We Are in Bear Market

It could be a year of zero to slightly negative return, but not really any kind of bear market.

We can expect temporary upswing after Jan 2019

Job growth falls short of expectations in November: 155,000 payrolls created vs 198,000 estimate.

Means FED won’t increase rate now or later in 2019 - for sure, but economy will be weak later.

I think fed should decrease rates.

1 Like
2 Likes

Just to put it in context, things could have been worse today. Here’s an example of Dec 7th a few years ago.

1 Like

Arrest of Huawei’s Meng Wanzhou Should Outrage Americans - Bloomberg

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-12-07/arrest-of-huawei-s-meng-wanzhou-should-outrage-americans

When the news of Meng’s Dec. 1 arrest first became public a few days ago, leaks to the news mediasuggested she was being held as part of the sanctions investigation. This, in itself, is troubling. First, as a Chinese company that does no business in the U.S., Huawei has no obligation to abide by U.S.-imposed sanctions. Second, if Huawei is doing business with Iran through a bank covered by the sanctions, the bank should be at fault, not the company. Third, even if Huawei did have some obligation to obey the sanctions, the way to enforce that obligation should not include capturing the CFO. And finally, it would appear that sanction violations are merely a pretense. According to the New York Times Meng was arrested to serve as “a warning shot by the Trump administration in its campaign to limit the global spread of Chinese technology.”

China is furious, accusing the U.S. of “resorting to despicable hooliganism” and demanding Meng’s release. That’s to be expected. What I didn’t expect was the absence of any outcry in the U.S. Commentators have focused on the arrest’s effect on tech stocks, and on its potential to further damage U.S.-China relations. But no one seems outraged at the way the U.S. has nabbed a top Chinese executive and appears to want to use her as leverage to make some kind of deal.

But people should be outraged. Even if she is extradited, Meng is never going to be tried or sentenced in the U.S. She and her company matter too much to China — and everyone knows it. She has become a pawn in a high-stakes game.

US doesn’t win against China by being China. Just like US doesn’t win against terrorists by becoming terrorists.

We are the freaking USA. We ought to be better than this.

1 Like

Why should Americans be outraged by that? It’s a bargaining chip for them. There’s no need to hide behind the facade of human rights.

1 Like

Because we don’t want America turning into one of those shithole countries.

2 Likes

America is doing just fine. And so is China. No need to worry about anything and keep invested.

1 Like

This is perfect, there may be trade wars going here and there, temporarily affect both sides, but will finally come to some settlement to benefit both countries.

From now to Dec 31, 2018 any profitable stocks bottomed is good to buy and hold. This is once in blue moon opportunity.

1 Like

Some fun, why I like reddit !

1 Like

Not even close, but yes REF needs more content at times.

Apparently she is being held for giving Iran american technology. I find it out of line to arrest her. They should have cut off the supply of American technology to her company instead.

3 Likes

Yah do to Huawei what they did to ZTE (at least till the Chinese government gave a $500M loan to a Trump Indonesia project at which point they undid the ban on components to ZTE). This hostage taking is beyond the pale. Just ban the component supply.

3 Likes

Trump seems to do many things below board (from what I read, not from deep analysis), what would happen when a Democrat President takes over?

Clean up in Aisle 6

I think this is an inflection point in US China relationship. Short term nothing may seem to have changed on surface. Long term it will steel up China’s resolve to dethrone US and be the biggest bully in the world.

This has thucydides trap written all over it.

1 Like

I think the inflection point was when China’s economy surpassed that of America’s which it has on a ppp basis.