What will it take to reduce Bay Area housing costs?

I think it’s more than likely to be more similar to LA if it gets to that size. It’s in its DNA. Hopefully it will be able to make use of its unique strengths and build them into improving on the state’s largest urban area.

That is what locals fear. Hong Hong or N.Y.C. is their worst nightmare. The idea of a 50% increase in housing in 20 years is laughable… Will never happen.

Antioch and Pleasanton do not have comparable real estate - lowest price home in Plesanton right now for SFH is 900k…whereas Antioch is 300k - how is that affordable for most people?

I don’t see any new lanes added on the major thoroughfares. That should be the easiest to accomplish.

CA gas tax is up, car registration is up, Income taxes are highest in the nation, yet it takes 2 years(still ongoing) to just transform an existing lane on 880 to fasttrack(just changing the median and adding fasttrack box reading devices). This is a tax on people who are living further away from job centers.

1 Like

No way we can build out of this problem…Nobody can afford to build below market housing…Look at the cost of a building in Half Moon Bay…an affordable city on the Peninsula…$750k per apartment…
Better off building a fast train to Sacramento

2 Likes

Who are these people living in HMB? Don’t they have jobs to go to?

They can commute to SF or San Mateo

this does look nice though :slight_smile:

$300k is pretty affordable even by national pricing standards. Median home price is $250k right now, so that’s a 20% premium over national numbers. That’s not much considering the wage difference.

1 Like

Nobody wants to live in Antioch…that is why it is cheap… BA construction hard and soft costs $300/SF plus land…2000sf costs $600k…land starts at $200k in the worst BA neighborhoods…Better neighborhood the costs are more than $2m
Apartments now cost to build $500k min for a one bedroom…$3k rent…affordable not!!!

1 Like

Cry me a river. Of course housing is not affordable if everyone wants to own a SFH in PA or SF. I am not even looking for condos and I am seeing tons of 2 br sold in the 600s-700s in SSF/Daly City/San Bruno etc or the closer East Bay (think Emeryville and Alameda). I don’t particularly like PA just because it’s expensive but If everybody can afford PA then it will lose its charm as a trophy neighborhood.

2 Likes

Agreed. Even if we magically build 50% more over the next 20 years the majority of the new crop will be condos and multi-families, so SFH prices still will not return to affordable levels. If the goal is to bring SFH price back to earth then there is no solution no matter how you build. Otherwise if we can stretch the goal to making condo prices comparable to SFH prices in other parts of the country then the current situation might be exaggerated.

1 Like

People need to live where they can afford. I think most of us would pick Palo Alto if all prices were equal. That’s why prices aren’t equal and none of us own there.

1 Like

People are skipping over shit holes like Antioch and going further like to Brentwood

2 Likes

How rude! :rofl:

That’s how trump won.

Ask our one former Antioch resident what he thinks…

ELT just gave everyone a strategy for backing up the truck. Anything under replacement cost.

1 Like

Don’t be a smarty. Bayview is also considered “shit hole” in his eyes… :rofl:

That is Sam zells strategy
That is what I always do…Being doing it in Tahoe now looking at Placerville…
I made my biggest profit in South Sac…still a shit hole 20 years later…My Sac apartments are worth $75k per unit.
Replacement costs would be at least $300k/unit

2 Likes