International News and Events - economic cooperation and competition

Its all moving to the North. just wait bit for Lithium and cobalt powered transportation. you will see the dominance of North.

I stopped respecting Nobel Prize, when Yasir Arafat and Obama got it for peace (which peace did they promote?), or Amartya Sen got it for economics. Some others whom I did not follow must have got the Nobel that were equally bogus. A few years ago they gave it to malala yousafzai and I am sure Greta Thunberg is next.

Canada has a lot of water but who wants to live in a freezer for the good part of the year? Even with lesser water, weather is a lot better in India.

Sure they are. But, I am sure they like the fun-filled life people in the warmer countries enjoy.
People with easy life spend more time in Arts and Philosophy. Almost all religions, philosophies, and even basic of mathematics etc have come from countries where people have easy life. Hard Working people do not have time to think about existence, life, and other esoteric ideas.

A long ago, A classmate of mine even presented a comparison between Northern Europe and Southern Europe - of the cultural differences that are rooted purely in natural endowment - the most important being the weather. People in colder countries struggle with the weather, hence they are tough and hardy. So what?

I have said that already. India does not mind waiting and adopting when technology is proven and cheap. You can make the same argument about cell phone technologies that came from Europe (like GSM etc).

Btw India did propose an improvement to 5G to address the requirements of vast rural areas in India. Those became part of 5G.

It may not be cutting edge, but India has considerable strength in science and technology. A generation behind west probably, but do you have to be at the state of the art?

Other technologies/standards adopted in India over the last 250 years:

1. British Companies thought Broad Gauge will be better for India. So, Indian Railway has one of the widest railway in the world (5 and 1/2 feet). Actually, India had other gauges also, but over the years, they have been re-gauged to be interoperable with rest of IR network. Outside India, SFO Bay area BART uses Indian Gauge. BART train take electricity from Third Rail on the ground, not from overhead wires (as done in India).

2. India has Left hand driving. Another convention coming from British Period

3. 230V/50 Hz electricity is supplied to homes. Probably from British Period.

4. Indian Railway adopted French Standards for Railway electrification ( 25KV AC). Unlike those seen in English countries.

5. PAL TV Transmission (coming from French?), unlike NTSC used in USA and other parts of the world.

6. Switched to Metric System for measurements and weights, and also for currency. It fits better with decimal system, which is an Indian creation anyway.

7. For wireless telephones, it goes by what is developed by Europe or USA. Although for 5G, it was involved in the process of creating the standards.

Usually, the person or the company that starts or brings a new technology gets to choose the standards also. The rest simply adopt or develop around it.

Added Later: I was thinking if any standards or practice came to India from Germany. Except it is the other way round. Hitler appropriated a form of Swastika (and Indian symbol) for Nazi Army. And I am always curious why Hitler tried to build an identity around Aryan Nation. The Indian people identify as Arya. The Indian people suffix word JI by the name when addressing a person with respect. Much like Japanese people add word SAN by the name as mark of respect. The word JI is degeneration of word Arya.

Worldwide semiconductor Supply chain is beholden to risk at Taiwan. Quite interesting to know how many countries are trying to get their feet into semiconductor manufacturing, including Canada and India along with the traditional chip fabricating countries (like US, Korea, Taiwan, Japan etc). Current state of the art is 5 nm. But, soon we will be seeing 3 nm and 2 nm if the fabricators are able to get respectable yields on their plants. I do not know how long will these technology keep shrinking. But, at some point they will hit the physical limit. And that point the technology from different fabs will have very little to differentiate.

According to a recent SIA study titled “Strengthening the Global Semiconductor Supply Chain in An Uncertain Era,” There are more than 50 points across the semiconductor value chain where one region holds more than 65% of the global market share. “These are potential single points of failure that could be disrupted by natural disasters, infrastructure shutdowns, or international conflicts, and may cause severe interruptions in the supply of essential chips,” the report notes. “About 75% of global semiconductor manufacturing capacity, for example, is concentrated in China and East Asia, a region significantly exposed to high seismic activity and geopolitical tensions. In addition, 100% of the world’s most advanced (below 10 nanometers) semiconductor manufacturing capacity is currently located in Taiwan (92%) and South Korea (8%). “

https://www.semiconductor-digest.com/2021/05/13/the-chip-shortage-wake-up-call

Those are in non-scientific categories. even in non-scientific category they have particular view of the world. not all people may agree with it.
but scientific categories over the past 100 years right on the mark.

