Everything Prefab

She can be the executive chef. Just needs to make the recipes. I know the guys who can run the place

See, my wife is so afraid to share the recipes, fearing someone is going to run off with her treasuresā€¦

There is a Malaysian restaurant in San Mateo near Marina Market. You been there?

Oh, I have not. Name? I will have to Yelp it. The last Malaysian place I went to closed down (Mango Garden) and Lyang Lyang I thought was decent but I guess people here frown on it.

It has been a whileā€¦I donā€™t know if still thereā€¦I checked, it is closed

Still looks like hand built just in a factory settingā€¦
Prefab may cut costs 20% on sticks and bricksā€¦But wonā€™t cut land or entitlement costsā€¦Therefor the sales price will still be 90% of site builtā€¦
Zoning is keyā€¦Height limits need to be increased.

Could some parts be automated over time?

The real cost savings are not in the construction. They are in the land and added height. While estimates of 20% savings in prefab may be true, labor and materials have driven construction costs up 50%. Losing battle.

1 Like

We need more mobile homes. In the 60s 500k per year now 93k a year built ā€¦ 22 million people live in mobile homes
BTW. The average mobile home costs $70k to build.
Half the cost of stick built in the cheapest area to build in the US

Studies shows that mobile home construction peaked in the early 1970s (just prior to enactment of nationwide regulations designed to combat past manufacturing quality concerns). As a result, many of these 332,000 vacant mobile homes were likely built before enactment of the nationwide construction standards. They are reaching the end of their useful lifespans. Figure 1

1 Like

I hope this picks up even more. Itā€™s not just money, itā€™s also the time it takes for people. They look 18 months end-to-end around bay area.

So the framing is cheaper and faster. Zoning and regulations are the issue. Not construction technology.
In fact these homes are the same as stick built in terms of materials. Hardly revolutionary.
Meanwhile lumber prices have doubled and Trump wants to put more tariffs on Canadian lumber. And the American timber industry is toast thanks to the environmental nazis and the EPAs spotted owl.

Steel framing is still too expensive, but is the way of the futureā€¦need a robot system to weld up steel framed panels. Like car welders

One day? :slight_smile:

Never mind that it took months to build in the factory. Plus six months to get a permit plus $100k in junk fees to the city. Foundation demo and grading took another month. What about the garage, fencing landscaping driveway. 1 day is all hype

No I get that, but do you think this is one damn way to scale things even more?

The way i see that is:

1. You can mass produce a bunch of homes with different ā€œskinsā€
  2. Permits would be easier for ā€œsame planā€
  3. Garage landscaping etc is meh.

All the big builders stick build. Factory is outside and they have big economies of scale. Build 100 or more onsite schedule workers going from lot to lot.
Can never get that on single site projects.