Trump’s base may be eroding. Just one pollster though. Need more confirmation.
This might have been ok as a stunt, but combine it with his behavior on Tuesday… I logged in to FB to find a staunch Trump supporter saying how disappointed he was with the debates… Overall, this whole thing is going downhill. Maaaaybe things will start looking up if people think they’re actually voting for Pence for pres.
So here’s the question: Any reasonable third party candidates to vote for?
Vote the policies, not the people. That’s what I’ve always done.
Third party is throwning your vote away.
Agreed, but
a) I’m not happy with either candidate so I don’t care whether they get the popular vote
b) My vote is completely irrelevant in CA when it comes to electoral college votes
c) I reallly think things would go better in politics if 3rd party candidates were taken more seriously. Thus the thought of voting third party to encourage people to take them more seriously (which no one does because no one ever votes for them because no one thinks anyone else will)
The same thing could be said for Kim Jong-un or Putin. Sometimes one has to choose between keeping up appearances and the truth. It’s one thing to deceive the enemy in war, another to deceive the citizens you represent in the middle of an election.
Politics is not always about voting. If you can convince people of policies ( and hence to vote differently), you have already cast several votes.
THen isn’t a third party vote for policies that I really like better then than casting a vote for the major runners who I don’t align as well with? Especially if I’m not swaying that election anyways?
My impression of a third party candidates is that of person who could not take the established party along and therefore tries to contest outside. Not a bad thing. But, the problem is that a person who could not convince the party that he is closer to (between the two) is unlikely to convince larger voting population. At the end it boils down to timing and the messaging. That is why I know many people who only focus on policies, and not on electoral process as much. But, then you need skills to (and need to ) win elections. That is why there is a constant tussle between pure ideologues and those expert in getting people elected. Sometime even when a candidate is right, the time is not on his side. Think of Ross Perot. But, most of the third party candidates are generally statement makers, and those who want to collect some fund in their kitty.
This is the whole point–I REALLY want independent candidates to be more viable and taken more seriously. And the only reason they’re not is that everyone else is afraid that they won’t be. I know a lot of people that say they are libertarians but are afraid of not trying to sway the vote between the two major parties.
Reminds me of this clip: (Go to 1:03 - 1:35)
Policy is bullshit. Candidates run for their ego, money and power. Their platform or policies are window dressing. Mean little in Washington, even if they actually believed in their policies. It comes down to who is an effective leader and what realistically can be done. I wouldn’t expect much from the two clowns we have to chose from.
Trump is winning on America First policy. I know winnability plays a role. But, is the policy a bullshit? I do not think so.
Trump has reduced the corporate tax policy to average of worldwide rate among developed nations.
This makes a boost to USA economy and it has to continue a decade so that we will realize the booming economy.
Biden is on the opposite side raising the corporate tax, which is detrimental to growth.
I personally weigh this as a major change to USA economy. It has to continue another 4 years.
Couldn’t disagree more. Trump is a lightening rod because he did exactly what he said when was going to do. And effective leaders can be nightmares if they are effective at accomplishing all the wrong things. Hugo Chavez was an effective leader.
Not only that but raising it back wouldn’t even lower the deficit. All it would do is cut dividends which are first taxed at 15% and then taxed again and again as they are spent into the economy. This is one reason revenues rose instead of falling when Trump cut the rate.
I’m 100% with Elt on this. I probably agree with Trump on 30–40% of policy. Biden…about the same. But Trump is a megalomaniac, lies without a hint of guilt, and has worse judgment than a hormonal 16 year old male going through puberty. The choice could not be clearer.
Wow we agree on something. Basically nothing will done in Washington because politicians don’t go there to fix things. We have a huge divide in this country.
The left and right live in different universes.
Like Rodney King said. Can’t we just get along?
The below is from a Texas woman.
The difference between me and a lot of my Democratic friends…You see Trump’s arrogance, I see Trump’s confidence. You see Trump’s nationalism, I see Trump’s patriotism. You hear Trump’s unsophisticated words, I hear Trump’s honesty. You see Trump’s racism, I see Trump’s words being misconstrued and twisted by the media daily to fit their narrative. You see Trump as a Republican, I see Trump as a Patriot. You see Trump as a dictator, I see Trump as a leader. You see Trump as an Authoritarian, I see Trump as the only one willing to fight for our freedoms. You see Trump as childish, I see Trump as a fighter, unwilling to cave in to the lies. You see Trump as an unpolished politician, I see Trump as a breath of fresh air. You think Trump hates immigrants, I know Trump is married to an immigrant. You see Trump putting an end to immigration in America, I see Trump welcoming immigrants to America LEGALLY. You see Trump’s cages at the border, I see Obama’s cages at the border. You see Trump with a struggling economy, I see Trump with an amazing economy until the Democrats shut it down. You see the violence in the streets and call it “Trump’s America”, I see the violence in the streets of Democratic run cities who are refusing Trump’s help and call it “Liberal America.” You want someone more Presidential, I’m happy we have someone who finally doesn’t just talk the talk but actually walks the walk. You and I? We see things very differently.
This immigrant is not one of these minorities (Black, non-white hispanics, Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean) ![]()
Trump lies a lot!
I see him as a disruptor
And I am force to adapt! For my age, I just want to cruise to my last days.
Which is pretty amazing. How many other presidents have come through on that many of their campaign promises? He failed at was building a wall along Mexico, but what else?
He failed to drain the swamp. But his immigration policy has worked… no matter who thinks it’s racist, American workers of all races have benefited. I thought he ran mainly to promote his brand. Along with everyone else, Trump was shocked when he won. He hadn’t planned on it didn’t expect it and really didn’t want the job. He loves campaigning but hates the nitty gritty of governance. He doesn’t believe in anything but himself and maybe his fuzzy misguided romantic idea of the 1950s… probably watched The Christmas Story too many times.
Trump is a lightening rod because he did exactly what he said when was going to do.
This makes his base strong !