Canada attract the wealthiest and best people in world. they may not work in factories but surely they have best cities in world.

you are assuming culture only developed in south?. Just check the size of one museum in Saint Peterburg (800 Chinese per hour looking to see it before pandemic) or country of castles aka Germany. even war damaged some history but still much more than anything in South.
If Northern countries havent fought wars among themselves for past several hundreds years. The Northern countries will be even more advanced by several centuries. as only technically advanced and most organized countries can fight the most destructive wars.
Thats why you really need to read the History correctly. Look at Germanic British royal family.
Than look at German/Jewish/Russia scientific contributions that essentially created foundation of English speaking countries. Even French Marie Currie (4 Nobel prizes in Physics and Chemistry for her institute) was of Polish origin at the time between Germany/Russia.
why do you think Israel gives infrastructure contracts to China? because China adopted Germanic standards.

thats the point i am making. unless India become leader in technologies with efficient system of governance and have the same transportation access that Chinese are building to Europe for the rest of RCEP. it has no chance that Europe can rely on it. infact Europe will impose tough environmental conditions as part of any trade deal to ensure that pollution is minimized relative to production.

They are moving to RCEP countries despite much more need in India.

Many of south India identify themselves as Dravidian not aryan.major languages of south India are thamizh, telugu, Kannada, Malayalam and they don’t use Ji. Ji is used only in Hindi speaking states, mostly north.

They constitute less than 18% of the population of India.

The science is also polluted. With garbage like Climate Science and all other.

I do not know which wealthy person gets attracted to Canada, unless someone from China, trying to escape that country for political reasons. Rich people are generally rich only because they are well-entrenched wherever they are. They have very little motivation to emigrate to a foreign land.

I did not say culture developed only in the south. Where there are people, there is culture. But, I am talking about complex ideas and philosophy that takes thousands of years to understand and test. People who live hand to mouth do not think of philosophy. That is a hard reality. If you are working two jobs, you would not even know what is happening in your neighborhood. That is why food, water, and weather are three key ingredients in the evolution of civilization.

China should spend hard-earned money wisely. They should learn from spendings on the great walls or ghost cities.

I remember back in the 1990s lot of Indian programmers arrived in the USA simply because there were not many in the USA who knew COBOL (an outdated programming language by then). So technology should be relevant and I think the Indian government and industry are focused on technology. It is just that they do not do it with a lot of fanfare. Also, efficiency comes by doing what you can do best. And I think most Indian companies do not see themselves as serious competition to American or European companies. So, there is no point in spending money where you are not good. But, Indian companies are putting a very good effort in addressing what is required for Indian markets.

@erth

Going back to India soon?

yes by population but big contributor to the Indian economy

Looks like China’s Belt and Road Initiative ( I do not know why did they not name it Port and Road Initiative) has set some sort of competitive effort.

You really need to read deeply all that Paris climate accord and climate science. Fundamentally it is to punish non-productive nations that consume more than produce… i will leave it to your imagination what is considered non-productive from EU perspective.

Just look at Ukranian diaspora in Canada. there is tremendous wealth in Canada.
This is Russian-Canadian.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/13/business/ethereum-shiba-inu-india-covid-donation/index.html

Chinese has created RCEP and building infrastructure to connect to Europe. so they can afford to splurge.

Hypocrisy of German liberals finally comes to the fore and who can expose it better than Angela Merkel herself. After President Trump exited the Paris Accord and proposed Trans Pacific Partnership, the economic structure global left had envisaged stood fractured. Who else other than American tax payers has pockets deep enough to be exploited by the global left? Anyway, all the claim to allegiance to idea of protecting plant from fossil fuels stands exposed.

With rising doubt over the dollar’s long-term value amid the pandemic, central banks around the world are starting to place more weight on assets in alternative currencies as well as non-monetary options like gold, the report said.**

http://en.people.cn/n3/2021/0512/c90000-9849179.html

Merkel is center right CDU-CSU that is very pro-business but the business is designed from ground up to unite Europe under German leadership. In this model the final physical product integration is done in Germany (so all the trucks and trains from across the Europe enter Germany for input into that final product) and than that huge exported products need to be transported across Europe This has created heatwaves and lack of water in Rhine river.
Trump has excellent relationships with many European leaders and countries but German President use the word Europe for Germany. German president is modern day pope not the one residing in Vatican.

I’m so glad we got rid of the president who was in Russia’s pocket and replaced him. Oh wait…

Situation has completely changed from Trump times. At that time no body knew Covid will do so much damage. Damage to India is also damage to US corporate.
Biden need to leave Europe to Germany so that US can compete with China.
Germany already built pipeline to Czech republic. this will give Germany more centralized control of gas distribution in Europe.