Impact of election on market

I don’t see Biden mentioning wealth tax at all. FWIW I don’t support wealth tax. All the math I have seen is fuzzy math.

Biden’s position on SALT is also unclear. But we all know Schumer wants the old deduction back in. Here’s the Biden tax plans I found:

  • Raise the top income tax rate back to 39.6% from 37%
  • Tax capital gains and dividends at ordinary rates for those with annual incomes over $1 million
  • Tax unrealized capital gains at death
  • Applying Social Security payroll tax for those earning over $400,000 a year
  • Close stepped-up basis loophole
  • Raise top corporate income tax rate to 28% from 21%
  • Impose 15% minimum tax on book income of large companies (at least $100 million annual net income)
  • Tax profits earned from foreign subsidiaries of U.S. firms 21%

These two will screw up entire US Economy, driving away Corporate Companies out of USA. The whole USA is business economy and Dems have always think “Tax as a solution for all economic issues”. Not only Biden, but also entire Dems are sitting in a branch and cutting the tree !

At least, for proposing these two taxes, I want Biden to be out of race.

2 Likes

Will not fly because in effect VAT is same as flat tax. Dems hate flat tax like plague.

2 Likes

I find this discussion amusing. People want SALT caps to be gone so that they pay less tax. But, to get that they will to vote a candidate who promises to increase taxes on everyone.

3 Likes

This is the worst. Forced liquidations of estates. What a nightmare - and no economic benefit.

2 Likes

Indeed. The most sensible tax as it hits the cash economy and the underground economy. Every pusher, pimp and thief has to pay it. EVERYONE has skin in the game when taxes are raised. GDP is increased as we can now count criminal activity since it is being taxed. Will never happen.

Actually it already does–it’s called search and seizure. :frowning:

Wait, you want legal strippers and prostitutes for all the legislators? Do you think that’ll reduce the sexual harassment of staffers?

Could reduce human trafficking. I put up a link awhile back showing that DC blows away all the states in that category.

There is more to economic policy than mere tax rate. I really don’t get the single minded obsession with tax rate. Here’s a history of corporate tax rate I found on Wikipedia. Are people telling me the American economy has not grown at all since the 19040s?

Clinton last bumped up the corporate tax rate in early 90s and we have one of the longest the expansion in history.

1 Like

When I read the comments from the dem supporters in this thread, i do not get sense they understand how politics and taxation work. If taxation is such a good that why not take it to 100% which will convert United States into forced labor camp (gulug) of the kind seen in Stalinist Soviet Union. It is same as making minimum wages 10000000000000/hr

3 Likes

You’ve got it all figured out. LOL.

No one here is proposing 100% tax. I’m not sure anyone here is even in favor of wealth tax or even major increases in taxes in general?

I do not think you (or any one else) even knows what is the right tax rate to be able to propose anything. Do you?

The income tax rates should be equal for everyone. The original income tax was a flat percent for income above $800/yr.

Amazing the US made it to well over 100 years old and was already the world’s biggest economy before income tax existed. We even had a national railway system. Government spending was less than 5% of GDP unless there was a war. Yeah, now we’ve “evolved” and made “progress”.

3 Likes

Uh no, I do not…and I don’t really have a proposal. I’m not even sure what you are talking about?

I asked what people thought would happen if democrats took control.

Income tax supporters are clueless about the taxes. Like you said tariffs and excise worked well for hundreds of years. If you take a careful look at timelines, you will see creation of income tax, IRS, FED etc are all clustered within a few decades, as if they have been created in a rush.

1 Like

if someone does not have a numerical sense, I do not know how can someone sense the difference between 21% tax rate or 29% tax rate. Much like many people who cannot fathom the enormity of difference between a Billion and a Trillion.

1 Like

Are you saying I don’t have numerical sense? Aren’t you the person who has been holding cash and preaching how markets and real estate are going to crash for more than a year now?

Didn’t you admit that you also missed the earlier rise in the market and real estate over the last five years? I’m trying to understand why anyone should listen to you or care about your perspective?

Where did I do that? Like suggested holding cash or real estate market crashing?

The purpose of taxation is to fund federal, state and local government. The purpose of federal, state and local governments is SUPPOSED to be to provide goods and services that are impractical or impossible to provide through private means. Police, interstate highways, airports and the management thereof, that sort of thing. In many rural areas things like roads, water and fire protection are still provided through voluntary associations with no government involvement.

3 Likes