Silicon Valley Bank

Sorry, wrong. Basically the whole life sciences start up industry uses SVB. Most new drugs these days originate at start ups rather than large pharma, especially new mechanisms/first in class. Read “For Blood and Money” then tell us there’s no societal progress coming from modern start ups. Nevermind Moderna’s covid vaccine…

2 Likes

“Increasingly” doesn’t mean “all”. You have quoted some useful ones.

@manch,

If you want to be seen to be knowledgeable, you should talk like @DH0, quote something concrete, not repeat some well known generic practice e.g. “Just do it”, “tolerate failure”, etc. Or argue why OpenSea is of value. Btw, in the original post, I use “certain bloggers” and I didn’t…

You should write like @DH0. Have concrete arguments so we can have rational discussion.

This kind of making unfounded insinuations on people’s intentions is what I was talking about. Personal attacks don’t push arguments forward.

Re your point on OpenSea, it was only founded in 2017. People made fun of NFT as just monkey jpegs, but the concept of NFT is really profound, even though its current applications look trivial. Give it some time. I was about to give you some examples of companies whose early products were toys, including your favorite company, but then I remember you must already know them all.

:rofl:

Btw, I believe in NFTs :grinning: I am saying OpenSea, not NFT. This is the type of response that lack understanding and subtleness that is annoying.

Since you deny you’re doing that consciously (which could be true), I will apologize.

I am tired of repeating myself. If you don’t know which response is vs which of your response, I will rest my case. No point continuing.

The Swiss’ casual wipeout of CS bond holders have some unintended consequences.

Overall the financial markets are so interconnected no one can be 100% sure of any action’s full consequences. There are simply too many unknown unknowns.

Fed should pause on Wednesday and take it slow, at least for the next month or two. JPow will look like an idiot and Fed would lose all its credibility if more things break unexpectedly and they are forced to do emergency rate cuts after just having raised it. 25bps on Wednesday is not going to make or break inflation either way. The more important thing is NOT to have things break even more.

1 Like

Failure to enact a planned rate increase will signal that they are panicked and have lost control of the situation. This will increase public panic.

No, it won’t now as market is expecting rate pause eagerly.

First Republic is halted. Down 30%.

Things are still broken. First priority should be not to break more things.

That’s after big banks injected $30B. We simply don’t have a good handle on what will break and how. Fed should take it easy and not get obsessed with 25bps here and there.

the problem is if they dont raise, people may know the king is naked.

1 Like

The issue may be with the wild investments FRC have. The FRC team is silently trying to sell the company or assets or dilute the shares to avoid some kind of bankruptcy. This is not right for FRC holders. If they are linked to crypto assets, sure to fail again. Several rumors are there, but wall street may be knowing the details.

Luckily came out last week profitably when it hit 95%, not entering again.

1 Like

First Republic cut in half today. Shit is still broken.

This is just playing games. Why should the biggest economy in the world rely on private businesses to save us from financial ruin? What’s stopping Yellen and JPow to provide a short term guarantee for unlimited deposits in all banks? It would stop all the bank runs immediately and won’t cost taxpayers a single dime.

1 Like

The Swiss were pretty direct.

:rofl:

WTF? They will only act after the fire is out of control? Honestly don’t see any benefits in waiting.

I suspect even if the Biden admin goes thru with FDIC infinity, we may still have other unforeseen problems in the financial system. The root cause is the Fed’s unprecedented rate hiking speed. The damage is still there and the world is sitting on trillions worth of seriously underwater bonds. It’s like squeezing a balloon. The air just goes to another spot.

My 2 cents.

FED is custodian of Treasury accounts, very high-level supervision of banks, operations.

Normally, FED and Treasury (govt offices/employees) won’t go through the hassles of private banking operations, but they facilitate the discussions and help them recover.

“short term guarantee for unlimited deposits” => Banks error or mismanagement or some other issues…etc many issues, they won’t guarantee unlimited.

The Big Short guy posted this chart but later deleted it. Looks like a fun chart. May need to start paying attention to CMA.

2 Likes

Months ago, maybe a year, I posted wondering what would happen to banks sitting on all that 3% paper when rates finally rose which was inevitable with all the massive money printing going on.

I need to learn that when something seems obvious but just can’t be or the whole world would take notice it may actually be for real. Like all the “liar loans”" I was hearing about in 2007. If I’d acted on either thought I’d be disgustedly rich. Lesson finally learned. To paraphrase Yoda “the stupid is strong” in today’s society.

4 Likes