So, Was Helsinki Really That Bad?

Why is it considered politically correct to condemn ill considered and damaging behavior by someone? Trump supporters would have a lot more credibility if they didn’t exhibit cult like behavior where their god can do no wrong. When you have lost most of your hard core supporters in the last 24 hours like what just happened, I would encourage doing some critical thinking. You can be conservative/ republican without being pro trump.

2 Likes

Between Weinstein’s strict rent control and Trump, I think people would still choose Trump. His big mouth is nothing compared with property confiscation.

Are you for or against Prop 10?

There is more to life than rent control. If you are so worried just sell everything.

1 Like

Even if I sell everything, I would still be deeply concerned about the extreme rental housing shortage this strict rent control will bring to the next generation. This is more than profit and loss, it’s 1000 times more important than this thread, which is trivial spat that has only 24 hours of sentimental impact

Don’t deflect. You can be against prop 10 and Trump. It is also false equivalency to equate the 2.

It’s also more then 24 hours of bullshit. In the past week trump has blown up decades old alliances, undid long long work on soft power, kissed up and raised someone that attacked this country. We will be paying for this damage for years to come.

1 Like

While this moron is blowing up everything and pissing off our allies they have made the decision to leave us behind and go on on their own

We are destroying our economic and soft power because a compromised incompetent is in power

1 Like

We have seen plenty of these on the media. Maybe he is indeed 1000% the worst garbage in the universe since the start of human history, but he did manage to win and become your president. And there is a 50%+ chance he’ll stay your president for the second term.

I’m a moderate liberal, still to the left of Clintons today. Used to be more liberal but adjusted to the middle after understanding more about SF. Not a fan of Trump and paid less attention to him than many of you guys. Didn’t read too much of the media so might have a lesser degree of brain washing.

Many stuff is more complex and deeper than you think. Media coverage is shallow and sometimes biased. I would rather not have a strong opinion on things I lack a good access to real information. Mass media’s daily news is not a good source of information to form a solid opinion. I would rather read history books. I don’t have an opinion on him yet, may start to form an opinion in 2024.

@BAGB, I share your concern about Prop 10 but I am not sure if it’s catastrophic. May be you can educate me. I thought that San Jose’s current rent control (even if it gets expanded to SFHs) is not so bad since (i) It allows rent to return to market value when tenants vacate (ii) you can increase upto 5% every year. Other cities may have similar versions if CH gets repealed. Is that a major problem?

1 Like

We spend more than the rest of NATO combined. They aren’t spending their promised amount. Should we just be quiet and thank them for being in NATO? What about Germany backing a pipeline to buy natural gas from Russia? Isn’t Russia supposed to be an enemy of NATO? Should we not publicly say anything?

Our trade has been disadvantaged for decades. Other countries either have tariffs on items where we have none, or they have higher ones.

People love to get all worked up over how illegals are treated. What about workers in sweat shops in other countries? Child labor still exists, and we willingly buy goods from those counties. If want to champion human rights, shouldn’t we stop buying from them? Of course then Americans would have to pay more for useless crap we buy. We can’t have that. Both parties have been complicit in it.

Yes, things could be handled with more grace, but it’s about time we have someone addressing it. I think the conversations will be uncomforable no matter what. I wish he’d take on the labor and human rights issue.

Prop 10 will remove vacancy decontrol. So if Prop 10 passes, you will not be allowed to charge market rent forever. Without vacancy decontrol, it makes no difference whether the tenants moves or not.

5% was at risk last year and was narrowly protected after hard batttles. SF used to allow 8% I think, and it’s now 60% of CPI. I think it’s inevitable for SJ to go to 60% of CPI cap.

I think it’s better to understand more about prop 10 and rent control history instead of reading too much media about things we have no way to verify. Propaganda can exist theoretically

2 Likes

when trump got elected, ppl say he will crash stock market/housing market everything, put lgbt whatever in camp, KKK
Now after a year, all these trump policy brings in economic boom and while people an enjoying , benefiting from it. Still whatever media say, they panic and this guy did this, this will happen
you know maybe, time will tell.

Russia, collusion, Don’t our country have a LEGAL system? put everyone in court including trump. Don’t just talk and say we have 100% confident evidence. Just do it. I personally would love to see trump went down and crash the market. Volatility creates opportunity to make money. I don’t really care long term United States since I’ll be moving back(one simple reason is health care/medical cost is unaffordable).

