Where Do You Stand On The Subject Of H-1B Visas?

Thats good for you!

1 Like

Is this the longest thread yet? Can we talk real estate? Looks like market is back to normal after a slight cool off period. 2 all cash offers in milpitas on the homes I was watching !!!

2 Likes

OK. I get your point.

Just one last thing to point out.

New data reveals that 86% of the total H1B visas issued in 2014 for technology firms was used to hire IT professionals from India.

My only problem here is you believe non-Indian H1Bs are the ones who have taken your opportunities and put you in 12-years of waiting line. However, as data shows, 86% of H1Bs are Indians. Thus, you are actually competing with your own people. I am not sure how much of your waiting time is going to be shortened by removing country quota frankly. If your goal is to see other nationals to go through 12 years of waiting time as well, then yes removing country quota will help you. However, I don’t understand why you care so much about what others get when it doesn’t affect your life much in the end.

3 Likes

@Jane India and China are most populous countries, so if interest from India is high, so what. Its their own people so what. That’s what American companies want or the skills or cheaper than usa worker is driving this.

The ask is don’t be dumb as trump ( i meant uscis and us law) make the per country ratio proportional to population of the country.

It’s the old and outdated laws causing this backlog.

The ask is for a level playing field. This is very simple unless u want Indians to suffer the long wait time for the green cards…and somehow enjoy it. Let’s end this topic.

Finally like the Khan and gold star family issue with trump going around, unless you live the life of h1b from these backlogged countries one cannot relate the emotional toll the families go through and the SACRIFICES made :slight_smile:

Let me be honest with myself as well, I haven’t made any big SACRIFICES but I know many. :wink:

2 Likes

Hey, @hanera, stay on topic or I will report you to our fearless leader…

Oh by the way, Martin Yan did think she was pretty at a book signing my wife went to years ago…

Carry on…

The reason so many Mexicans just jump the border after they are petitioned by a relative is that their numbers, same as Indians, make them the target of the quota system. 15 years for a green card is too long.
RealEstateBull said something very real. Unless you have lived the lives of us, the ones legalized through any process, you won’t be able to feel the relief when we are free of any immigration process.
I told what Mike Honda said, something like that, “I can’t feel what you feel because I was born here”. That summarizes everything you need to know.
Immigration reform is needed. The problem is that conservatives (those ignorant of the immigration process) take an ugly approach to it because they think this is about illegal immigration only. Very wrong they are, very wrong.

1 Like

You think the above is ok to say to anyone?

Let’s not make this discussion personal.

My grandfather was trying to be a US citizen. He went to the immigration office in the 1930s. He told them “I don’t know how to read or write English” He gave them a cigar. Petition approved. My grandmother had a son that died in WWII. She went to immigration later and told them about it. Just like that they approved her petition. Times have changed.

1 Like

Its not the non-Indian H1B or the Indian H1B that the backlogged folks blame. Its the collusion between the corporates, immigration attorneys and immigration authorities that are constantly back-stabbing and refuse or at times block any meaningful solution to this problem.
Take for instance, this regulation https://www.regulations.gov/docketBrowser?rpp=25&po=0&dct=PS&D=USCIS-2015-0008&refD=USCIS-2015-0008-0001
that is supposed to bring relief to high skilled workers waiting in queue. The original rule was broader, but it has been diluted with a “compelling circumstances” clause which makes the rule applicable only to a few affected cases. And if you read the convoluted rules in there, its easy to see that corporates and immigration lawyers are going to benefit more. Corporates with retention and attorneys in the form of filing fees. What is the use of publishing such a rule?
It was initiated 12/31/15 and public comments was closed 02/29/16, till today the final rule has not been published. Usually, the final rule is published couple of weeks after public commenting. Read the comments, you will get an idea of what people are going through.
The existing immigration laws are archaic and were drafted long back, they need to be reformed.
Illegal immigrants, while no one can deny their hardships, have a collective voice in the form of organizations that represent them, but legal immigrants waiting in backlog do not have proper representation which leads to misinformation to the public.

@Roy321 Thanks for policing me.

this is what Jane said, im just responding you know

I am not sure how much of your waiting time is going to be shortened by removing country quota frankly. If your goal is to see other nationals to go through 12 years of waiting time as well, then yes removing country quota will help you. strong text

where exactly is the problem?

thsi is, why would that goal be mine, infact it will be much quicker for everyone.

I have in my possession one of those applications to become a citizen of the US. There wasn’t green cards at that time but straight citizenship.
Times have changed, right. Back in the 70s and even before 1996 you could marry an American, get a green card, and kick her/him out and keep with your life of solitude to 3 years later get the citizenship. Today? They will interrogate both guys, even intimate questions are asked just to know if they know each other.

I know the case of this dumb guy. He was paid handsomely to petition this girl, he married her and the process went on. One day, they receive a letter to show for an interview. Both guys didn’t know, they never trained for the battery of questions so they went to the interview empty handed.
They asked the guy: Sir, how many nights a week you visit your wife at her rental apartment? The dumb guy fell in the trap…“huh? Oh, just when she calls me on Fridays to have dinner together, that’s because I live far away from her”…:laughing:

Immigration is a touchy subject. In many ways the 2016 election is mostly about immigration.

Obviously people have strong feelings and strong opinions. Just remember to be courteous to people and avoid getting personal.

Dialog is healthy. Yelling and calling names are not.

3 Likes

My comment was about sanfax’s comment above.
However, it seems that I misunderstood his point.
If you felt offended by my comment, my apology.
Yes, I haven’t gone through 12 years of waiting. Thus, I probably don’t understand your pain well.

2 Likes

No offense, but I used to go to the marches undocumented l immigrants used to participate here in San Jose. As I said before, those ignoring the perils, the stress, the hardship “we” go through to be heard or understood, won’t understand that among the petitioners for a clear and straight immigration reform there are some lazy, ungrateful, maybe cocky immigrants. Why? Because they may/don’t want to be seen walking along undocumented and other legal but helpful people marching down the streets making their pleas heard so they can be legalized. I rarely saw an Asian, European, or any other race or nationality than Hispanics represented among the crowd of marchers. Why? Because “amnesty” was the common topic, a misunderstood topic where those ignoring that the marches were for a comprehensive immigration reform thought it was only for that purpose.

Don’t get me wrong on this statement. Same as what I call “my people”, I used to see that lack of empathy on them, the lack of sacrificing one day of their lives so their voices were heard. Nope! They rather kept working, throwing a barbecue, drinking beers, having a good time while the rest are risking their butts seeking a better future for all.

The irritating part is that these people are the ones that cry the most. Rather than seeking to form a block, an organization fighting for them, they just talk and talk and talk, but no walk. And they are the first in line at the immigration department when things come their way without any sacrifice. I have seen that, I have lived with my own skin.

Now you may understand why the topic of immigration (reform) is so tragic, so inhumane, out of touch with reality and the modern times. If everybody participated, taking one day to protest, you may see some results. But for now, nothing will happen, not with the worst congress of all times doing nothing.

2 Likes

3 months ago I was upset. Somebody had moved my recycling bin so a guy not living here but leaving his car for a week (called the traffic enforcement hotline every time) parked in front of my house. Not knowing who did it, I asked my neighbor across the street. I knew he was short on the English stock, so I asked him slowly and nicely if he had seen anybody moving my bin. He went “huh?”. I mimicked, I asked him several times and he never understood me nor what I was trying to convey. He never understood nor he spoke any English at all.
This morning, he passed the citizenship test. :wink:
Good for him. :wink:

I would rather be H1Bs than stay-in maids from Philippines, Indonesia and Sri Lanka working in SEA.

Slow real estate news day, eh, @hanera…:wink:

Here, sorry, a political rant but related to what we are talking about on this topic:

Q: How did Melania Trump get a green card?

A: We don’t know. The Trump campaign would not answer this question.

A green card allows a foreigner to permanently reside in the United States. It is the golden ticket of the U.S. immigration system and highly sought after by millions of immigrants.

There are several avenues Melania Trump could have pursued to get a green card. She could have won a lottery for people who immigrate from countries that don’t have high immigration rates to the United States.

She could have sought a green card as a person of extraordinary ability, though experts cast doubt that she had been sufficiently successful in her modeling career to qualify in this category.

She could have been sponsored for a green card by an employer who made a case that there were no Americans available to fill a particular job. That process is not easy; it requires the employer to show that they have attempted to fill the job, by advertising it publicly. <------------------HERE, I SAID THAT BEFORE…:wink:

Michael Wildes, an immigration lawyer who has done work for the Miss Universe pageant and the Trump Organization, said his firm will typically not help models pursue this kind of green card, as it is too difficult to show that a modeling job could not be filled by an American. He said, however, that models can sometimes qualify for a green card on these grounds by seeking employment in a different field for which they are also qualified, like graphic design. Wildes said he did not have permission from the Trump Organization to comment on any specific case, including Melania Trump’s.