What Impossible Foods' meatless burger really tastes like

There was a time when grass fed beef wasn’t even a special thing. It’s how cattle were raised. I don’t think people realize how commercial farming has changed what we eat and what is considered normal. Other than lowering the price, the changes for commercial farming are all bad.

1 Like

We are conditioned to eat certain stuffs, behave certain way and think in a certain way. Not many realize that.

1 Like

Fake meat costs three times real beef and is not as healthy. In Argentina all the beef is grass fed and is very inexpensive. Grass fed beef could be cheaper. But people prefer corn and soybean fed meat. So the consumers have decided to buy less environmentally friendly meat? What’s wrong with that?

Someone posted the real screen shot in reddit

1 Like

Eating fake meat because of liberal guilt is stupid. Plenty of great vegetarian dishes. Global warmer fanatics might want to learn how to cook and grow your own food. Sorry but the hypocrisy of the Global Warmers riding around in private jets telling me to ride a bicycle pisses me off. Al Gore needs to stay home and tend his own garden, put more solar on his 10,000sf house and get his fat ass on a bicycle.

2 Likes

She has no clue. Veganism is horrible for the environment unless you’re growing it all yourself.

2 Likes

It remind me of those early days of iPhones, AAPL rises meteorically for months, and quite a few bloggers trade calls and vertical call spreads in the hundred of thousands.

1 Like

Per the largest Burger King franchisee, impossible whopper sales have stabilized and are ~12% of whopper sales. That’s not a huge market share, and it’s not growing anymore.

1 Like

12% of worldwide burger sale is humongous. Likely bigger than seafood and it’s made by just two companies.

Imagine there is only one company in the whole world making shrimp.

Then why aren’t existing beef companies worth trillions? Oh wait, the total value of the US beef market is about $66B a year which includes all cuts of beef. 12% of that is a nice size market, but it’s not game changer big. If they split the market 50/50 at a 10% net profit, that’s $0.4Byr profit at 15x earnings that’s a $6.0B company. It’s already $7.2B. Even is you expand beyond the US which is the biggest beef consumer, the math doesn’t add up.

2 Likes
  1. Why just look at the US market? Shouldn’t you look at the whole world?

2. Why just beef? Impossible already has a sausage product.

3. You sure plant based meat won’t grow from this level? So far the interests has been novelty: “I wonder what it tastes like.” Wait until more people understand what commercial agriculture does to the environment and how they treat the animals. The movement hasn’t even started yet.

4. I already mentioned the duopoly (two Californian companies by the way). If beef is similarly controlled by just two companies, don’t you think they will extract higher margin and thus their companies be worth more?

5. Both Impossible and Beyond have more similarities to biotech than plain old agriculture. That means there is a very high barrier to entry. You can’t just buy a ranch somewhere in Texas and start producing beef. Just their IP is worth billions.

1 Like

Other than liberals, nobody care.

May be developed nations, forget about emerging economy. Only developed nations eat cold storage meats, emerging economy eats fresh organic meat that developed nations would pay a premium for.

1 Like

I care as a capitalist wanting to make some money. Maybe you don’t care about “liberal” money but I do.

Are you telling me in China they all eat fresh organic meat?

There are liberals lurking in China.

Of course we all interested in making money. Thought the sentence is about environment. If pretending to save the environment is similar to Y2K where we can make $$$, I’m in :money_mouth_face:

Go ahead and do your own calculation based on markets, market size, and market share percentage.

You think people aren’t aware of how animals are treated? Why do you thing cage free eggs are labeled that way? Even dairy is now labeled if the cows are pasture raised.

10% net profit is higher than SPY average.

IP worth billions? They spend $18M a year on R&D. That’s not much and means the barrier to entry is low.

Dude, you need to read Michael Pollan’s books.

True meat eaters feel about eating fake meat is the way New Yorkers feel about Chicago pizza. Or probably the way native born Chinese feel about Americanized Chinese food like Panda Express.

Chicago pizza… It’s like “sex with a corpse made of sandpaper.” It’s “an above-ground marinara swimming pool for rats.” It’s “fucking not-pizza.”

I did. That’s why I bought BYND last Monday.

You are welcome to short it if you think we are all lunatics.

1 Like

I pretend not to know that :slight_smile: and you’ve to report this again opportunistically. How many shares have you bought? 1000?