We Are in Bear Market

Why invest in that when there’s fang, ant, and bat.

1 Like

He’s the Oracle and you are not. :smile:

Didn’t add to much Apple? Darn!

https://www.dataroma.com/m/holdings.php?m=BRK

Already more than 25% of the portfolio!

1 Like

Did WB know something that we don’t know? Ain’t many companies are dumping Oracle (both ERP and databases? The trend is to use the new sexy big data (e.g. Hadoop & Cassandra) and OODBMS on top of propriety RDBMS/ open source databases such as MySQL… techies, please verify my statement.

1 Like

First, All I know is that Oracle corp itself transforming into cloud platform. They took over netsuite - a cloud based company. In fact, Larry Ellison owned 40% of that company pre-takeover.

Second, many start-ups are going out of oracle ERP or Sap ERP by the heavy licensing cost. Now, oracle is going to compete with many other companies on cloud technology and going to host cloud system and service based cloud systems. They are big time giving heavy discounts to current and new customers to go cloud+service platform.

Third, new sexy big data (e.g. Hadoop & Cassandra) are for different reasons/utilization, but unlikely be used in ERP/Financial application. Oracle Core is Financial ERP which is difficult to get out once implemented. Recently, Amazon tried (seems to supply chain, but not ERP - I am not sure), but succeeded too. But, it is really hard to take such decision.

On any case, Oracle was in limelight during dot.com, but now they are not so visible. The transformation may provide them better future (I hope). The only issue I see is that Oracle’s Profit Margin is not so attractive like AAPL or FB.

Did WB know something that we don’t know? ==> I was really shocked to know this today, thinking exactly same! May be the team knows some inside information or They wanted to penetrate into tech market (next to AAPL) with well known figure like Larry Ellison. It is the sign of new comers, inside Berkshire, I guess.

2 Likes

Oracle stopped reporting cloud unit sales separately. They were bragging about the growth in cloud. Their cloud growth has really slowed, so they are hiding that by not reporting it separately.

All startups are not ready to pay Millions dollars for any ERP implementation, but ready to take any cloud service and subscription model. This becomes recurring revenue. They are changing towards it as this is their survival issue.

Hiding may be strategical like Apple stopped reporting on unit sales. but they heavily discount on cloud sales as they need to compete with CRM, WDAY…etc. They plan to cloud hosting too so that service revenue increases.

1 Like

Good reversal today. I see things stabilizing.

Mortgage financing/refinance reduction impact.

A tech turnaround may hinge on this beaten-up group of stocks — and it’s not FANG

“You could have some semiconductor stocks go up double and triple from where they are trading now,” Meeks said. “The biggest call in technology will be the semiconductor turn. The people who get that right in 2019 are going to make a load of money.”

Google too is about to have death cross. :skull:

1 Like

Also, didn’t Oracle let go Thomas Kurien and a bunch of execs under him? I thought that was because of cloud screwups.

2 Likes

Last summer everyone on here was bullish on stocks. Now all I see is bears.
After weathering 1987, 2001,and 2008, I wonder who on here has the stomach for a real bear market.

1987??? Most people here weren’t born yet, grandpa… :rofl:

1987 - No money to invest
2001 - Nearly wipe out all my savings
2008 - Already seasoned, watching newbies running around like a headless chicken

That’s an apt description of @manch:rofl:

1 Like

Listen to your elders. Wisdom thru time. I remember the nightmare from 1967-1982. Zero stock appreciation.

1 Like

That was 2000-2011. Eleven years of hardship passed. Now rocketing to the :crescent_moon: