Dow Down 666 Points

Thank you @Jil for all of your contributions on stocks and investments until now. I am sorry that the conversation turned out this way.

Talking about money and investments with people is always hard. One reason I am so forthcoming here and enjoy this forum so much is that we have something really unusual and special. A group of pretty smart investors, several of whom are very knowledgeable/successful, enough anonymity that people can be open about what they’re doing and what they think, diversity of opinions, people spending TIME to think through other people’s situations, enough homogeneity that we are optimizing along same-ish lines (similar taxes and usually State for example), AND enough success in the forum that I always feel like a small fish. I’ve always felt that everyone is just trying to give advice to help me succeed. No one appears to envy my investments here because I think I am younger than most and at such a small scale.

But it’s hard to sustain. I am seeing little shoots of things happening. The sort of things which make it hard for me to discuss investments with most of my friends. I realized that my relative success in investing often created sad, envious, or just weird reactions.

The people who I can talk about investing with and are most supportive without other emotions getting in the way are my super-successful founder friends. They are always so happy and impressed with how I’ve handled my investments. Unfortunately most of them aren’t really regular investors so I learn more in this forum. One invests in startups but not really other things. Another is extremely conservative - pretty much savings account level. They are so focused on their startups and making them successful that buying rental properties or the stock market is just not something they want to think about. In most cases they don’t even buy a primary home until they have cashed out of their startups, then they buy with mostly or all cash. Otherwise maybe they have everything in a tracker fund but they are not thinking about it a lot. The notable exception is my ex, who sold his first company in dot com boom and is working on a new startup now. He actually invests and speculates a lot. I think it’s partially an age thing as he’s early 40s and most of my friends are early 30s.

Anyway, my point is let’s not lose this discourse bc of the usual reasons. Can we have some of these conversations in the member lounge? Can @manch or even one of us set up a separate stock forum which is highly moderated to keep focus on the topic and not the individuals or whether they are right or wrong in general ?

1 Like

Since @harriet is the only one who understands you, and more importantly I understand her, I will take her words instead of yours. :smile:

1 Like

Funny, not always. I think she occasionally like to taunt me by stretching what I intend to mean because I did that sometimes. That is what I mean she understands me too.

How can you be sorry for conversations you weren’t involved in?

1 Like

Because she felt partially responsible for @jil’s “downfall” due to my association with them in my “lemmings” comment… :rofl:

1 Like

:scream: I missed the Amzn boat time and again… :sob:

1 Like

It’d be hard to have enough people/posts in a separate stock forum. In hindsight the name of this forum is kinda a misnomer. It has morphed into a forum for current and ex Bay Area people who are more or less successful financially. And similar to other Bay Area people we like to talk about houses, investments, stocks, tech, schools, politics, Chinese food… OK, maybe just a few on the last topic. :smile:

1 Like

Only free and open ON TOPIC discussions can bring out the truth WITHOUT ASSUMPTIONS OF MOTIVE.

You are the troublemaker! :rage:

1 Like

Ah found it after searching for “lemmings” :slight_smile:

BayAreaTurks.com or BAMavericks.com or BAFools.com :slight_smile:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

@Jil Be a man!! (Apologies to all women just using a phrase) :slight_smile:

And in hanera’s case - his obsession with harems…

1 Like

It’s still early. You should have bought when Trump made his tweets about AMZN. It was just below $1400.

Old men do what old men do… :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Yes I think I’ll sell a couple houses and use the proceeds to buy Amzn. What do you think of this idea?

1 Like

Yes, has been thinking of that since I was a teenager. A lion with many lionesses that do the hunting. Many misunderstand that the lion did no work but is not true. The lion takes on the most dangerous task. My biggest regret is living in this era. Why oh why am I not born earlier.

It would certainly diversify you away from being so bay area focused.

INTC is up big on a beat too.

So lewd… :rofl: