Abcd

Japan is 110 million population. Japan benefits from access to a larger market. India does not benefit as much. India will control who get to sell in Indian market and at what tariffs.

Only if US can’t innovate.

That’s what other nations wanted to do since USA started printing money uncontrollably.

More appropriate to use a model similar to Maslow’s hierarchy of needs to categorize those industries. With automation, IT and industrialization, we no longer take much time completing many tasks e.g. washing dishes/ clothes, growing of veggies and preparation of meals, etc. So we have plenty of free time… we use these free time to enrich ourselves, enjoy entertainment and socialize/ blogging :roll_eyes:

So pessimistic. During early days of nation building in Singapore, Singapore government nationalized many industries and dominated many key industries. Many think government would eventually own everything. Now, many has been privatized and in fact, many functions of the government are also privatized. That is private sector can run many industries and some government functions more efficiently. So I doubt USG would eventually own everything, is not efficient.

Small population base is not the key reason for joining RECP. Both countries have little national resources and need to import lots of stuffs. And has to export value-added stuffs to earn foreign money to pay for such imports. So benefit a lot from tariff free zone.

India doesn’t benefit from tariff free zone as much because they don’t have much to export. So where can India earn the necessary foreign money to pay for imports? Apparently, remittances from overseas SWEs are not enough :slight_smile: The logical step is for India to develop domestic industries to be big enough to cater to domestic market and have sufficient capacity to export. Since India government is not very rich, India needs foreign investment to help develop these industries.

That is what exactly India is doing. It is allowing industries within to emerge and mature. For example, the Indian private sector has its own electric car offering, electric scooter, its own digital payment platform, its own pharma industry. Biden even blocked ingredients for one vaccine but relented. The Indian company is planning to go with an alternative ingredient bypassing Biden.

India is doing all the right things without being part these trading blocks which have proved of little use to India.

To import, you do not be a member of a trading block. Trading blocks are generally to pool markets and give access to combined market to sell.

Pay more :slight_smile:

Tariff free :slight_smile: and restriction-free :wink:

Pay even more :rofl:

The climate focus is really about destroying capitalism. The US greenhouse gas emissions peaked over a decade ago. The per capita emissions peaked multiple decades ago. Biden wants to lower them by 50% which would be below 1960’s levels. Remember that in the 1970’s, all the climate scientists were concerned about cooling and predicting another ice age.

I don’t get why no one cares about accountability of infrastructure spend. There’s not a project out there that doesn’t end up at least 3x the original budget. The bay bridge being 6x happens all the time. We should be able to afford at least 3x more projects if people are accountable. Instead, we just hand them more money.

Japan official population is 127M but that is irrelevant figure. as Japanese factory employ millions more directly and indirectly across RCEP countries. Japan will attract more and more bright people that will enhance there own countries industries back home. while Indian economy will be only connected to Software Industry of US West Coast.

If India continue on current path it will self destruct as No European countries will invest in such poorly connected market on scale needed to lift the boats to be able to create consumer society.
Germany has Robert Koch institute. just look at its German website and understand its implications.

India’s focus is on India. India has a big population, three times that of the EU. That is why India is not so much dependent upon on other trading blocks. If EU does not want to do business with India, so be it.
Added Later: Despite EU, India has good relation with the individual countries of EU. I think India is a world leader in the sense that it is emphasizing bilaterlism over multilateralism

Couldn’t agree more with you here. We need to figure out how to build responsibly again.

you do not build responsibly by voting irresponsible people.

1 Like

LOL. We are going to need to rebuild a lot of the infrastructure in this country. We can’t just sit around and wait. I trust Biden to do it more than I trust Trump. I hope we get to a bipartisan bill negotiated by reasonable that makes sense for the most part.

I’m sure there will be some waste. But in this case I think best is the opponent of better. We need to move forward.

1 Like

Translation: We need to apportion a lot of fund to steal from.

BTW, just to understand your point of view better, what is the infrastructure you want to rebuild anyway? And what about doing things that do not require you to spend extra money?

The issues are at the local levels. The president had zero to do with the bay bridge debacle. People generally don’t pay attention to what’s happening at the local level.

It’s the same where people repeat the prop 13 BS about how it’s killing local revenues. The cities complaining are growing property tax revenue by 8% a year. That’s much greater than inflation. The issue is they can’t manage the money. Government officials will never admit they are terrible at managing budgets. They’ll always blame lack of revenue. Giving them more money is like trusting an addict to hold onto the drugs.

Have you seen our roads, bridges, airports, energy, and network infrastructure compared to other developed nations?

This is all just basic blocking and tackling that needs to be addressed. Republicans and Democrats mostly agree on the basic fact that we are falling behind in all of these areas.

I wonder which states manage their spend the best.

What is wrong with those (roads, bridges, airports, energy, and network infrastructure) ? We are already paying highest gas tax. And then Bonds for Train to nowhere. And then ticket price. What else do you want to extract? And what about things that you can do without spending a single extra dollar?

Please explain?

Take one example. Biden is allowing illegals to enter through borders. He can stop it without costing an extra dollar.

Now can you explain infrastructure thingie?

India big population dont make difference as they dont have purchasing power or infrastructure opportunities to consume what EU produce. and this will be more and more apparent with time and going forward relationship with EU will depend on how India integrate itself into RCEP system. as EU firms are built for supply chains around RCEP with products and services built for much larger and wealthier population.

This car is priced higher than Tesla Model Y.