Fremont <1.5M still very hot

how much would you need to spend?

This is a decent guide. Any other guesses are farts in the wind.

Pretty clean oneā€¦

1 Like

All time high for this area, I guess. All of the schools are ordinary.

So whats driving the price?

I see lots of similarities in Fremont and Santa Clara except for may be one major difference.Santa Clara is very close to major companies. But otherwise very similar.

Fremont neighborhoods are newer and better than Santa Clara. Also, you can get to SF by BART under an hour. Same time to San Mateo, Palo Alto, or Sunnyvale. Basically you can commute easily but you have to almost always commute; unless you are working for Lam Research, Tesla, Cisco, or now Facebook.

Like my tenants said when I warned them that my home does not feed to the vaulted schools of Fremont, they didnā€™t care. We will make the schools better, they saidā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks. For similar house in similar school district I see a difference of 400K between Fremont and Santa Clara. May be that premium for being closer to work.

Seen that first hand. But I think it needs a critical score level. 5/6 is not that level. 7 may be. 8 definitely is.

The schools in this area are already 7 academically. GreatSchools messed up its scores by some other factors. So these schools will get better and better. Test scores for Asians here are already 10 and the number of Asians is growing. So itā€™s just a matter of time. Unlike Santa Clara, Fremont schools are pretty good. Almost comparable to Cupertino schools. This one is the lowest ranked one and will go up in a few years too.

Besides Mission SJ school district and may be Ardenwood I think most of the schools are <7 in Fremont. Correct me if I am wrong. Even Ardenwood schools score have risen recently. They used to be pretty bad. I checked some new build houses there couple of years ago.

Very similar to Santa Clara where a part overlaps with Cupertino school district and has good schools. But I agree on one part. Much more Asians in Fremont. So schools ratings are bound to go up in future.

As per high schools, Mission High is as good as the top Cupertino school. American, Irvington, Warmsprings are like Homestead high. Washington is decent. Kennedy high is the last one and getting better. So schools are way better than Santa Clara.

Thanks. How are the elementary and middle schools. Since most tech workers are younger lot I think they will matter more.

Santa Clara would lose hands down to any city on this. Most Elementary and Middle schools are rated 5 or 6.

Iā€™ve been tracking Fremont schools since 2013. Donā€™t think Ardenwood elementary was 7 since then, was actually 9 . The new KB homes in Patterson Ranch community although in Ardenwood area have been assigned to Patterson elementary school rated 7.

1 Like

Elementary and middle schools are also quite good. Other plus with Fremont is, as we had discussed earlier, the city voted against rent control.

Thanks folks. Prices seems reasonable than, and have lot more space to grow further.

I will look for an investment in SFR there once I close my current house in Santa Clara.

5 Likes

Already under contact? Congratulations!

Congrats! Where about in Santa Clara?

Killarney farms neighborhood. Didnt wanted to go too deep into Santa Clara. I think the gentrification axis is MV->Sunnyvale->Santa Clara. Not that it matters much because we will be moving in and intend to use it as our primary home for sometime.

I have cash left after this so would be open to buy another property later in the Winter (after the elections) when I have some more time to sit back and think. We were rushed this time.

4 Likes

God, pushing that Irvington School District now, will ya??? (Yes, a markdown, but still, a small houseā€¦)