Jobs, Jobs, Jobs

I volunteer with Pine/Strawberry Fuel reduction. They have a close partnership with the Forest Service. The bureaucracy and waste of resources there is beyond belief. I could start a thread about it which would be longer than the 'World Class Filth" thread.

1 Like

I tried retiring 5 times. Too boring. Need a reason to get up in the morning.

3 Likes

I hear you. Idle hands, idle mind.

I have a good friend who just retired. 45 years as a waiter. Professional ski bum. Bored as hell. Drinking in the morning. I told his wife I will hire him. Others he will drink himself to death.

I have been idling for 20 years. Seem ok.

2 Likes

Walmart Labs in San Bruno donā€™t get any love?

As part of its new business push, Walmart said Tuesday it would hire more than 5,000 engineers, data scientists and tech experts and turn Toronto and Atlanta into office locations for that global tech team.

I donā€™t like walmart culture but will apply for data science team as mock interview. thanks for the info!

3 Likes

Trying to hire right now is crazy. Itā€™s to the point if a person doesnā€™t have multiple offers, then youā€™re wondering what you missed in the interview.

3 Likes

If Iā€™m not wrong, this job hopping is limited to Managers to ICs only, right?

Thereā€™s just fewer roles available as you go up in level. That leads to less movement. Thereā€™s also less people qualified for those roles, so itā€™s not an issue to move if people want to move.

1 Like

Ugh. The market is moving fast. One of my managers is hiring an IC. The comp expectations of them are same or more than he makes. Heā€™s been with the company 2 years and was recently promoted to manager. Heā€™s realizing his pay bumps which were much better than average still arenā€™t keeping up with the market. Heā€™s going on paternity leave this summer. Iā€™m wondering if heā€™ll actually return or will return and leave just after.

6 Likes

Tell me about it. Weā€™ve made 2 company wide compensation changes and itā€™s still not enough to sway candidates. Iā€™ve folks scheduled to go on sabbaticals and I am starting to get nervous. Iā€™ve an awesome tech lead whoā€™s figured out that newer engineers on the team are earning more than them and I am taking proactive steps to ensure they are well compensated.

4 Likes

Well, how about taking care of yourself? Ensuring yourself is well compensated.

:face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

+1. Trying to close a manager candidate and SWE this week. Offer numbers are off the chart to compete with the market.

3 Likes