Amazon HQ2

Thought Apple shuts out Bezos from Austin? Apple already has a large presence in Austin. Don’t think Apple has much presence in NYC and DC.

I don’t like Bezos

I have the same reaction to how Bezos played this. In an era where Salesforce, Google and FB do everything to keep their local communities happy, Amazon is asking for tax payer subsidies, setting up false expectations and then going where they always wanted to go!

Will these cities now have the guts to tell Amazon that we’ll only give you 50% of the promised subsidies since you are bringing in only 50% of the promised headcount?

2 Likes

Both cities based the subsidies on amount of jobs created. If the jobs don’t happen, then there’s no subsidy. The cities aren’t giving away subsidies thinking they get all 50,000 jobs and only getting half.

Imagine all the young men eating by themselves…

Voelker adds that many restaurants in the Amazon bubble have large bar areas to accommodate all the high-income workers who don’t cook and dine alone frequently. “There’s a lot of people just coming in every day. They don’t know anybody, and they’re dining out and they’re meeting people. So you seen bar-dining culture evolving,” Voelker says.

What the heck is yappy hour?

Amazon has dog-friendly amenities throughout its Seattle headquarters. (After all, if you don’t have to rush home to walk your dog, you’ll keep working.) “Dog happy hours are a big thing and people are always asking on forums: ‘Where can we go that’s dog friendly?'” Voelker says.

Also the big boss may have a say…

Jeff Bezos himself might weigh in on dining options.

If cities will indeed stick to doling out incentives tied to actual job growth then all the power to them! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not really HQ2 and 3 specific but talks in detail about the bar raiser system in Amazon. Amazon is a trailblazer in a lot of new management techniques that don’t get a lot of press. Someone should write a whole book on that topic.

I have yet to see new ideas, only old ideas rephrased. Tell AMZN to stop doing that. Very tiring.

Which other company has bar raisers in interviews?

DIdn’t read the article, just know no new ideas. Now that you ask, I need to waste few minutes of my time to read.

Glance through. Bar raisers are nothing new, f… waste my time.

it’s a long read. Enjoy. :smile:

I’m working on getting enough onsite interviews to get into the training program for it. It’s an amazing internal networking tool, since you aren’t allowed to be a bar raiser for your own department. When I interviewed onsite, almost everyone in the loop was a bar raiser.

1 Like

No wonder this site was picked…

3 Likes

It’s not insider trading if you buy RE but not stock.

1 Like

WSJ says that seattle housing market shudders due to HQ2. Fortunately, BA landlord does not need to lure tenants with $2,500 Amazon gift card yet

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-amazon-plants-hq2-flags-seattles-housing-market-shudders-1542715205

Amazon.com Inc.’s announcement last week that it will add new headquarters in New York and Virginia, far from its hometown, injects new uncertainty into the already slowing Seattle market.

Seattle home sales are already down this year compared with last and home price growth has eased. Price cuts are becoming more common and bidding wars more scarce. Rental landlords are struggling to lure tenants, promising perks like free rent and $2,500 Amazon gift cards.

Loophole. That’s how many early FBers and Googlers make a killing. They buy many houses before IPO. Same go for other startups that are about to IPO. Who want to sponsor a bill to forbid such purchases? Or limit to just Primary.

Fake news. There are 8,000 open jobs and enough RE projects under way to hold thousands more. There’s still lots of hiring in Seattle. Oh, and Google’s buildings aren’t done yet either.

But this is real news, “Price cuts are becoming more common and bidding wars more scarce. Rental landlords are struggling to lure tenants, promising perks like free rent and $2,500 Amazon gift cards.”, right?

A ton of apartment inventory has come online in the last year, and it’s all luxury units. That market is probably crowded now. People who had non-luxury units used to be able to charge almost close to luxury unit rent. People will leave those units for new units, and those landlords will have to lower rent to get a back fill. That’s not surprising.

3 Likes

Cheer up, losers!!!