Investing vs Trading

1 Like

It is interesting to see such a list. This was discussed by warren buffet in his conference.

Few things:

1. 14 out of 20 companies survived even after 20 years
  2. Three companies BAC, WMT, XOM are still above 200B list
  3. Infact AIG, BAC survived and multiplied after 2008 bottom
  4. Some companies MO, T, XOM, F, GM are dividend payers, nice returns so far, never know future.

Finally, see my statements - actually which I am planning - Anything deeply corrected, esp top 20 companies, will recover in future

Say, we find a recession bottom. At that time, we can pick up top 20 companies, and buy some LEAP calls (say 2 years). Only thing I need to analyze is that none is going to bankrupt stage in next 2 years.

Since these are top 20, they are the pullers of S&P or Nasdaq, move faster than both S&P & Nasdaq. Just see AAPL & MSFT vs S&P or QQQ, the leaders emerge faster than indexes.

This is what I am aiming as safer growth than holding 20 years.

Anyway, thanks again for thought provoking reply. Such productive discussion is rare from this blog!!

1 Like

I tried that before but my guessing of the bottom is bad, very bad. Instead of the theoretical 10x-30x, I get much less and lost interest. Guess I should try to ride on your algorithm forecast :money_mouth_face:

The strike price is also critical. DITM is safe but won’t get much. Has to be OTM… tricky.

I am also guessing that we may get a circuit breaker. If we get one, I may buy 3 or 4 days after that circuit breaker.

I have not seen a recession ending without a circuit breaker!

I am hoping that I will get that bottom at least 5% above real bottom. On any case, it is not easy task, but doable for me.

Even though I am planning for options, I may not even buy, rather take TQQQ or SOXL or similar.

Practically, trading and growing is hard.

2 Likes

Laughing at it, IMO, Panda is not praying or need not pray with his long years of trading experience, he is just forecasting or prediction. People like Panda would have lot of money (multiples of millions) already, he is just sharing his knowledge, that is all.

Someone posted like this ! It is possible by some methodical way.

Read some of his past posts. He got vested interest and it hurts his ego if he is found to be wrong. Ditto for Puru… not sharing for knowledge or for sharing sake… they are not that noble. Not referring to you :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :hugs:

Puru was a hedgefund manager, and earned some money and moved out of HF now. He is trying to live with his past HF skills, but of late failing his moves like a retail traders. He does not have any special skills at all (IMO).

But Panda is not like that, he has good EW skills, doing everything manually, has an edge in trading by his past 20+ years experience.

The issue with many traders, including me, is change in market dynamics. Market is not simple linear equation, it very complex system, pretty hard to master it and win over it. There is no end to learning curves and many patterns either in fundmentals or technicals.

We are bound to make mistakes very common issue. No one can find a perfect system to win the market they can have some edge over the market. This edge only make them progress.

With this, forget his ego about what went wrong. Pick only the good thing he shares and try to see how much - as individual - we can get benefit.

My algo gave 8th time, we are a peak market - this is direct. I just visited Panda site to reconfirm my findings and he is also saying the same in his own way, that makes me more comfort, took bulk load of SQQQ.

1 Like

View of a trader…

Simplicity of a buy n hold investor…

For common retailers, timing is an issue, can not time it properly, so they are forced to go as buy and hold!

1 Like

Sell winners, buy losers? Is this the new trading paradigm?

Rare Peter Lynch interview…

Stalwarts: AAPL , AMZN, TSLA (Cathy would be unhappy)
Fast Growers: SNOW (@manch takes note), SPOT, CRM
Turnarounds: META, GE, NFLX

Is he still alive?

Warren Buffet is still alive.
Successful investing would appear to be the secret to long life :smiley:

1 Like

Based on cash flow analysis, best stocks are AAPL SP Global, MA and CP.
Using traditional valuation e.g. P/E, AAPL appears to be expensive but is the cheapest of the FANGMANT using cash flow analysis.

It sounds like a great platform for those interested in diving deeper into investing and gaining proper education in the field. With a range of resources and services available, it seems like valuable resource for navigating the investment landscape…

On a related note, if you’re looking for full-service planning for your business, it might be worth exploring their offerings or reaching out to professionals who specialize in that area… They can provide tailored guidance to help ensure your business’s financial strategies align with your goals.

1 Like

Agree. Is better to learn to identify a company run by an outstanding CEO e.g. AAPL :slight_smile: than to teach yourself FA, TA, algorithm, accounting, economic and interpreting Fed.

I am a great believer in 鸡犬升天 :wink:
Chicken and dogs rise to heaven together with the deities.

Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 11.23.00 PM

Most importantly, satisfy yourself that current CEO is outstanding.

1 Like

Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 12.59.23 PM

Because is fun. Well, for those left brainers :slight_smile:

From making money perspective, should stick to a few big winners and forget about the rest. Always own some broad-based index e.g. VOO, QQQ, etc for safety in case you screw up badly with those few stocks. Keep a portfolio of growth stocks for entertainment.

1 Like

Screen Shot 2023-06-16 at 8.05.25 AM

Screen Shot 2023-06-16 at 8.06.32 AM
Screen Shot 2023-06-16 at 8.06.57 AM

Great companies? For example, FANGMANT :slight_smile:

Making money through investing is easy and boring. Trading is fun and entertaining.