AAPL and Apple

Issues with rumor: Apple partners with Google.

Latest rumor…

Apple reveals MM1 AI model and it could power the new Siri 2.0 | Tom's Guide
Apple is something of a latecomer to the large language model (LLM) scene, lagging behind Google, Microsoft and Meta in creating powerful AI tools, but it seems to be catching up quickly.

Apple researchers have just revealed details of what could be the basis of this next-generation Siri, and if rumors are true, could work alongside Gemini on the iPhone offering a choice.

With the recent news that Apple may be bringing Gemini to the iPhone, and previous remors that the company is also in talks with ChatGPT maker OpenAI, it looks like Apple is taking a multi-faceted approach to achieving the “big bang” Cook promised investors in AI.

Make more sense than first rumor. Allow customers to choose: Apple, Google, OpenAI. They pay Apple🤑?

Thinking Aloud: Comments of seller’s remorse ex-AAPL investors and missed-out-investing-in-AAPL investors didn’t age well.

MM1 seems to be a family of AI models, with the largest around 30 billion parameters. This is significantly smaller than the trillion plus parameters in GPT-4 and Claude 3 Opus but the researchers still claim to match key benchmarks due to improvements in efficiency.

If above claim is proven true, AAPL will be way ahead of everybody, bravo :+1: which also explain why Apple doesn’t need that many H100s (to supplement DC services bought from the big 3 hyperscalers).

The significant breakthrough is in vision, specifically analysis of images and other forms of visual content and the ability to understand the output. I recently tested how well ChatGPT, Claude and Gemini perform at this task.

Coming to Apple Vision Pro soon? I have went to Apple Store for a demo of AVP. Tech is super impressive. However, I realize having a good fit and correct eye prescription is critical (those who experience eye pains and headache is because of incorrect fit and incorrect eye prescription). So I’ll be getting a new eye prescription and another demo with the new prescription glasses before ordering.

Wonder what they are talking about.

:thinking:

Pay more for default.

Expecting new photos where Google and MSFT/OpenAI vie for default… pay up :money_mouth_face:

Depends on whether Apple decides AI is a core competency or not. If Google or OpenAI decided to pay for iPhone default, it’s because they calculated the data coming from iPhone users is worth the price. They can use the data to refine their models and get ahead of competition.

Maybe Apple is so mired in short term thinking and think the cash it’s getting from the contract outweighs its long term future. Sure, it will protect their cash cow iPhone for the next 3 or so years. But without learning and iterating on its own models, Apple can’t infuse AI into their next gen hardware. Why did Zuck sink in billions of R&D on his own models? I am sure Google would be happy to pay Zuck to get their hands on Facebook’s data.

Answer is obvious.

However, not inconsistent with ask for payment. Best analogy I can think of is: Web search and Spotlight.

Intruding privacy? AdTech? Apple doesn’t rely on Ad for income nor sell personal info to governments for $.

They refers to Apple.

Look like my suggestion falls on deaf ears.

Still waiting for…

Since…

…no need to let imagination run wild. Should wait for more details (most likely during WWDC). In fact, so far, rumors is not very clear what is happening, many details are omitted.

In a strategic move to bolster its artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities, Apple Inc. has acquired DarwinAI., a company renowned for pioneering machine learning and neural network research.

DarwinAIs expertise in shrinking down AI models to run efficiently on Apple devices, such as the iPhone, aligns seamlessly with Apple’s focus on optimizing performance and prioritizing user privacy.

MM1, DarwinAI, … Apple insists on running AI on device i.e. without internet connection.
The current ChatGPT 3.5 that I am using needs an internet connection to work.

Joe’s conjectures. He opines is win-win for both parties regardless of financial terms. A deal would validate the business case for selling compute bundled with Gen AI service. OpenAI is not a good choice. MSFT is. So is a toss between GOOG and MSFT if the rumor is true. If this deal goes through, would encourage AMZN to consider going into this type of business.

AAPL buys compute from AWS, Google Cloud and Azure. So adding Gen AI service is logical.

Bear in mind, AAPL focuses on selling edge devices and services, and not keen to develop a hyperscaler business to compete with AWS, Google Cloud and Azure… Chamath thinks they should. This is a debate for MBAs and corporate strategists.

Apple sucks at AI. Everyone except cult members agree.

Bet on the wrong horse and suffer consequences. No end in sight on that bet either.

Same people, same shit comment on SIRI. No comment on other apps. Out of many, only one product SIRI sucks… who are the idiots use SIRI? It means can’t find fault on other apps, that is Apple is an outstanding company :+1:

Home pods? What is a home pod?

I use Apple AirPods to connect to AppleTV.

Delusional people who use the flagship AI product from Apple.

SIRI is a flagship product? Hmm… how come I didn’t use it at all. I use almost all consumer grade apps and own almost all Apple hardware. Just didn’t use SIRI. If not for some haters keep reminding me, I don’t remember there is such a product.

Flagship AI product. I don’t use it either. I tried couple times over the years and was always disappointed. I have learned not to trust Apple on AI.

You say is flagship, then is flagship? Never hear that it is a flagship product. All Apple products have AI… ML kind e.g.

Apple Glasses in 2027 :slight_smile: 3+ years later.

Apple Vision Air (consumer grade, $1500-$2000) in 2026. 2+ years later and not at least 5 years according to an ex-chip programmer. IMHO, Apple will only release the consumer grade when there are enough apps with 1-2 very good. 2026 is the earliest date, could be later.

Wow. Tim Cook surely has changed a lot. Did not know he has put on so much weight.

Apple has also changed a lot since Jobs’ time. Did not expect them to put out detailed roadmap years in advance.

Rumor/ leak by Samsung.

Point no.2 on my list below.

USG realizes big techs are taking political influence from them. Looking for ways to assault big techs. The rationale for suing is BS… can be any reason. Apple haters keep talking as if only Apple is under assault :man_shrugging:t3: and Apple is evil… lack of big picture thinking… tired of reading myopic and prejudiced comments. All big techs will be under assault one by one. The attack on TikTok is a magic show in finesse, sneakily lay the ground work to control all US tech companies.