Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 Covid-19

We’ll keep going in covid circles for all of 2021 with such stupidity.

And I think market is underpricing that risk.

The upside of the new more contagious variant is that infections will peak faster than they would have otherwise.

1 Like

Um, if giving half a dose is just as viable, then why did they set the dosage at the original amount?

Those were not scientists, they were…wait for it…politicians…

“We know that for the Moderna vaccine giving half the dose for people between the ages of 18 to 55 — two doses, half the dose, which means exactly achieving the objective of immunizing double the number of people with the doses we have — we know it induces identical immune response to the 100 microgram dose,” Slaoui said.

“And therefore, we are in discussions with Moderna and with the FDA — of course ultimately it will be an FDA decision — to accelerate injecting half the volume,” he added.

Make MRNA like masks. A political statement. Was good for the stock price

1 Like

That’s the real truth. I wonder if he will get backlash for it. Politicians don’t dare say it.

2 Likes

But eating better food and changing lifestyle requires sacrifices, and Americans don’t like making sacrifices. People already know what needs to be done to get healthy. They just don’t have the willpower to do it. There is nothing new here.

2 Likes

That’s what Whole Foods wants you to believe. Eat their overpriced natural organic stuff and you will be invincible.

Americans used to drop dead by age 40 in the 1800s. They surely did have plenty of exercise and didn’t drink soda or eat industrial processed food. Now we expect people to live beyond 70. Nothing to do with better lifestyle and “eating better”.

1 Like

why is obesity going up? Both data looks contradictory

No proof of health benefits from organic food. Especially concerning longevity. I am convinced people that live longer are tougher and have better genes. People are fat because they spend to much screen time. Move or die.

As far as food. I grew up on crap food. Canned or frozen vegetables and fruit plus Meat and potatoes. That is all Americans ate until Alice Waters and the food revolution. Nobody cared about ethnic, organic or gourmet food until the 80s. Look at 70s movies and earlier, no fat people. Food was just for survival. People ate to live. Now they live to eat. Better food is the problem not the solution.

I’d rather have more healthcare: more antibiotics, more vaccinations, more regular checkups etc, than “exercise more and eating better”. Even if you exercise as much as a caveman you’d still die young like a caveman did, without the help of modern medicine.

4 Likes

That’s where the vast majority of healthcare dollars are spent.

“ The health care costs of individuals with chronic disease tend to dwarf those of individuals without a chronic disease. Annually, direct health care costs for a patient with chronic disease average $6,032, approximately 5 times that of a person without a chronic disease.[22] These costs are primarily derived from more frequent hospitalizations and emergency room visits and greater prescription drug use.”

Read more: Chronic Disease in the United States: A Worsening Health and Economic Crisis - AAF
Follow us: @AAF on Twitter

1 Like

“ Seventy-five percent of health care spending in the United States goes to treat chronic conditions.
This figure is even higher for Medicaid, where 80 cents of every $1 is spent on chronic conditions.”

“But you can prevent many of these chronic conditions by addressing their root cause: daily habits. About 80% of chronic diseases are driven by lifestyle factors such as diet and exercise, he says.”

75% of spending is on chronic disease and 80% of that is driven by lifestyle choices. Most of the US healthcare spending is due to lifestyle choices.

Can you point me to any point in the past when people ate well and exercised the right amount? Theoretically if we don’t make any mistake, pick the right stock and just sit tight we all can become billionaires like Buffett. But that’s why I said “theoretically”. It’s unreasonable to expect people to all do those things. That’s why we need healthcare. We need more of it, not less.

Compare the life expectancy of 1900 with 2020 and tell me how exercise helped.

1 Like

I created an account just to correct this common misconception. The life expectancy increase is mostly due to fewer childhood deaths, not longer lifespans.

3 Likes

If you removed the childhood death factor, and start the count at age 5. The rise is less steep but we still live 20 years longer compared to 1850.

And more relevant to my point is the upward trend. We are getting fatter over these years but live longer. Could we live even longer had we exercise more? Absolutely. But the effect and wider availability of modern medicine trumps any “eating well and exercise more” sermon.

Top causes of death in 1850:

1. Tuberculosis
  2. Dysentery/diarrhea
  3. Cholera
  4. Malaria
  5. Typhoid Fever
  6. Pneumonia
  7. Diphtheria
  8. Scarlet Fever
  9. Meningitis
  10. Whooping Cough

Now that we’ve conquered those we kill ourselves with preventable chronic illnesses. We lower our qualify of life and rely on a bunch of meds to manage symptoms from the chronic illnesses.

3 Likes

Pneumonia is still a major cause of death. In fact covid death results come from pneumonia. I think average lifespan will be limited to 80-90. Quality of life drops after 80 for ninety percent of folks. We don’t need a world full of 100 year olds.

3 Likes