Amazon HQ2

University of Florida has potential to catch up with Georgia Tech or even UT someday. Denver is even worse. Seattle is not much better

University of Washington has top ranked CS program. Colorado’s CS program is also quite good. Nothing in Florida is close.

Weather can overcome university

Chicago has many world class universities. If you count UIUC there’s even more.

Only if you want to be a beach bum instead of working.

Miami >> Chicago. University is less important than weather and money. Most of the new graduates are from out of state

Chicago is actually an excellent choice the more I think about it. Housing is affordable. It’s a real first class city with all the perks like restaurants and shops. That region also has tons of good universities. Every one of Big 10 is good.

Gun violence? Taxes?

Isn’t the standard GOP response to gun violence “everybody get a gun”?

1 Like

Cha-ching for some lucky city…

If Chicago or New York is chosen, I won’t buy any house in Chicago. Too big to have a pop.

Chicago and NYC get a thumbs down from me.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/search-for-amazon-hq2-sparks-real-estate-speculation-1540200601

1 Like

Where then you would buy? Austin, Houston, Raleigh… ?

Amazon reportedly visited Miami, Chicago, New York City, Newark, and locations in the Washington, DC, area.

Jeff is trapped by analysis paralysis.

Could it be that frankly these places are not slam dunk locations? Kind of like when the referees are taking too long on instant replay. It simply is not so clear cut…

Come on, open it up again in the West!!! You know the Bay Area is sweet, Bezos!!!

I honestly wonder how involved he is in the decision. He tends to delegate and expect teams to make the decisions. He’ll offer some feedback and insight, but he wants them to make the decisions. He’s the exact oppose of Steve Jobs in that way.

I still think it needs to be somewhere lower cost than Seattle. I’m amazed how many employees complain about housing prices and are renters. They also complain about how high rent is.

1 Like

:rofl:

They thought with their high pay they should be able to buy a 4Br/4Bth 4000 sqft SFH on a 15k lot.
If the price of houses (& rents) are lower, their pay would be cut :roll_eyes: