Hmm, What Is Apple Doing?

/Self promotion
I make a secret call to Steve Job about gold is of great significance to Chinese and Indians. Now iPhone has gold color.
/endSelf promotion

Are you a medium? :rofl:

So you are saying you hate a good story that involves industry icons Steve Jobs and Andy Grove.

Just amazed that there are people who think they are so important.

Most common retracement is 38.2%-61.8%. Let’s :pray: retracement is over :dog:

It is over on Dec 24th S&P 500 reaching bottom. Going forward, all company results will provide value with low price like now. There may be fluctuation like normal market. See the changes from Jan 2 onwards until Mar middle.

Here is the 50 & 200 days high/low for AAPL

200 Days=>5/12/2016 L=>90.339996 Days=>28 %=>19.41 S Days=>444 S%=>32.08
	50 Days=>10/25/2016 H=>118.25 Days=>166 %=>30.89 Appreciated
	50 Days=>5/12/2017 H=>156.100006 Days=>199 %=>32.01 Appreciated
	50 Days=>2/8/2018 L=>155.149994 Days=>471 %=>31.21 Appreciated
	50 Days=>4/27/2018 L=>162.320007 Days=>78 %=>4.62 Appreciated
200 Days=>10/3/2018 H=>232.070007 Days=>237 %=>49.58 Appreciated S Days=>874 S%=>156.89
200 Days=>12/24/2018 L=>146.830002 Days=>82 %=>36.73 S Days=>82 S%=>36.73

I have always against buyback for the reasons quoted in the article. However, the article’s aim is to dramatize. The author didn’t know the average buying price, merely state the decline in worth. Those $222 is probably compensating dilution from ESPPs and/or RSUs.

2 Likes

Both state Magazine (and wsj) are not providing the real benefits of buyback. There are plenty of benefits
Buybacks work like dividend payment, increasing the returns as share price increase with reduction in float.

Apple is sitting with huge pile of cash and keeping that cash in Treasury returns 2.x%. If the same is invested in apple shares, they get 11% return instead of 2.x%. Say, if Apple buyback all shares from the market and goes private, all the profits are going back to company. It will be a return of 11% at $157 price.

Apple buybacks its own shares from the market, that helps the existing share holders.

The market price drop recent times will help the company now. How? Apple would have buy back shares at its lowest price now. They have board approved 71 Billion (100B - 29B) cash ready to buyback shares after Q4 results.

This means there will be big buyback would (IMO) happened now which will be known by this first quarter results. Companies like Apple buyback shares at its lowest price time (they also time the market)

Read the 10-Q report (Page 34). Here is the part.

Capital Return Program

During 2018, the Company repurchased 405.5 million shares of its common stock for $73.1 billion in connection with two separate share repurchase programs. Of the $73.1 billion, $44.0 billion was repurchased under the Company’s previous share repurchase program of up to $210 billion, thereby completing that program. On May 1, 2018, the Company announced the Board of Directors had authorized a new program to repurchase up to $100 billion of the Company’s common stock. The remaining $29.0 billion repurchased during 2018 was in connection with the new share repurchase program.The Company’s new share repurchase program does not obligate it to acquire any specific number of shares. Under this program, shares may be repurchased in privately negotiated and/or open market transactions, including under plans complying with Rule 10b5-1 under the Exchange Act.

On May 1, 2018, the Company also announced the Board of Directors raised the Company’s quarterly cash dividend from $0.63 to $0.73 per share, beginning with the dividend paid during the third quarter of 2018. The Company intends to increase its dividend on an annual basis, subject to declaration by the Board of Directors. The Company plans to use current cash and cash generated from ongoing operating activities to fund its share repurchase program and quarterly cash dividend.

Bear alert! They will be out in full force now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/02/apple-warns-on-q1-results.html

1 Like

“In fact, most of our revenue shortfall to our guidance, and over 100 percent of our year-over-year worldwide revenue decline, occurred in Greater China across iPhone, Mac and iPad.”

Either Apple suddenly became uncool in China or the Chinese economy hit a brick wall. Given the manufacturing data was bad, it appears their economy is hitting a wall.

1 Like

China ban was major issue they say in Bloomberg!
They have 20% sale at China which would have affected.

Trading halted at after hours exchange for around 30-60 mins

No brick wall. Chinese are boycotting iPhones because of Huawei arrest. I have been posting articles on those boycotts for a month now.

1 Like

Apple says the data shows industry wide smart phone slowdown in China.

Apple dropped 8% now

Before Apple stopped reporting iPhone sales numbers, it was the only major company to report phone sales numbers. Now that it has stopped nobody reports phone sales numbers. Where does this industry number come from?

China’s economy is slowing down, yes. Did it hit a brick wall? Can you call an economy growing at 6.5% as hitting a wall? I don’t think so.

Carriers don’t report new phone activations? There are lots of sources of industry data.

How do they even measure it with all the shadow banking?

Thank you whoever started the tariff war and the uncalled for arrest of CFO.

1 Like

Carriers reporting phone activations are public for all to see. How come nobody saw this coming? No news stories of cratering phone sales in China?

If you want to say China’s stats are bogus, sure, but why get excited over a slower PMI? Isn’t it also stats from the Chinese government? Pick and choose stats you like?

In fact, i welcome this as I plan to buy some AAPL tomorrow in my new Roth money tomorrow!

I will also buy some calls too like I did with TSLA today!

It is timely drop😂