2 Likes

@BAGB, please look at the first comment in this post. Is he wrong in his points about the effects of rent control?

Rent control of vacant units destroyed Berkeley. It went from the most desirable BA community to a pariah.
Rent control of new construction will end the creation of new rental units… Prop 10 and the Democrats are insane. Even Newsom knows that.

Russia offered to let us question the 12 people charged in Russia. Their one condition was they could question the investigators. People acted like Putin launched a nuclear missile at us. The entire US legal system is based on being able to see all evidence collected and confront your accuser. I’ve read the 25 page doc that was made public. It’s a fluff piece.

That should be spelled out. CPI was in the mid 1% most of last year and is high 2% range now. You could raise the rent once a year by… drumroll… maybe…1.5%

Meanwhile property taxes are guaranteed to increase by 2%, bonds get added, water bill increased over 20% recently due to too much water saving, garbage and other city services easily get hiked 10% a year. Oh, and if you have an adjustable mortgage, that also rose from 4% to 6% (approximately) … a 50% increase… ouch

I think that the push for rent control also presents a buying opportunity. Landlords need to learn how to deal with the new situation.

Surely some SFR rentals will be listed and become owner occupied. Increased inventory… damper on sale prices. Not the end of the world.

Ultimately activists cannot overpower market forces. People want to live in coastal CA and a repeal of CH will kill all MF construction projects. Just the possibility already makes developers and construction lenders think twice.

So, the existing units become more valuable.

1 Like

you are reading too much. People just read headline, watch video from media instead of reading thru the whole thing and watch the whole video. whoever say they have solid evidence, that’s it. No need to put anything up to court to prove the evidence is evidence. I thought only communist country declare guilty before trial, and united states is innocent until proven guilty.

1 Like

There are many ramifications from rent control. Basically it turns the temporary rental property shortage into a permanent phenomenon, make the rental shortage much worse.

There are different form of rent control. The nightmare rent control policy is Proposition 10 which forbids vacancy decontrol, have rent control on all property types including new and old, multi- family and single family.

When you have a housing shortage, it’s a problem of demand and supply. Rent control seeks to use price control to protect current renters at the expense of other renters and future generation renters. But the housing shortage is still there. It just picks the existing tenant as the winning class and makes it extremely difficult for future tenants and relocating tenants.

The effect will be extreme housing shortage for renters.

1. Single family houses and condos will eventually leave rental market when it becomes vacant or when rent becomes too low. Owners will sell to homebuyers instead. And new buyer will not be foolish enough to rent it out at low rent, or a rent he will never be able to change to market.

2. Builders will stop building rental apartment. So total number of rental units will only go down even when population continues to increase. Theoretically rental housing will become zero after several generations when the rental housing is out of its lifetime. When that happens, you will have to buy a home or be homeless.

So the strict form of rent control will eventually make the rental housing disappear and nobody could move around easily because you need to buy a house to live or live in the hotel for life if hotel is exempt from rent control.

Suprem Court allowed rent control to be used as a policy tool to avoid price gouging during emergencies such as war and Santa Rosa wild fire. But once the genie is out of the box, it just turns into a permanent policy. And Prop 10 is seeking to make it not only permanent, but extremely strict and harsh, which will make rental housing extinct in several generations if it’s allowed to stay.

1 Like

I think you are underestimating the vacancy decontrol. If you can never raise the rent to market, property value will be destroyed. Especially the multi family value will be destroyed. Your only hope would be the house be destroyed by earthquake and you are allowed to build condos instead of apartments. After many years, the building will be of negative value due to low rent and tenant protection which forbids you from evictions. Land value can still be very lucrative if you can get the tenant out.

Single family can still have hope. When the tenant moves (can be very hard since rental shortage will be severe) or passes away, you can sell the house to buyers.

The rent control discussion, especially the draconian version on the ballot here in Santa Cruz, reminds me actually a lot of Donald Trump (to come back to OP).

From the start of the Republican primaries, I knew from the beginning that DT would prevail.

It is similar with voters now. Substance and facts don’t matter. Trump like political activists post what the majority wants to read (MAGA, lower rents).

And they got/ will get the votes.

And you know who’s hurting from Trump’s tariffs? Right, his supporters. California democrats aren’t hurting. SALT deduction? I am sure you found a workaround already.

I expect the same in 12 to 18 months for MF landlords. I own a few. I am not worried. But you are welcome to panic sell.

2 Likes

You need to pay state income tax :grinning: