Where Do You Stand On The Subject Of H-1B Visas?

If the illegal immigration is reduced, we can cancel H1B program and issue green card to the best and brightest directly for people who will work productively. That’s the true solution for American prosperity and also avoids the abuse of h1b worker, avoid lower pay for America worker.

What’s illegal immigration for/to you?

One thing I’d like to ask to any immigrant, I know this, I went through it; it’s to learn the foundation of the word that is thrown around by conservatives and liberals, “constitution”. Learn the principles of our democracy or republic, then try to understand anything else.

You can’t just say “give green cards to x or y person because…”. Green cards are issued with a quota dictated by congress. And that quota affects some countries and favor others. And with the present administration hating most incoming immigrants, there’s no way on earth that quota can be increased.

Now, if you think that the illegal immigration is full of stupid people, or ignorant people, let me tell you something: This country is a melting pot, each one of us makes a difference, we make a contribution to the greatness of this America, be this effort in the central valley picking up produce or fruits, or programming something on a computer. Look at yourself in the mirror. You may see one of them there, either a smart or a dumb immigrant. You think that being a high tech guy qualifies you to be smart?
For what I understand, smart for some people means high earnings, and for others, being a rich entrepreneur, or a business owner that won’t depend on asking his boss to give him a green card in lieu of his intelligence. I know former and now illegal immigrants making $500K-$1M a year. Do they deserve a green card too? I know some real estate investors dumb as a rock but millionaires. One in particular in my hood owns 20 properties but can’t say good morning in English. It’s like talking to a dumb person, really!

Or, do a Google search and find out about this illegal immigrant that came from Guatemala, found a way to become a green card holder, and instead of participating in a forum mumbling jumbling stupidity, he decided to join the military, only to be one of the first casualties in yet another stupid war initiated by the loving war republicans, but coward themselves to join the army.

You are just like that dumb ex-judge in Foxnews saying no American should enter the US. Gee! Who else is going to come to this country then? Martians?

And, did you read what you put up there? If you cancel the H1B visa program, how will those “best and brightest” people will be identified in India or anywhere else? By raising their hands? Or working for Apple or Facebook in the Silicon Valley, for which they must have had an H1B visa…Oh boy!

Well, I dont want to start a topic where taste buds are so different every 200 miles or so. 50 states in India have their own uniqueness, and I wouldnt do justice to all of 'em. Lets say Indian food varies quite a bit, and I dont trust any yelp review by an ABCD (American-born confused desi - Wikipedia), I carefully look for reviews by first gen indians

1 Like

This may upset some of you folks but this offers a counter view…

1 Like

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2017/04/05/silicon-valley-has-very-little-to-complain-about-on-h1-b-immigrant-visas/#154034783ac1

The potential caveat is for the job title they have. There have been firms that fire US workers then bring in foreign workers at much lower job titles to do the same work.

The previous guy is overpaid for the job?

I think if the person was overpaid, then they’d just hire a US worker at a lower job level. Odds are they can’t find the skills at the lower level/pay with US workers. For the foreign worker, the lower pay is still a lot more than they’d make in their own country.

1 Like

Finally something we agree on. I’ve told that many times, nobody paying attention? I used to meet Engineers in this area emptying their cubicles or their offices to be replaced by young, and excuse my French, but cocky high tech Engineers with an attitude worth the slapping on their face. (to make honor to the sitting president)

I was told by one high techie that he was happy to work in the US. Compared to $500 a month over there…he said…I don’t know how much he Is getting over here…but that will put you to think what’s going on.

Blame the corporate greed… who issued the H1B invite letter to this “high techie” in the first place to come here? Some big US company, else he won’t even get the H1B visa.
Don’t blame the folks who come here, their aim is not to replace American workers. You will be surprised by the lack of workplace rights they experience. Exploited and treated like indentured servants. These are well educated, tax paying, law abiding people, not some illegal border jumpers.
Are we ready to pay higher to an american to mow our lawns? Even the corporates think in the same way.
Btw, 85k H1Bs granted in a year is nothing compared to the hundreds of thousands of high tech jobs created each year.

[quote=“sfdragonboy, post:174, topic:599”]
The Secret Way Silicon Valley Uses the H-1B Program
[/quote]> According to the analysis, Apple Inc. barely relies on contractors who employ workers through H-1B program to staff its headquarters, and Amazon.com Inc. doesn’t appear to use them at all.

Oracle is an H1B sweat shop

That just proves my point that a lot of legacy tech companies don’t need to be in silicon valley anymore. They aren’t cutting edge now. They should move to where cost of living is lower, they aren’t competing against cutting edge companies and compensation, and their retention would be much higher.

Cisco should move to Austin :grin:
Microsoft should co-locate their PC related stuffs with Dell in Round Rock, Austin :joy:
Apple, Oracle and IBM already move a bulk of non-cutting edge to Austin, zip code 78727 and 78758. 78759 is next to them.

1 Like

Whats the fascination with Austin?..No matter what happens its stil in Texas…Can make mkre money right herein California

Only @hanera here is fascinated with Austin because he owns investment properties there.