people have against other people who are starting their careers, or married/single life, like they did one time in their lives?

By the way, Apple has the mother of all workplace half a mile away. And more buildings on the other street down the road. Plenty of jobs available, right?

What I’ve read on this topic resembles the same attitude of those disregarding EPA at one time in their lives as investors.

Cupertino? Are you kidding me? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Unbelievable! :zipper_mouth_face::triumph:

Nah, just an excuse for not able to afford Cupertino.
Or afraid of the monster in the cupboard.

I[quote=“zensri, post:71, topic:4630”]
Consequently the new apartments on Wolfe road next to the Apple Park go to Santa Clara schools.
[/quote]

Which complex is it?
Didn’t they have to pay same amount to SC anyway?
Anyway, Vallco is literally within city of Cupertino. I don’t think they can belong to other school district.

All in all, many people seem to think impact on schools would be negligible. I hope so.

Regarding 50% BMR, i don’t think that itself is a problem. I hope people other than techies to get fair portion of new housing in this area.
As for school performance, i personally have high confidence in CUSD tiger teachers and its intimidating(?!) culture toward academic performance. They will either keep up with other kids or leave.

1 Like

But the tech jobs won’t qualify for low-income housing.

So 1200 low-income families with 2400 kids. It’s an interesting question… But I still have to wonder how many people would move into Cupertino’s schools knowing they are going to be in with some very competitive students unless they cared about the education too.

Is it universally known that kids will be put through the wringer in Cupertino? Or wouldnsome parents think they’d get a good education without any sacrifice?

We can’t assume everyone is well informed.

The Hamptons Apartment Homes
19500 Pruneridge Ave, Cupertino, CA 95014

The complex is in Cupertino but they don’t belong to any of the FUHSD schools.

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

1 Like