Amazon HQ2

amazon

That’s why I was never interested in buying houses at HQ2. It takes a long time to ramp up the headcount, not to mention the coming recession and corporate restructuring

Smart. Likely to buy at inflated price that either go nowhere till the next run or worse drop when recession strikes.

Did you buy near Diridon station where google bought 50 acres land and building 25000 capacity office+many things? This is near and firm in 4-10 years.

If I get another opportunity, esp financing in 1 or 2 years, nice lot or nice home, I will buy.

No, I did not, or not yet :rofl:

What’s the best location to take advantage of this? I’m looking to buy something in December or January, preferably December, but couldn’t find anything interesting.

Any place (condo, town home or SFH) near by Diridon station for rental.

Gee, Jeff, you don’t look so happy there… girl problems, hmmmm???

The author Nancy Bass Wyden has her real nightmares which is not related to Amazon. It was caused by her building being designated as a landmark building. Never buy a landmark building or “historic” building.

A particularly galling example of this disconnect? As some New York city and state politicians courted Jeff Bezos, others were deciding it would be OK to add to my expenses by requiring my Manhattan bookstore – the third-generation-owned, 91-year-old Strand – to be designated as a landmark building.

This alleged honorific would present me with a regulatory nightmare: When any building is designated a landmark, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission henceforth must approve all building changes – from window repair and signage adjustment to the type of mortar used to repair a crack in the walls. The labyrinthine process for such approval places a burden that would cost us time and money – as it does every other small business that is so designated. Maintaining the building would require hiring landmarking experts, architects and lawyers. This additional cost, on top of our already thin margins, could very well grind the Strand into bankruptcy.

After spending the majority of his life working at the Strand and saving his money for more than 60 years, my father, Fred Bass, purchased the building housing the Strand in 1996 to ensure the survival of his business. Ironically, his investment could be the undoing of his life’s work.

Though there is one more hearing at which we can argue our case against landmark status, the odds are unlikely to favor us. The city has made clear its intention to force through the designation.