Secular inflation is here

What? According to Cathie and Elon, gas prices go up is good for EV. Cost of electricity goes up as gas price goes up, is it still good for EV?

2 Likes

This doesn’t even count all the new BNPL debt.

The debt payments as a percent of income graph is amazing. You can see any economic prosperity from mid-90s until the Great Recession was a mirage fueled by consumers taking on more and more debt.

1 Like

Armageddon :face_holding_back_tears: please supply more long range rockets to Urkaine so that war can last longer. We want energy prices to :rocket: to the :crescent_moon: that should help the alternative energy and EV industry, could also incentivize space exploration and boring.

2 Likes

US + Europe loses
Russia wins big time
Look at USD Ruble exchange rate, Biden touted a couple months about Ruble crashing, well that did not age well.
Fed is at the center of this crisis with the Left and WH.
Finally 30 year rates are crossing 6% and will hit 8% by Sep.
Common people will suffer the most, with rising costs and now layoffs, no bonus.
I will not even feel bad if RE crashes by at least 50% in Bay Area by end of year. Its a historic bubble anyway. I will suffer too.
And Nasdaq down to pre pandemic levels (which is still in bubble territory)

What metrics are you using to define SV RE and NASDAQ as bubbles?

Sure?

Breaded chicken from Costco. Pretty sure 1 year back it was @$14 for a bag of 4lb. Today $22.

1 Like

Haha, do you need one? Shitty homes, old shacks that I will not even step in going for 2-3M at 8% mortgage rate, REALLY. If that is not a mega bubble, not sure what is. Specially when net wages are falling, stocks are falling, layoffs are beginning, startups are shutting down, bankruptcies are beginning, slow but steady exodus of population, and little to no immigration. Plus most tech companies do not make any money and many who do will soon not.

All these are correct and happens with all past recessions, but you are expecting real estate (esp strong value BARE) like stocks.

Remember, RE is like bond and they are not stocks. RE also hedge against inflation, being kind of bond, raises value when inflation creeps.

For Bay Area, the biggest hit was tech boom - dot.com crash - nasdaq nosedived heavily, companies foreclosed, mass lay off, mass exodus out of SFBA happened, but RE corrected appx 10%-12% (IIRC) on median price.

Only 2008-2011 real estate downturn, we have seen 40%-50% as that root cause was sub-prime loan.

The current one impact on RE will be (IMO) less compared to stocks. I do not guess how much median price change will happen, but definitely not to the scale you expect/think.

Anyway, It is a long wait to see price getting reduced in real estate as they behave like BONDs.

3 Likes

Your metric is your opinion. Got it. It must suck to live in a world that negative.

Have you noticed that bonds have already fallen 15% and will fall another 15% as rates rise. Haha…

RE was not in crazy bubble territory back then.

I will lose but will be fine. I think all rich will be fine. Poor and middle class will suffer and that does bother me.

How does it impact those people? The middle class and poor don’t own enough in stocks for a drop to matter to them. They aren’t RE investors. They are already locked into low mortgage rates and prop 13 property tax protection. If RE drops 50%, they don’t need to sell and move. The biggest potential impact is layoffs, and that’s not happen in middle class and lower income jobs. Those people are getting huge pay increases, and there’s still tons of competition.

2 Likes

Its the inflation that hurts them which is caused by artificially low interest rate and QE. Now that’s gonna be reversed which will crush stocks and RE which should help bring down inflation and RE cost and rent.

It seems your real estate hate hides the reality from you. IMO, If you do not own a home by now, you will never buy in bay area in future too as you are permanently priced out.

Bonds are not hedge against inflation, but real estate (asset category) is hedge against inflation. When inflation, all assets like Real estate also increases along with inflation. Bonds fallen 15%, but inflation raised 8.6%, you will see the difference.

Just remember this: RE impact will be low at cash rich places as the owners can withstand financial pressure. Heavy impacts will be seen where owners can not home homes without a pay check, means people live paycheck to paycheck. Job loss is a major impact at those areas.

BARE was always like this last 25 years except year 2008-2011!

Tech Stocks were crazier in dot com era. You see 733% jump on IPO day !

2 Likes

I was actually surprised at today’s data. My admittedly anecdotal impression was that prices, while not easing, had started to stabilize. I expect acceleration in inflation in the Fall as recent crude price rises have yet to be priced in and the things like exploding grain and fertilizer costs have yet to fully hit food prices. It will certainly be an interesting year.
My real estate curse is that I don’t want to be a landlord and can only live happy in places that tend not to appreciate. The blessing is that lower values do nothing but decrease my property taxes :slight_smile: Will be interesting to see what effect if any increased costs will have on dividend payouts. Can prices be raised enough to compensate without killing demand? Dividends rising at or preferably above the rate of inflation are really all I care about. I don’t fund my retirement by realizing capital gains.

Lol.

Maybe they don’t drill more since one of the first things he did was ban new drilling leases on federal land. Then his administration tried to implement a social cost of carbon formula. He stopped the keystone pipeline. He’s been very anti oil. When voters get angry about gas prices, he’s quick to blame oil companies for not drilling more. He’s literally spent his entire administration trying to obstruct drilling. My only question is:

1. Is Biden really that dumb?
  2. Does Biden believe voters are that dumb?

It’s clearly one of the two.

2 Likes

Apparently

“My fellow Americans, it should be very clear at this point, neither I nor my fellow Demorats, have the slightest
idea what to do about this problem. With that said, the wife and I are returning to Delaware this afternoon, for
the bazillionth time. God Bless George Soros. Thank you.” President Bumblephuk

1 Like