Will Facebook Rock Our World Today?

Looks like Zuck pushed them out.

Dictators always seek to consolidate power.

Once again Zuck shows he’s thinking and acting like a business owner. Need to make money damn it! Love the guy.

I saw all the wrong takes on IG today, mostly along the line of “Zuck is evil, I am deleting the app!!!” primal screams. They are all wrong. This is the only decent take I’ve seen so far:

https://stratechery.com/2018/instagrams-ceo/

Having a brilliant product is necessary but not sufficient. You need to build a business around it. That’s why I have been so pissed at the WhatsApp founders. They were willing to spend shareholders money in their Utopian pursuit. Hey, how about spending some of your own money?

Observing Zuck all these years from the sideline makes me a bigger and bigger fan of his. The guy is focused on the business part of Facebook just as much as on the product and experience. There’s no shame in making money. In fact, it’s essential if you want your product to be long term self sustainable. So what if Facebook wants tighter integration between IG and FB apps? What’s wrong with that?

I think we are at peak BS and peak negative narrative on FB. Stocks cratered 2% pre-open last night but over the course of the day recovered to -0.3%. With first WA and now IG founders exiting I see more monetization opportunities not less.

1 Like

FB didn’t revisit 2018 low.

Zuckerberg/Sandberg are the Jobs/Cook of social media. They’ll upset some people along the way, but they will out execute everyone in the space. There will be some occasional mistakes, but they’ll recover.

1 Like

It will not. Bottom is in.

Can you tell me what is the expected future value for FB on the red rounded areas? The FB future price depends on these two key factors. Mark Z said these two factors are getting reduced, but did not give any hint how much.

FB_future

Peak BS happens at higher price than 2018 low?

Peak BS in the press.

What does the chart tell you?

It’s also a story any idealistic entrepreneur can identify with: What happens when you build something incredible and then sell it to someone with far different plans for your baby? “At the end of the day, I sold my company,” Acton says. “I sold my users’ privacy to a larger benefit. I made a choice and a compromise. And I live with that every day.”

May I propose that Brian Acton donates all his money to charity immediately to clear his conscience.

3 Likes

WhatsApp founders are bunch of hypocrite shitheads.

They never bothered to build a viable business model around WhatsApp. At first they charged people $1 a year but later walked back most of it. Yeah, privacy all the way but who pays the bills? If they stayed independent they will get steamrolled by Facebook and they will get none of that 19B.

1 Like

Facebook fights back!

David Marcus: The other side of the story

Excerpt:

Third — on the business model. I was present in a lot of these meetings. Again, Mark protected WhatsApp for a very long period of time. And you have to put this in the context of a large organization with businesses knocking on our door to have the ability to engage and communicate with their customers on WhatsApp the same way they were doing it on Messenger. During this time, it became pretty clear that while advocating for business messaging, and being given the opportunity to build and deliver on that promise, Brian actively slow-played the execution, and never truly went for it. In my view, if you’re passionate about a certain path — in this case, letting businesses message people and charging for it — and if you have internal questions about it, then work hard to prove that your approach has legs and demonstrate the value. Don’t be passive-aggressive about it. And by the way the paid messaging that WhatsApp is rolling out now sounds pretty similar to metered messaging from my point of view…

Told you the guy is a shithead! And Marcus agrees:

Lastly — call me old fashioned. But I find attacking the people and company that made you a billionaire, and went to an unprecedented extent to shield and accommodate you for years, low-class. It’s actually a whole new standard of low-class.

1 Like

Meh. Business is business. Fb didnt make them billionaires for charity.

1 Like

Sure. So Brian and Jan should stop playing victims and badmouth the people who made them billionaires. Deal?

From reading that article looks like they were assholes to begin with.

Sell FB since Mark is a bad judge of character :exploding_head: Might have many crooks in FB :crazy_face: who may turn FB into Enron :sob: