Silicon Valley Is Still The Place To Be

I never insult anybody who likes San Tung. Heck, I think I even took pain to hold back a little in my post. :slight_smile:

To me no Chinese menu is off putting. Yes, I read and speak English alright. But itā€™s unsettling on the authenticity scale. I donā€™t speak Korean or Arabic. But if I went to a Korean restaurant or a Middle Eastern restaurant and I donā€™t see some Korean or Arabic language stuff I worry.

I mostly just felt sad I can never go back to East Lake as much as I used toā€¦ :sob:

Look, you just stick to your Dennyā€™s that fine gourmet foodā€¦ the rest of us will suffer at the San Tungā€™s of the worldā€¦

1 Like

NYT said good things about the Vietnamese restaurant next door to San Tung. So I may give it a try. No more San Tung for me!

Yes, Yummy Yummy next door is not bad. I found it to be a tad expensive for what it is. Personally, I would say Kevinā€™s Noodle House (on Irving) is probably the best overall pho place around SF anyway.

When I get a chance, I will hit up your Chinese place in San Hoā€¦ my Big Bro said it is good so I aint worriedā€¦

Tell your bro their yellow feather chicken congee is the best. Has to be yellow feather.

Howā€™s their sweet and sour pork???:slight_smile:

Avoid.

Mountain View streets about to get a tad more busyā€¦

1 Like

Every car manufacturers are into self-driving cars :grinning:
Every Fortune 500 companies are into AI/ Machine Learning :grin:
Landlords would have another 15 good years :smiley:

I bet AR/VR will become mainstream way before self-driving cars. iPhone is 2-3 years away from being powerful enough to drive VR.

We also have bitcoin/blockchain tech waiting to disrupt financial firms.

Yes, we have them all. :smiley:

1 Like

I would be wearing a pair of audio earrings (Air Pods), and video epaulettes (Light Pods). Iā€™m game to wear a headband that gave me power like Su Wu Kong. Currently wearing an Apple Watch :grinning: with a linked bracelet. Would wear a linked vest if it makes me move faster.

Youā€™re the biggest Apple fanboy in the valley! :apple:

Dude does have a pointā€¦

You donā€™t have to invent something completely new to make money. Thereā€™s always a risk that there wonā€™t be a market for it, or youā€™ll be too early for the market. If you improve something existing, then you know exactly how big the market is. I think older companies get pretty stale, so itā€™s pretty easy to disrupt them and take market share.

That dude is an idiot. In the real world progress is made one tiny step at a time. If you want big inventions go to the labs at Berkeley, Stanford and MIT. Silicon Valley is not about making scientific inventions. Itā€™s about combining capital, business models and market-ready tech to make insanely profitable businesses. After all, Facebook was just a website.

He is making an observation, no more, no less. To say that this dude is an idiot when he surely has done fairly huge deals is not exactly fair. It is one thing, when media reporters or prognosticators who literally have done squat, try to preach that they are the word of God but this guy is credible.

And just to throw in an analogy. Arenā€™t we all sick and tired of retreaded or remade movies? Come on, how hard is it to think of a story that is interesting? My god, The Magnificent 7 is wowing it at the box officeā€¦ unbelieveableā€¦

Bottom line: Yes, I am all for making something new that has never been done before!!!

1 Like

Donā€™t forget in the 18th-19th century the guy in charge of the patent office said ā€œletā€™s close this office, thereā€™s nothing to invent anymoreā€ā€¦:laughing:

I would be cautious. Inventing never stops, but there are times when a small invention brings another bunch of small ideas that together create the next big thing, like TV did, like computers did. But in between those big events, there are times where you can hear the drop of a pin. Those are the times you should worry about. Are we in the peak of the invention season?

I generally have very low opinion of VCā€™s. The quality, and thus performance, of VC firms follow a very steep exponential curve. About 10 firms know what they are doing and monopolize most of the returns, the rest are me-too fools who get rich by swindling their partnersā€™ money.

Silicon Valley is not the place to look for big ticket inventions. You need to go to universities for those. We have tons and tons of innovations though. These are small step refinements year over year. Compound over many years you have eye-watering progress. Examples include the Intel CPU performance in the 80s and 90s, and Appleā€™s iPhone performance in the last 10 years. There are no ā€œwow look at me!ā€ big inventions, just relentless refinements of processes.

We get it, you canā€™t just decide to invent something today. You are correct, research heavy universities like UCLA make a ton. God, 500M baby!!! That keeps the university with the hottest coeds on the cutting edge!!!

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-ucla-drug-royalties-20160304-story.html

Did you just say UCLA has the hottest coeds??? :thinking: Because my pal from USC would beg to differā€¦