Gun Control

If people knew English they wouldn’t be that stupid.

“Show me your hands — gun!” one officer yells, according to the body camera footage released Wednesday. It is dark outside and a flashlight from one body camera briefly shows the backyard,

but the man is not visible.

“Gun, gun, gun,” one of the officers yells before they begin shooting.

You think a body cam’s field of vision is the same as a person? The body cam points straight ahead from the body. A person can turn their head. I should stick to ignoring you.

:smile::smile::smile:

Allow me to do the intuitive leap…

No, I mean instead of simply always relying on past stats to “prove your point” and project the future (despite results happening that are unwanted) I would like alternative approaches to problems to be tried, that’s all. If it doesn’t work, bring the old laws/rules back. How can anyone remotely objective be opposed to that?

1 Like

You want to try things that are statistically proven to be ineffective just so we can confirm they won’t work?

So, when did you become a fortune teller?

1 Like

It’s already statistically proven. I don’t need to be a fortune teller. I just need to pay attention to results in the real world.

1 Like

That is funny… how many people died again in massacres this year alone??

Uh, no statistics needed…

1 Like

Agreed.

1 Like

I have shared above statistics 17 days ago

Why is gun violence so high in the US as compared to other developed countries?

In my view the right statistics to debate are the following:

Take countries with the top indicators of socioeconomic success — income per person and average education level, for instance. The United States ranks ninth in the world among them, bested only by the likes of Luxembourg, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, Iceland, Andorra, Canada and Finland.

Those countries all also enjoy low rates of gun violence, but the U.S. has the 31st highest rate in the world: 3.85 deaths due to gun violence per 100,000 people in 2016. That was eight times higher than the rate in Canada, which had .48 deaths per 100,000 people — and 27 times higher than the one in Denmark, which had .14 deaths per 100,000.

The numbers comes from a massive database maintained by the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, which tracks lives lost in every country, in every year, by every possible cause of death. The figures for 2016 were released just last month. As in previous years, the data paint a fairly rosy picture for much of the world, with deaths due to gun violence rare even in many countries that are extremely poor — such as Bangladesh and Laos, which saw .16 deaths and .13 deaths respectively per 100,000 people.

Prosperous Asian countries such as Singapore and Japan boast the absolute lowest rates, though the United Kingdom and Germany are in almost as good shape.

It is a little surprising that a country like ours should have this level of gun violence," says Ali Mokdad, a professor of global health and epidemiology at the IHME. “If you compare us to other well-off countries, we really stand out.”

2 Likes

How much of a gang and drug problem do those other countries have? Half of the gun violence is gangs. The US also has very high rates in specific cities while most of the country has very low rates. Our large cities are very different demographics than those countries.

If you are making a claim that other developed countries are different and there is a causality due to those differences to gun related deaths then show me a credible data+study which says so.

Otherwise, this is just an unsubstantiated claim and I will have to spend 2 hours on internet research to refute it.

1 Like

It’s not like gangs keep a registry of members, so we can’t compare gang membership by country. We do know half of the gun violence is gang on gang which is drug related. That’s a causal factor in half of our gun violence.

It’s also difficult to get Opiod drug usage by country. The US does consume over 80% of the prescription pain killers though, and 75% of addicts started with prescription drugs. I think it’s reasonable to figure we have a much larger Opiod problem than those other countries and gangs are the ones trafficking it.

I think if it was a US wide issue, then you’d see a more even gun violence rate across the country. However, we have certain cities where the rate is much, much higher than even neighboring cities. Clearly, there is something specific to those cities with a very high gun violence rate.

So, you made a claim other countries do not have gang problem & now you say the data is out of Trump’s fart :slight_smile:

Now new reason, so gun violence due to Opiods?
When did USA start having Opiod problem, pretty recent(10-15 years) isn’t it? Did USA have a gun death problem compared to other developed countries before the opioid issue appeared?

If you’re making claims show me data you’re basing it on, otherwise we have more important things to do than chase down all unsubstantiated claims.

1 Like

I didn’t claim. I asked if they have gang problems. I’m honestly not sure if they do. I do know half of our gun problem is gangs. Before Opiods, it was cocaine. How do you think gangs make their money? They deal drugs.

Gun homicides in the US have been decreasing. I posted before the rate of decrease is more than Australia’s decrease since their gun ban. People act like gun violence is getting worse, when in fact it is improving.

1 Like

You are wasting your time with this poor guy, he loves to oppose any sensible approach to gun control. He goes around the bushes with “oh well, lookit here!”.

Just check at his statement : Gun violence is getting better. Yeah, by his own party, administration holding the record on a mass shooting. Eat that!

He enjoys seeing our kids massacred. He enjoys seeing innocent people killed “if” they are committing a crime so pity it makes you wonder why you have to die by holding a phone in your hands.

You got to be a psychopath, and a Narcissist to not have remorse, no empathy for the kids getting mental problems by fearing to die like fish in a barrel at school.

He just wants to win a debate, he is not here to debate with some empathy or heart in his words. As I said before, I pity anybody nearby this person. Oh boy! What a horrible life trying to start a conversation.

Notice knives and other guns (everything except handguns) are almost equal.

1 Like

The innocent guy:

“Despite his youth, Clark had an extensive criminal history, including two felony counts of domestic abuse, robbery, firearm possession, and possession of a controlled substance.”