You want affordable housing you say?

“U.S. Homeownership, once one of the surest ways for a family to accumulate wealth, has declined across the country; rates dropped to 63.4% in 2016, their lowest since 1967.”

So fannie and freddie have accomplished zero towards they goal if increasing home ownership, since that’s why they started directly buying mortgages in the 70’s. Meanwhile, home prices have sky rocketed since then. How has the government helped?

If you want housing to be more affordable, then either get rid of mortgages or go back to 15-year mortgages. If you want proof, look at how much condo/townhome prices drop when the HOA is in litigation, and buyers can’t get a mortgage. It’s an instant 40% discount on price.

“Big banks and mortgage companies attach stringent criteria and high interest rates to loans that often lock lower-income people out of buying a home.”

That statement shows the authors ignorance of the mortgage market. Fannie/freddie set the standards not the banks. They set the standards for a reason. When we ignore them, then 2008 happens. People with bad credit shouldn’t get a mortgage.

All their ideas are really just income redistribution with different names. Why don’t they focus on training people for the 6M open jobs in America?

No, I don’t want housing to be more affordable. At least not in the Bay Area. I want it to remain sky high and out of reach. And keep going higher.

2 Likes

how if it becomes more affordable by government-mandated income increases? $25 minimum wage anyone?

That’s fine rising tide lifts all boats :slight_smile:

But if you hold onto all of the toys, people may go to another party (Bay Area exodus). It is a fine line. Don’t kill the Golden Goose!!!

Not true. I haven’t seen Hong Kong prices dipping though it’s been the pricest Chinese city for ages. And besides, there’s always Manhattan.

Obviously I am alluding to SV and how everyone and their mother is moving to say Seattle or Austin. Sure, we are the Big Boys (for now) here but you never know. Always good to keep tabs on the competition…

Um, I think the Manhattan people should be warned first. We’re not even no. 1 in our own country.

Hmm, housing for people is more important than housing for cars… ya think???

http://www.sfexaminer.com/homes-people-important-homes-cars/

Prop 10 will end that and everything else. Basically game over for builders, landlords, homeless, homeowners and eventually tenants. Prop 10 will create a civil war in California.

Of course. If Prop 10 passes, nobody will even build a market rate rental apartment, who wants to build a mixed income apartment with tons of restrictions?

I think homeless issue maybe 100 times worse 10 years after Prop 10 passes.

I thought this was funny.

1 Like

Here’s a thought, Ms. Kamala “Anti Capital Punishment” Harris, how about incentivizing builders and owners alike to increase the supply of rental units?

The entire agenda is about making successful people suffer. The funny thing is the stuff they do doesn’t even help the poor long-term. Most of it just keeps them in poverty dependent on the government. They get all excited about the idea of the rich suffering though.

I regret over my vote for this stupid senator. There was no alternative. Good people stay away from politics and bad people have a political monopoly.

No on Prop 10. Is Willie Brown against Prop 10? Brown should call Harris and teach her a lesson.

She pissed me off when she wouldn’t go for capital punishment after the cop killing. I was livid!!!

1 Like

Harris is a liberal version of Nixon. Sacrificed public safety to further a selfish career. She wants to be president and has a better chance that Newsom.

Harris is half Indian and half black. I thought she could be a little more moderate, but I was totally wrong. She will destroy Democratic Party.