Literally and Seriously

An insightful opinion piece on how Trump’s populism is likely to evolve

His conclusion:

But nothing about Trumpian populism to date suggests that it has either the political skill or the popularity required to grind its opposition down. In which case, instead of Putin, the more relevant case study might be former President Mohamed Morsi of Egypt, the Muslim Brotherhood leader whose brief tenure was defined both by chronic self-sabotage and by the active resistance of the Egyptian bureaucracy and intelligentsia, which rendered governance effectively impossible.

The Egyptian deep state’s sabotage of Morsi culminated in a coup. This is not my prediction for the Trump era. But what we’ve watched unfold with refugee policy suggests that chaos and incompetence are much more likely to define this administration than any kind of ruthless strength.

Let’s see how the elites fight back. Just today Trump:

1. Threatened to invade Mexico
  2. Hung up on Australian PM
  3. Said Iran is taking over Iraq in a late-night tweet

These happened in the span of a few hours. Incompetence runs very deep in the Trump admin.

1 Like

He certainly has an unorthodox style…again, i hope to god we survive his term but I am curious to see what he can do. If I see results I could care less about how he got there.

I am trying my best to keep an open mind. I really am. I just worry about the erosion of our civil liberties. So I am wary. Other than that, if he can get rid of rent control hey I am willing to listen. Can we use some fresh thinking? Sure. Just don’t ride roughshod over the Constitution, ok?

The Democrats were taken over by the radical left in 60s and 70s…McGovern and Carter were the consequences. .Bill Clinton saved the party…But thanks to Bernie Sanders, the party headed left again and that along with Hillary’s basic flaws the party failed and helped elect Trump, who would have never won without the support of Midwestern democrats…Yes the radical left is responsible for the Trump victory and many are actually glad he won…They would rather tear the system down that have a corporate Democrat like Hillary…Instead of voting for her in November they would rather protest Trump on the streets…Of course like during the campaign their protests only booster his support. .

Realistically, do I think he is going to get rid of rent control? Probably not. What I like is that we are not going to take it from other countries anymore. Fair is fair. I fully expect us to be who we are, which is the country that generally helps other countries as much or more than anyone else. But, I expect others to step up to the plate more now and put their skin in the game. Again, with all those crazies out there, I have no problem with our Prez wanting to protect Americans first. It is actually refreshing to see our leaders want to actually do that. Our SF Stupidvisors could learn a thing or two from The Donald.

Liberals destroyed our judicial system with legal activism. Our judicial system has been independent from politics for a long time until the liberals ruined it.

How to destroy the liberalism and stop its destruction of American court system? That’s one fundamental problem we need to solve.

Within liberals, which group of people can be easily swayed to the right path?

For example, there’s no inherent reasons for women and LGBTQ to support illegal immigration. They support illegal immigration for the sole reason of winning votes

Not to change the subject, but what the hell happened at Cal last night? I know why, but really, why did the police just sit on their arses while they let essentially anarchists/terrorists destroy part of UC? Crime is happening right in front of your faces and you do NOTHING??? You just gave these crazies some legitimacy in effect. Are you stupid? The law is the law. Enforce it!!!

Everytime the radical left riots, Trump gets a thousand more supporters…

1 Like

What does the freedom of speech mean? If we do not like someone’s viewpoint, can we disallow him to talk?

If a communist comes to give a speech, should people use violent crime to force the cancellation?

If Hitler is alive again, should we disallow him to talk about his views if his talk does not violate the law?

Again, this is stupid. Just like some of the police actions where CLEARLY the person shot was doing or engaging in some crime activity yet we have people protesting that they were shot wrongly. Hello??? Law and order???

The UC Berkeley leadership essentially F’d up once again. Milo should have been allowed his opportunity to speak, period. By not allowing it to happen, your so called Free Speech platform is sinking like the Millennium Tower…

The left hasn’t allowed conservatives to talk on campuses for 40 years, this is hardly news…Forget Mexico, Trump should invade Berkeley. It has been a communist sovereign state for 40 years. Time for repatriation …

What rights has Trump taken away from US citizens?

The Berkeley thing is an embarrassment for our country. Liberals preach open-mindedness, tolerance, etc. We should send them to Syria to hug it out with terrorists. Maybe then they’ll get a clue what we’re up against there. All the people protesting to allow refugees should volunteer to house them.

2 Likes

Liberals haven’t been open minded or tolerant since the sixties radical take over of the left…

1 Like

Liberals preventing free speech on Liberal Educational campuses is a serious problem.

1 Like

Who said the following? Hint: one of your presidents

“We must speak our minds openly, debate our disagreements honestly, but always pursue solidarity.”

“When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice."

Berkeley won’t allow others speak openly, won’t debate honestly, not pursue solidarity. They use violence to shut down discussion and prohibit others to speak.

1 Like

Sure, for his safety it was probably best that Milo did not go on with his speech but if UC Berkeley professes to be Ground Zero on Free Speech then it needs to allow the forum for someone like Milo to speak his mind. We can’t always hear what we want to hear only.

Violent protest is almost always wrong. Saw someone commented on Twitter the #Resistance should do what the South Koreans have done. Make the protests G-rated so entire families with kids can join. The women’s march is a good model. But still not G-rated enough.

Going back to the “literally” theme, Bannon literally said, repeatedly, Islam and China are enemies of the US. Well, Islam is more than a mere national enemy, it’s the enemy of the entire Western civilization according to Bannon.

Be extra vigilant when the Trump admin make bellicose comments on the Middle East and China. Like what Trump tweeted about Iran last night, and then the alt-fact Press Sec backed up with lies:

It now seems the Iran nuclear deal will go down the toilet. There is good chance Iran will do a nuclear bomb. How will Israel react?

The stock market is starting to price in political instability from Trump. The initial euphoria of future tax cuts and gutting regulations is much more subdued now. It’s no longer a “trust me” market. It’s now “show me”.

Iran did test a missed. That’s not good.

Really? You don’t care if people have to die? I’m curious which “results” you are Seekig

Fwiw I believe Obama ruthlessly put America first. Most of what i disagree with him over -drone strikes, not closing Guantanamo, domestic spying and privacy invasions, Are exactly that.

The things he did that may seem to put foreigners first are still things that were ultimately good for America, like eating your broccoli you have to do some things to maintain international standing. Take some refugees so you can get away with your drone strikes. Let in immigrants but mostly he intelligent and prosperous ones. And so on

2 Likes