Costco is cheaper than Amazon

Sorry man. I need more than one liners to keep my attention…

719 today, whats going on with AMZN? Is there any legit reason for this downfall? I cant seem to find any.

Apple and facebook also another felt 3%. FANG have been falling non stop since Trump won.

Since Trump won nasdaq is down, Dow Jones up.

Read somewhere that expectation is Trump will reduce financial regulation. Hence, money moving from tech to finance+banking.

1 Like

And then people will say no trump doesn’t mean what he said. What does trump mean then? What are the policies trumpsters voted for? Unicorn and rainbow?

I suspect like Brexit many trump voters will come to regret their votes.

Some more theories I saw on why FANG is suffering:

1. Anti-trust concern. Apparently Trump made some threats about going after tech companies? Amazon is weighing because Jeff Bezos’ Washington Post is critical of Trump.

2. Restriction of H1B visa’s, so tech companies may starve of talents.

3. Trade policies disrupting global supply chain.

All theories so far. Don’t know what the heck is going on anymore… :frowning:

I think it’s mostly your point #3, trade policies. Technology companies have benefited tremendously in the past. It seems certain there will be some setbacks under Trump. People just don’t know how hard that will be.

Apple has a global supply chain, but Google, Facebook, Netflix and Amazon don’t. Trade policies alone can’t explain their fall.

If I understand it correctly, trade agreements also include how information can flow, and where information can be stored. Protectionism slows down or even stalls the free information exchange. That will severely impact the oversea business of the tech companies.

Examples of that include: both EU and Canada have policies to limit critical user information to be kept inside the border, but these were loosened up with various agreements.

2 Likes

Trump said he’s killing the TPP right? Most tech relies heavily on IP protection abroad (at least for growth)

Killing TPP is just another present for China. 2016 has been great for Putin and Xi.

I agree killing TPP would be a mistake for US, both economically and geopolitically. However, it is appealing to other parts of the country.

TPP is intellectual protectionism – which aspects do the rural parts of the country oppose? I presume it includes some mandate for the US to allow unfettered imports? Why does rural america think that, if Trump creates import tarriffs, they will be given high paying jobs rather than replaced with robots?

TPP removes trade barriers to goods roughly 40% of global GDP. This has US labors directly pit against third world countries. Even though it also boosts US economy, historically the benefits rarely trickled down to workers(not in proportion at least). Robot effect will be more significant some day in the future, so far, it hasn’t been part of the concerns yet.

So there are existing trade barriers that will be removed.

Robot effect is so far insignificant only because it is so cheap to employ Chinese workers (I was shocked to see the video of a guy in a playing card factory manually putting cards in the boxes-- if he wasn’t working for peanuts, it would be quickly automated). The point being, trade barriers will quickly accelerate domestic adoption of automation

I guess that’s bullish for tech

1 Like

Trump is bad for tech…Doesn’t understand it…Kind of like Bush sr, who didnt know the difference between potato chips and silicon chips…

POTATOE

Amazon Gains Ground on Flipkart in India

Three years ago, Amazon’s India website didn’t exist. Now, the company is moving within striking distance of India’s homegrown e-commerce champion Flipkart. The Wall Street Journal looks at how it got there.

Low enough to nibble at COST?

India should follow Chinese and stop the big tech going to India. Otherwise they will dominate and kill local companies.