Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 Covid-19

Does it matter? If a person is alive before catching Covid, and dead after, it’s obvious Covid kills them. Don’t know how that person has this or that condition matters.

If a person was never going to live to see the year 2021 even they hadn’t contracted COVID - yes, that matters.

1 Like

It’s not just the death but also long term effects for people who are alive after covid should be considered. Just checking only the death rate is not right.

3 Likes

Are you suggesting we should cull the seniors? Huge implication for Medicare spending if true.

OK, just hide for the rest of your life and avoid contact with other people then.

2 Likes

Simple masking up and keeping distance where possible already goes a long way. Why is there so much resistance to doing that? I don’t see people challenging wearing seat belts, or following traffic rules, or other safety instructions.

1 Like

I don’t mind that. It’s closed schools, closed businesses, 10pm curfews, and neighbors screaming at you if you’re not wearing a mask while walking your dog…

1 Like

Where have I been against masks? I’m against forcing businesses to close. Especially since the rules around it have been arbitrary and political. We have the fatality rate by age data. We have the data or comorbidities. We understand who’s at risk, and those people can stay home. There’s zero reason to make everyone stay home.

2 Likes

I’m suggesting it’s not worth destroying the lives of millions of young people to give folks who’ve already had a good innings another year or two. I already posted a link detailing a sane approach.

2 Likes

The irony to me is how overnight we’ve gone from a culture that sent sick sniffling, coughing, queasy, drippy nosed kids into school because mom and dad both have to work to one that won’t send healthy ones in at all because we’re FINALLY worried about the teachers and spreading disease.

As a parent who has gotten truancy notices for keeping a sick kid home until they’re actually well and told that I have to bring my finally recovering kid into the doctor to get a note saying that they really aren’t playing hooky (and then picking up the next virus going around), I think there’s a level of hypocrisy in the response to Covid. If parents had ACTUALLY CARED about teachers, they wouldn’t have sent their flu-ridden beasties in to school in past years. But now, they’re suddenly worried. If school districts had ACTUALLY CARED about teachers, they’d have sent the sick kids home instead of collecting the extra $50 a day of attendance money.

All I can say, is that I’d love it people kept some level of concern over keeping sick home after Covid blows over. But I’m not hopeful.

It pisses me off, because I seem to get every single thing that the kids bring home. :frowning:

3 Likes

Flu and covid are not the same. Pls check the below link

In the beginning of the pandemic I thought bodybuilders won’t die due to covid but 2 ppl in my known circle died. Even if the fatality rate is around 0.03% among young ppl, why risk it? What if our kid fall under 0.03%

1 Like

What’s the alternative? At this point there’s no more hope of contact tracing it away. Right now, people are hoping to wait for a vaccine, but vaccines also have a fatality rate–one which is vastly underreported.

When you’re a parent, you have a choice–you can put your kid in a bubble or you can let them explore life. I have one kid that merits a bubble–she has a spinal abnormality that could cause her to be a quadraplegic. We draw a line at the things that can cause back injury–diving, skydiving, horseback riding, tackle football and gymnastics. But we let her play basketball, go biking, and play on the jungle gym. I’m not going to put her in a bubble–we’ll draw the line at some sane place and move on.

I love my kids, and I love myself, but honestly, I feel like I want people to have sanity and a normal life, friends, and school. I am worried about the teachers at one of the kids’ school–there are some which are high risk, and if it were possible to ask them to take some time off (or retire at 70), I would just do that. But teachers unions and all, I guess you can’t ask teachers to take the year off.

The thing that I keep mentioning that no one talks about is that keeping kids home is increasing their risk factors. All of us have gained 10 pounds since the shelter in place, that puts us even more into the obese range, and they’re not getting out in the sun and getting exercise. There’s increased eating since people are at home with full access to the kitchen. I am trying to at least supplement Vitamin D. At what point is keeping kids home from school actually increasing their risk of dying from Covid plus suicide and child abuse? It’ll be really interesting to see how those stats play out.

2 Likes

I absolutely understand your concern even though I don’t have a kid. This is really a tricky situation. My view is just bear for some more months till winter passes away. I believe it will be better than current situation. Kids won’t take vaccine but at least some adults will start taking vaccine which might control the spread. It’s just speculation though.

1 Like

Agreed. That’s my hope as well–the teachers and elderly who want the vaccine will get it, it’ll be effective for them and we can all return to normal…

1 Like

This is a great article making similar points.The politicization of covid is something I will never forgive this country for. We ended up in a bizarre position where any time trump said “X”, half the country immediately concluded the opposite of “X” must therefore be true.

“There may have been an implicitly political dynamic at work: the greater the threat posed by COVID-19, the greater Trump’s failure in not containing it.”

"The effect of Trump’s declaration was instantaneous. Teachers who had been responsive to the idea of returning to the classroom suddenly regarded the prospect much more warily. "

3 Likes

This is not an issue with 2 philosophical sides. Trump was dead wrong on many of the COVID issues, including his encouragement to avoid social distancing, horrible/incorrect medical advice, encouraging people to go ahead state/local regulations, and downplaying the issue over and over again.

When someone is that wrong, it’s false equivalence to attribute it to “both sides” and being “political”

1 Like

The CDC and WHO originally said masks don’t help or make a difference. They are literally the people who’s job it is to know, and they are suppose to be experts.

Then you had mayors and governors stating Trump had zero legal authority to make rules, and they are going to be the ones making the rules.

Oh, and you had Pelosi making a promotional video to encourage people to visit Chinatown. Then there was the whole Pelosi salon incident.

Biden called travel bans xenophobic and racist when we should have been even more aggressive with it. They would have stopped more sick people from coming into the US.

At least all government mistakes will stop the moment Biden is sworn in.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s pretty hilarious reading Facebook posts that say “Trump said X. I know X is right, but I don’t want to agree with ANYTHING Trump says–he’s so EVIL! Argh!!!”

Even a stopped clock can be right twice a day.

Also, mayors and governors are correct that they, not the federal government, have the jurisdiction over medical matters in their states/cities. For better or for worse, the president can’t force kids to go to school nor force people to shelter in place.

2 Likes

+20,654 yesterday. Highest ever CA.

I heard a report on the news yesterday that 36% of nurses would not take the vaccine, saying they do not trust it. 31% said they are not sure if they would take it. Another byproduct of Trump telling so many lies.

2 Likes