We Are in Bear Market

uber pool is a hit. people trade their time & money all the time (see: people who live more than 20m away from their work place.)

1 Like

Yeah. A friend used to live in my block. Sold the house for $650K a year ago. Buys a $500K home in Modesto or Lathrop, comes to live 5 days in San Jose, travels on Friday to his home. :scream:

The yo-yo theory. Down it goes 5% you got to make more in the rebound to replace the loss.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/dow-closes-400-points-higher-as-tech-leads-market-rebound/ar-BBOSt1s?ocid=spartanntp

Shared rides are <20% of total rides. Now you’re back to selling ads as the revenue model to subsidize the actual ride which loses money. That doesn’t even begin to address the cost of owning the fleet of cars and how to handle utilization.

1 Like

Henceforth we can ignore Jil’s stock comments :scream:

1 Like

no. yt tv is a paid product :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alphabet also breaks out the revenues and losses for its longer-term “Other Bets,” like healthcare company Verily, internet service provider Fiber, and self-driving car company Waymo. Other Bets posted Q2 revenue of $146 million, up from $117 million the same quarter last year. Operating losses also grew, with the company posting losses of $727 million up from losses of $650 million the year before.

For every dollar Google brings in, it loses $5. :smile:

1 Like

So both Amazon and Google beat on bottom line but miss on top line. How much of this is just they got help from tax cut, therefore higher earning, but business is in fact decelerating, so lower than expected revenue?

2 Likes

Economy is slowing…

2 Likes

I need to research this, but I was thinking of buying a non google(nest), non cloud based wireless camera for home security(store on external drive).

Good/Bad idea?

1 Like

Tomorrow is going to be another bad day, a fundamentally bad day with no one to blame

Good idea. Was thinking of the same thing.

1 Like

I have Arlo and Yi. Both are pretty decent and somewhat easy to use. Both are pretty buggy. With the Arlo I have seen it will stop uploading to the cloud at random and once it stops uploading, it won’t until you reset the camera. With the Yi, it’s more infrastructure related. Some of the Flash cards I put in stopped working after software upgrades.

OTOH, no subscription fee by default with both (unless you want more/greater cloud storage).

3 Likes

How does that camera help with home security?

Just a deterence :slight_smile:

Oh and to answer your question more completely. Arlo only supports cloud upload. Yi allows local storage if you can set up a home server. You can choose to redirect locally.

1 Like