We Are in Bear Market

I am probably preaching to the choir - but this is why we need to keep at it and make sure that our USA brand is strong. The USA is supposed to stand for liberty, rules-based society, freedom, relatively corruption-free govt … to the degree that these are actually perceived as being true, we can continue to attract immigrants and grow our population in the right way.

We want to avoid the population time bomb that Japan is going through, and that China will go through.

image image image

3 Likes

The British empire lasted more than 300 years. USA domination is after WW2, so about 70s years. Given current trend, may not pass 100 years.

1 Like

I don’t think China can surpass US, at least in my lifetime, unless US shoots itself in the foot. It sort of did with Trump but the political system is already self correcting. This country’s strength is in its constitution and institutions. They are still going strong after 300 years.

Which is why it’s so alarming to see Trump and his gang digging at our core foundation.

2 Likes

Is ok if USA gets surpassed by China. Britain is still a great place to live and invest into, even though being surpassed by America. This is what people here failed to see. Additionally, with increasing globalization, it is possible for the elite to live anywhere in a lot of countries without being affected too much by local politics.

Zhou dynasty lasted nearly 800 years. Will the constitution last that long?

By living, you don’t mean become a citizen, right?

Yes. Like my brother. He chose to live in China but his lifestyle there is that of an expat elite.

Chengdu is famous for pretty women. Tell your sister in law.

If my brother liked it there, I think you would too… :smile:

Chengdu => This is near Zhangjiajie Glass Bridge

Any one visited here?

1 Like

I need to read up on Roman Empire history.

Climate change has a potential to reshuffle world order. It seems some countries’ weather could be so screwed up they could become inhabitable, their land can’t produce any crop and lack water etc. These hungry and desperate people could swarm US and Europe and create big strain there? Haven’t seen anyone really thought through the geopolitical implication of climate change. Could be huge.

There could also be another world war but US will have absolute advantage.

Or maybe US turns its back from market economy but China becomes the standard bearer of capitalism?

Anyway China needs to deepen its reforms. So far Xi doesn’t look promising. :-1:

Wow… you are one fearmonger. First trade war and now climate change doom and gloom… :scream:

Have you read this book? It is great. It talks about how societies have failed from changing climates and tries to layout a framework for us to think through going forward.

I recently started to read it for the 2nd tine.

https://www.amazon.com/Collapse-Societies-Choose-Succeed-Revised/dp/0143117009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544238624&sr=8-1&keywords=collapse+jared+diamond+book

Nope. Haven’t read that book. I will look it up. :blush:

Something is not right with Chinese economy. Huge sell off Monday?! :scream:

International crisis is coming. China, France, Britain. And more scary black swans are all over the world. Better to sell quickly.

Mortgage rate kept falling. Will it save the housing market?

No thucydides trap. Athens wasnt trying to openly claim that its their century while trying to steal Spartan resources to become more powerful.

China chickened out from open conflict and prodded its supporters to blame US by quoting world economy, poverty alleviation, world peace …Thats no superpower challenging another superpower. Thats a smart student in class trying to compete with gifted student by cheating and playing victim when called out.

Got to go mano-a-mano. Dont cry victim and try to show that you are about to become superpower at the same time.

In one widely distributed video, an investment consultant named Chen Shouhua drops an iPhone on the floor and smashes it with a hammer. He calls for a nationwide boycott of Apple products in an accompanying article.

“During the Sino-U.S. trade war, let’s not buy any American products and let’s not travel to the United States,” wrote another internet user.

The backlash against the United States can be traced in part to national pride in Huawei, which is seen in China as a homegrown corporate success story — a local firm that has bested foreign rivals to become one of the world’s dominant manufacturers of telecom hardware and other cutting-edge technology.

Even fewer Chinese will be buying real estate here. There could be fewer Chinese students and visitors as well. Education and tourism are two of our two biggest service exports.

Source: Huawei C.F.O. Is Arrested in Canada for Extradition to the U.S. - The New York Times

Actual Issue:

Julian Ku, a professor at Hofstra University Law School, wrote on Twitter that the move was justifiable. “US law prohibits exports of certain US-origin technologies to certain countries,” he said. “When Huawei pays to license certain US tech, it promises not to export to certain countries like Iran. So it is not unreasonable for the US to punish Huawei for flouting this US law.

1 Like