We Are in Bear Market

Your links don’t dispute it either.
Trump got our war dead returned and got Kim to stop firing missiles into the Sea of Japan. No previous administration managed either one of these accomplishments. And sanctions against Russia have been increased. Additionally, Trump has taken us out of the medium range missile agreement that Russia has been violating for years.

1 Like

I don’t care about any of that if the stock market isn’t performing.

1 Like

Lol. Yes, Obama was so tough. He knew of Russia hacking long before the election, and he really punished them for it. Oh wait, he did nothing. Obama and Clinton both talked up a Russia reset, and how a strong Russia was good for America.

Even the conclusion is hilarious, “There’s broad agreement that on election meddling, Obama’s actions — while arguably insufficient to the threat at hand — were stronger than Trump’s. On a broader geopolitical level, there has been a significant degree of consistency between the Obama and Trump administrations in actual U.S. policy, and even a few examples where Trump has gone further than Obama did. That said, Trump’s own record of Russia- and Putin-friendly comments have sent contrary messages about U.S. policy toward Russia.“

They admit Trump policy has gone further, but they rate mostly false based on his comments. That’s idiotic. Weren’t peoole just saying we should speak softly but carry a big stick? We should be publicly complimentary and work behind the scenes to condemn. Trump does exactly that, and he gets called soft. The fact is he’s implemented harder sanctions, been tougher on Ukraine, and was the first to take action on the UK spy poisoning. Those 3 points aren’t disputable, so you’d need a different argument to say he’s weaker on Russia.

You can’t dispute N Korea stopped missile and nuclear testing. They’ve held talks with S Korea for the first time in decades. They participated in the Olympics. We got our dead soldiers back from them. I’d love to see another president’s list of accomplishments that are longer on N Korea. That’s how you’d actually refute the point.

You’re a long-term investor. Better trade agreements will be great long-term even if there’s some short-term pain. You just hold through the bumpiness, and your investments will grow even faster afterwards.

1 Like

Well it’s up about 20% not including dividends since the last election. Earnings are projected to rise another 7% next year. Higher economic growth with still subdued inflation and unemployment at the lowest rate in decades provide a floor on things we didn’t have previously.

It’s not really about the “what” of Trump’s policies, it’s about the “how”. Even for people who agree with exiting from Syria for example, I doubt many like the fact that the decision was made over a phone call with the Turkish president without consultation from Pentagon and SoD.

Some people like to have a chaos monkey in the white house. Most people and businesses don’t.

After the recent stock crash our trade negotiation with China is gonna be lit. Lest we forget, the tariffs on steel and aluminum is still on, even though we import most of our steel from Canada, an ally. How’s our trade war with EU going?

Please don’t joke. It means we are all descendants of incests.

Sex with yourself is not incest. :smile:

1 Like

Do you really believe those people never discussed it? Most of the perception of chaos is from how the media covers and phrases things. There have been so many retractions, people fired, etc. 77% of Americans don’t trust the media. There’s a reason for that. How often do we see headlines that don’t reflect the underlying data or facts? The headline is just to get people to react emotionally to a narrative.

1 Like
2 Likes

The trade agreement I want is unmitigated free trade.

4 Likes

So you’re extrapolating from one guy wasn’t involved in the meeting where the final decision was made to it wasn’t discussed with any of the joint chiefs at all. They’ve obviously been talking about it considering Trump wanted to leave months ago and decided to stay based on their recommendation. Do you think they just never talked about it after that?

This is exactly the type of misleading hyperbole and extrapolation that creates the perception of chaos. Who cares if it’s accurate or not. As long as it fits the emotional narrative, it must be true.

1 Like

Oh yeah there’s real detailed planning involved:

“I don’t think anybody really knows exactly what’s going to happen. I’ve read the same stuff in the newspaper you did, I have a little more knowledge than that, but not a whole lot more.”

— Gen. Robert Neller, commandant of the Marine Corps.

https://www.axios.com/trump-syria-afghanistan-withdrawal-military-generals-confusion-f95d5100-fb62-4f4f-a590-3c7e1cbadb6b.html

2 Likes

I agree. However, why would other countries agree if right now they have a tariff advantage on the US? Do you think they’ll agree to give that up without concessions in return? Other countries would literally be negotiating agaisnt themselves to give up a tariff advantage.

1 Like

America, being the richest nation, should set an example for the rest of the world.

Didn’t Obama announce an end date for troops in Iraq without a plan? You announce the goal, then it’s up to the staff to develop the plan. No one was crying about Obama being chaotic.

2 Likes

To blame the entire market crash on the fed is incredibly dishonest. The fed has told everyone countless times what they planned to do in December. The street has priced in a hike at over 90% odds. In fact the fed signaled they will hike only two more times in 2019 instead of the three originally planned.

So you think we eliminate tariffs and others will follow just because?

Can you find a fed rate increase cycle that didn’t eventually cause a market crash and recession?

2 Likes

Why care about what others do? Do what you think is right.